Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There are are lot of cynical views in these pages and for good reason. ENIc/Levy have bled the club dry at times and at others (to make their investment more attractive) have squandered cash on poor choices of manger and players.

No of us really know the plans/machinations of the hierarchy and because we care so much (far more than them clearly) we end up playing a guessing game, speculating about naming rights/club sale/coaching changes etc.

I think we can all agree that ENIC are a leech. Lewis has no interest in THFC as a competitive football entity. Where I’m tempted to have mixed views is on Levy. He’s caught between his masters and his own business ego on the one hand and footballing ambition on the other. I think he’s spent long enough in/around football not to have been negatively effected by our lack of success. The pratt falls, dithering, indecision and rank bad calls are a result of this. His ego wants to believe he can deliver ‘success’ and then make himself and ENIC a bumper profit before they skip off into the sunset. Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

Following on from this do we really want to be owned by a petrochemical sportswashing state, dedicated to selling off the PL as a franchise to be played all around the world?

The time for ENIC to sell up was probably after the stadium opening. COVID scuppered those plans. Now we sit like passive victims/consumers in an increasingly bland crowd, watching dire football and caught in some kind of footballing Stockholm syndrome.

Last thing. All this would be easier to stomach if Spurs were located in a one-club city but we aren’t. The success of Chelsea and Woolwich hugely magnify’s our plight and makes us all the more desperate for success.

We are in a no-win situation. My continuing season on season purchase of a ST makes this one of the worst financial and emotional decision I could make but like many of you I’m an addict, stuck in this fucking nightmare.
You need rehab.

Try your local non league club.

It worked for me.

I could go home and away and spend time with people who were good company.

I just wasn't getting robbed every week or at season ticket renewal.

Failing that; how about AFC Hotspur of Tottenham?

Funny I think COVID showed me that Football does need fans. Everyone hated the games being played in front of empty stadiums.
The FA Cup 3rd round used to be a proper game and get a lot of fans , but you would think if there are all these fans waiting in the wings the stadium will be full.
Yesterday the stadium was full of kids and newbies and still the atmosphere was toxic. It is going to get nastier and nastier if things don't improve.
I agree the Club doesn't care about Legacy Fans and soon there won't be many of us left, but when we are gone the Club will have to compete because a mid table team will not attract the tourists.

I tend not to buy much from the shop , being fat and nearly 60 there is not a lot of appeal for me, but we always get our food / drink in the stadium, I guess you are correct and we should stop giving him our money.

Grassroots football stopped. But top level football played on with no fans and tv money. They don’t need fans. People will stream it anyway. Qatar World Cup showed fans don’t matter too.

How long has it been since FA cup was really relevant? It’s always general Sale as far back as I can remember.

Who’s bringing the toxicity? The kids? The tourists? The legacy fans. A theatre going type crowd is what ENIC would love. Look at the shit you get from stewards just for standing up and clapping.

I understand people will find it hard to give up going as well. So they will always have a solid fanbase. And there’s a new generation waiting in the wings as well.

I just don’t see ENIC selling anyone soon. They are making money. And they are not that reliant on football to do that either.

Part of the problem is that they change like the wind . They are hugely reactionary , nothing is planned , it’s rudderless.
You hire a manager because you like what they’ve done & believe in their vision . I doubt contes vision has changed too much , apart from his expectations of what the club can offer him.

I know the person isn't exactly the most intelligent of people but Jamie Redknapp made a throw away comment about Levy in the Sky studio back when we were struggling under nuno. Obviously he's usually bitter about us because of his dad but it didn't come across like that on this occasion.

It was along the lines go "the trouble with Levy is that he relies on the opinion of the last person he has spoken to".

I thought, now wait a minute, that sounds more than likely. It can only be why he just doesn't have a consistent plan for anything. He should have been replaced when the stadium was finished (which he cocked up btw. Over budget and over time).

I know the person isn't exactly the most intelligent of people but Jamie Redknapp made a throw away comment about Levy in the Sky studio back when we were struggling under nuno. Obviously he's usually bitter about us because of his dad but it didn't come across like that on this occasion.

It was along the lines go "the trouble with Levy is that he relies on the opinion of the last person he has spoken to".

I thought, now wait a minute, that sounds more than likely. It can only be why he just doesn't have a consistent plan for anything. He should have been replaced when the stadium was finished (which he cocked up btw. Over budget and over time).
I'm not surprised at all by this.

It's been 50-50 with ENIC.

For every Jol there has been a Ramos.

For every Carrick there has been a Prince Boateng.

For every Poch there has been a Nuno.

For every Kane there has been a Postiga.

Spurs stumble into the seeds of success and then Levy crashes the train.

Rinse and repeat.

Paul Mitchell's gardening leave is when Levy lost the fucking plot.

It's gone from 50-50 to 80-20 against.

Levy's decision making, as the club has grown, has got worse.

ENIC are small time investors who have entered the big time.

Their time has come and gone.

Stadium naming rights isn't debt.
But if we sign a ten year right, get the first year in and take the planned ten year right to a bank and borrow on it at 1.1%, it is a debt, no? Wasn’t that what you said we should do?
Doesn't matter if we spent 1bn under this ownership

There's no plan or vision in place , it's all scattergun and reactive

That's why nothing will ever work out

Part of the problem is that they change like the wind . They are hugely reactionary , nothing is planned , it’s rudderless.
You hire a manager because you like what they’ve done & believe in their vision . I doubt contes vision has changed too much , apart from his expectations of what the club can offer him.
Couldn’t agree more. My biggest gripe with Levy is bowing to pressure and fucking off plans before giving them a chance to mature.

If we can’t be the richest club out there, spending the most money, I think we have to accept a long term strategy, even if it means some poor results in the meantime. Stability is key.

There are are lot of cynical views in these pages and for good reason. ENIc/Levy have bled the club dry at times and at others (to make their investment more attractive) have squandered cash on poor choices of manger and players.

No of us really know the plans/machinations of the hierarchy and because we care so much (far more than them clearly) we end up playing a guessing game, speculating about naming rights/club sale/coaching changes etc.

I think we can all agree that ENIC are a leech. Lewis has no interest in THFC as a competitive football entity. Where I’m tempted to have mixed views is on Levy. He’s caught between his masters and his own business ego on the one hand and footballing ambition on the other. I think he’s spent long enough in/around football not to have been negatively effected by our lack of success. The pratt falls, dithering, indecision and rank bad calls are a result of this. His ego wants to believe he can deliver ‘success’ and then make himself and ENIC a bumper profit before they skip off into the sunset. Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that.

Following on from this do we really want to be owned by a petrochemical sportswashing state, dedicated to selling off the PL as a franchise to be played all around the world?

The time for ENIC to sell up was probably after the stadium opening. COVID scuppered those plans. Now we sit like passive victims/consumers in an increasingly bland crowd, watching dire football and caught in some kind of footballing Stockholm syndrome.

Last thing. All this would be easier to stomach if Spurs were located in a one-club city but we aren’t. The success of Chelsea and Woolwich hugely magnify’s our plight and makes us all the more desperate for success.

We are in a no-win situation. My continuing season on season purchase of a ST makes this one of the worst financial and emotional decision I could make but like many of you I’m an addict, stuck in this fucking nightmare.
Nailed it. Levelheaded appraisal and very much reflective of my feelings.

Grassroots football stopped. But top level football played on with no fans and tv money. They don’t need fans. People will stream it anyway. Qatar World Cup showed fans don’t matter too.

How long has it been since FA cup was really relevant? It’s always general Sale as far back as I can remember.

Who’s bringing the toxicity? The kids? The tourists? The legacy fans. A theatre going type crowd is what ENIC would love. Look at the shit you get from stewards just for standing up and clapping.

I understand people will find it hard to give up going as well. So they will always have a solid fanbase. And there’s a new generation waiting in the wings as well.

I just don’t see ENIC selling anyone soon. They are making money. And they are not that reliant on football to do that either.
They arent making money until they sell (apart from the bald locust’s ridiculous salary)

What I do agree about views on ENIC is this period now is shit or bust. Fans clearly are getting more frustrated and the board do need to make a decision about what they believe in with Conte. I actually think our signings have got much better since Conte & Parataci arrived but what frustrates me is the time frame of everything. Conte and Levy have got eachother at the throats currently and my fear is they will give Conte the boot and we will be back to square one again and the cycle repeats which benefits absolutely no-one.
Sadly i think the fans will go before they do

They arent making money until they sell (apart from the bald locust’s ridiculous salary)
That's what it's all about though.
Levy and Joe and all the top bods earn a fortune. Everything is set up to guarantee large annual income, that money is reinvested into the club to make more money and they carry on earning big salaries.
That's exactly how any CEO, chairperson etc runs a business.
The problem is (for them) is that most of us don't support a business, we support a football team. Most of us care whether we win on the pitch, not whether the business is winning and everyone is getting paid well

Well, according to your logic, there won't be an empty seat against Portsmouth.

I am part of the 25K and have had a season ticket since 82 but our number is dwindling every year, I know plenty of lads who have just had enough, not all to do with the football, travel ,time lost etc, but a lot of had their fill of ENIC.

Another important point tourists don't just come to watch the football, they also come to be part of the atmosphere / crowd. I have been at matches abroad where the opposition fans have been taking photos and watching the Spurs Fans not the game. The Spurs / English fans are as much of a draw as the team and without the home grown fans the tourists won't come.

The season ticket list you mention is also nonsense, my wife is a member and has only been one for 5/6 years, she has been offered a season ticket twice. Its all smoke and mirrors.

ENIC need to keep the fans onside cause without us they are lost. They need us to sell their product and we are very much part of that product.
I think Portsmouth will be pretty full , lot of Portsmouth fans will come

That's what it's all about though.
Levy and Joe and all the top bods earn a fortune. Everything is set up to guarantee large annual income, that money is reinvested into the club to make more money and they carry on earning big salaries.
That's exactly how any CEO, chairperson etc runs a business.
The problem is (for them) is that most of us don't support a business, we support a football team. Most of us care whether we win on the pitch, not whether the business is winning and everyone is getting paid well
No it’s not. Lewis doesn’t get paid and many companies have a CEO on a salary but not coupled with a 30% personal stake!

Back
Top Bottom