Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Given where the club are financially and infrastructure wise, I don't think we could sell to a worse entity.
By that, I mean any buyer is going to need to be seriously wealthy. It's never gonna be an opportunity purchase like the days when Sugar bought us, Chelsea got sold for a quid etc. Anyone even contemplating buying Spurs is gonna be a proper billionaire/billion dollar company. The idea we'd get sold and a new owner would behave small-time is mad.

The reality is, who is there that can afford it?

You could have someone like the Glazers as wurst case.

I think anyone who buys now will be pushing for the ESL to happen medium to long term. People probably need to accept that’s the long term future when clubs are valued in the billions

I think anyone who buys now will be pushing for the ESL to happen medium to long term. People probably need to accept that’s the long term future when clubs are valued in the billions
Makes sense. No need for the FIFA and UEFA mafia gravy trains to keep hold of so much of the revenue generated by the clubs

How? I know he’s wealthy but his payday is when the club is sold. They paid c.£30M, invested 10M and 22+ years later he gets back 70% of the £2BN+ it goes for.
So what, you think he's coughed up millions and is now just waiting without earning a penny, until he sells up?

You're getting more and more insane with every passing week dude.

They paid £790m for United.
I don't think it's outrageous to suggest anything less than quadruple that amount, isn't going to get ENIC to even bat an eyelid.

Shall we have a bet on how early the season ticket renewal window will start and end this season?

The usual process seems to be well before the end of the season, have a little bit of positivity leaked to the mouth piece media, 40k cough up a grand or more and then it goes to pot.

Given it feels like things are going to pot earlier than usual..... maybe a 1 week window next week?

I'm not hardcore Enic in or out to be honest as I don't think they are the type of owners to give a damn what fans think, but I do keep my own little spreadsheets for on and off field Tottenham related figures.

One thing I frequently see being complained about is our LACK of investment in transfers, so will share the current, up to date chart of have of a rolling average transfer net spend over 3 season periods for the entirety of Enic's tenure.

3yrave.png

(Totals in millions of Euros)

The money is getting spent on transfers with a noticeable (and understandable) dip during the years of stadium construction. But but to honest it's already like double what it was previous to the stadium build. Only time will tell if that continues and at what rate.

How the money is spent is a completely different matter. How negotiations are handled, the logic behind manager sackings and appointments, etc. etc.

Also here is a chart of our salary costs since 2005 including non football staff as these appear to be the only totals on the annual financial statements released by the club. Waiting for 2022 to drop any day now really - isn't it late already?

salary.png

(Totals in millions of GBP year by year)

Yes inflation and increased TV revenues etc are a thing but we are close to spending 7 times what we were in salaries over a 17 year period.

Make of them what you will. Personally I respond best to numbers and facts rather than emotional opinions - especially on the back of a couple of on field defeats!
This is a good post which if correct clearly shows the increase in spending, the problem is fans are frustrated with the board because the playing staff and management didn't get us over the line in numerous semi-finals and Finals we have played in over the years.

Genuine question, if the players and management managed to win trophies would the view on ENIC be much more positive?

This is a good post which if correct clearly shows the increase in spending, the problem is fans are frustrated with the board because the playing staff and management didn't get us over the line in numerous semi-finals and Finals we have played in over the year.

Genuine question, if the players and management managed to win trophies would the view on ENIC be much more positive?

To a degree yes it would show they can get across the line. But we have had Poch, Jose, Conte all winners (yes even Poch even if it was with PSG) and them fail with us so we are the problem.

Trophies are not everything, good football with a clear long term vision is just if not more important. We have had that once with Pochettino and that is it. Whether we spend lots of money or no money we look like we have no plan. It’s all short term plays without any deeper thought of style and squad composition.

They paid £790m for United.
I don't think it's outrageous to suggest anything less than quadruple that amount, isn't going to get ENIC to even bat an eyelid.
Judging by the recent increase of their shareholding they value the club at far more than that. Unless someone thinks we are better value than United or Liverpool, I think the chances of us being sold are close to 0%

To a degree yes it would show they can get across the line. But we have had Poch, Jose, Conte all winners (yes even Poch even if it was with PSG) and them fail with us so we are the problem.

Trophies are not everything, good football with a clear long term vision is just if not more important. We have had that once with Pochettino and that is it. Whether we spend lots of money or no money we look like we have no plan. It’s all short term plays without any deeper thought of style and squad composition.
100% agree and this strategy of employing managers for short term success is a silly strategy to go down if you are not willing to completely get behind it. We almost do things half hearted. The worst thing with our strategy is we haven't been a million miles away from being such a fantastic well run club for whatever reason we as a club cannot get over the line in anything. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

ENIC's model and the way they run the club is very effective, it's only because of clubs likes Chelsea, Man City and now Newcastle which make winning the league so much more difficult.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side and all this ENIC out stuff could always come back to bite the club in the arse.

This is a good post which if correct clearly shows the increase in spending, the problem is fans are frustrated with the board because the playing staff and management didn't get us over the line in numerous semi-finals and Finals we have played in over the years.

Are you suggesting that ENIC have zero accountability for 20 years of leadership? Would this excuse work in any other environment?

"Ok yes I hired another bunch of people to work for me and they failed, but it wasn't my fault, they just couldn't get us over the line. The 10th manager I hired this year isn't working and really that's his fault, the big failure."

They are accountable, stop being an apologist !!!

Are you suggesting that ENIC have zero accountability for 20 years of leadership? Would this excuse work in any other environment?

"Ok yes I hired another bunch of people to work for me and they failed, but it wasn't my fault, they just couldn't get us over the line. The 10th manager I hired this year isn't working and really that's his fault, the big failure."

If you read my previous posts you'll see that I don't sit with Daniel Levy t-shirts, I've consistently said that it's a collective failure as a club why we haven't won more which is the reality of why there is a growing amount of outrage.

But if we had won trophies on the playing pitch and not bottled it in big moments and yes I'm talking about Poch era, Harry Kane not turning up in finals and numerous others would the opinion be different?

Slag of Daniel Levy and ENIC all you want on their strategy but they are not responsible when the players go out on the pitch in semi finals and Finals. If we weren't good enough to get there we wouldn't have been there in the first place.

And yes it is about spending.
Data can always be cherry picked to show how much each team has or hasn’t spent.
Woolwich consistently invest more despite lower income.

But above all the cherry picking as Spurs fans we KNOW from experience they always cheapskate it and usually at the worst time. Then point to the one or two big spends as reasons to blame somewhere else. But why Spend 50m on Tanguy then fire Poch who was the one pushing to sign him? Would we have lost all the Best scouts if they were getting paid or rewarded?

If you read my previous posts you'll see that I don't sit with Daniel Levy t-shirts, I've consistently said that it's a collective failure as a club why we haven't won more which is the reality of why there is a growing amount of outrage.

But if we had won trophies on the playing pitch and not bottled it in big moments and yes I'm talking about Poch era, Harry Kane not turning up in finals and numerous others would the opinion be different?

Slag of Daniel Levy and ENIC all you want on their strategy but they are not responsible when the players go out on the pitch in semi finals and Finals. If we weren't good enough to get there we wouldn't have been there in the first place.
We were underdogs in the majority of those semis and finals

Back
Top Bottom