Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stadium late. massively over budget with no naming rights deal, sackable offence individually, collectively unforgivable. At least in the world I live in
A lot of major projects are late, and if I remember correctly it was an issue with the electrics rather than things just running late. Not good at all but I don't see that as an example of the club being run badly. The club also seem pretty comfortable to wait over the naming rights. It's not a deal breaker for the future of the club.

A lot of major projects are late, and if I remember correctly it was an issue with the electrics rather than things just running late. Not good at all but I don't see that as an example of the club being run badly. The club also seem pretty comfortable to wait over the naming rights. It's not a deal breaker for the future of the club.
Do you remember the saga over the electrics , it was a shambles , who hired the contractors . He had so many people scrambling nobody knew what anyone was doing , workers were openly talking about the chaos IIRC
But here is the kicker Levy got his degree in economics and land economy from Cambridge , ( I admit I got that from Wiki but I only checked it to refresh my memory ) , so if he was meant to be an expert in one field it should of been the stadium from my perspective

The plan at Tottenham was very clear. Buy young players, develop them and sell them when their value peaks (Bale, Modric, Berbatov, Walker). The money gained would then be used to pay off the stadium or reinvested into the team. Between 2012-2017 our netspend was £1mil.

This plan generally changed from 2017 onwards. We started to spend considerably more on players and no longer sold our best players. On paper this sounds great, but it has a few issues.

1) In the past 5 years we are possibly one of the worst clubs in England at recruitment. Our "most expensive transfer list" is a who's who of flops and mediocrity, whether it's Ndombele or Sissoko. Go and look it up, genuinely. We have wasted hundreds of millions on some of the worst players in the league. We have no idea how to spend big money. Kulu/Benty are an anomaly, not the rule.

Our only successful large money transfer is Romero. This is appalling.

2) We largely gave up on developing youth. Due to a mix of Poch's loyalty/stagnant team selection, Mourinho and Conte wanting the finished product and poor youth recruitment, young players weren't given a chance. Young, talented players like KWP and Foyth were let go for peanuts, only to thrive elsewhere and I'm sure it will be the same for Spence. The fact we may bring back Marcus Edwards, our own youth player, to the tune of £30 mil only highlights this.

Do you really think Parrott or Scarlett are going to get a chance next year? I don't.

3) We keep our best players far beyond their sell by date. It seems like the plan is now, "Sell no one good, buy expensive additions", this is unrealistic and childish. Even the biggest clubs in the world cash in when an opportunity is presented to them (E.g. Sterling, Jesus, Torres and Sane leaving Man City for £200mil+). There's nothing wrong with selling players who are good, as long as they're replaced. The fact we turned down United's £50mil offer for Dier now looks incredibly stupid.

The club is a ticking time bomb, because we refuse to sell anyone good, making us overly reliant on old players. Once Son and Kane leave, it will cost us at least £200 mil just to replace them.

4) Levy is hiring managers just to gain media attention. There is no grand plan for Mourinho or Conte. It's obvious they were never going to be supported or suitable. Levy just wants media buzz for the club (Maybe to make it easier to sell), with no care for the consequences

We went from a well run club with a plan to this mess. There is no plan, only Levy's ego and a board just waiting to betray every manager they hire. The ownership has failed in every aspect of the footballing side of the club - knowing when to spend, who to spend on, when to sell, who to keep and who to appoint. Even the commercial side has not gone well - where are those magical naming rights, which would bring in £30-40 million a year?

We haven't progressed since 2017.

Levy out. Enic out.
That wins post of the year. Bravo Sir.

Why do people get so hung up about the naming rights?
When the local council was investigating how feasible Tottenham's plans were and whether they should be giving permission to build the new stadium Levy provided evidence that companies were lining up to buy the naming rights for it. He said this would play a large part in paying off the stadium - £400 million over 10 years.

It's been 4 years. Either he lied or he's such a pain in the arse that all these companies pulled out.

£30 mil, instead of £40, over the past 4 years would have done us a world of good if that money went into the team.

Why do people get so hung up about the naming rights?
Well if you get say a 10 year deal 5 years ago at 20 million a year , money was free back then and without dipping into their pockets they could have leveraged that income ,

Perhaps you should look at it that if there is so little value in it where possible why do stadiums do it . Do you really believe people want to be called the Home Depot stadium etc etc . They do it for the money , now if our stadium is everything ENIC profess it to be , it should have been easy and at a healthy number , it remains unnamed not because ENIC are so attached to the name Tottenham Stadium that’s for sure

Having £20m a season extra in the grand scheme of things isn’t a make or break but it does look like a weird missed opportunity.
Does it?

I've said before that surely having the name 'Totenham Hotspur Stadium' mentioned countless times for football, boxing, NFL, etc is better for the club than say 'The Google Arena'...

Having £20m a season extra in the grand scheme of things isn’t a make or break but it does look like a weird missed opportunity.

But then you could argue that getting the Tottenham Hotspur name out there (in the USA largely due to the NFL) is just as beneficial.

Not bothered at all about the lack of naming rights. Far more bothered about the mismanagement of transfers etc.

Do you remember the saga over the electrics , it was a shambles , who hired the contractors . He had so many people scrambling nobody knew what anyone was doing , workers were openly talking about the chaos IIRC
But here is the kicker Levy got his degree in economics and land economy from Cambridge , ( I admit I got that from Wiki but I only checked it to refresh my memory ) , so if he was meant to be an expert in one field it should of been the stadium from my perspective
Surprising isn’t it . He’s previous ventures look so organized & not cheap at all

Does it?

I've said before that surely having the name 'Totenham Hotspur Stadium' mentioned countless times for football, boxing, NFL, etc is better for the club than say 'The Google Arena'...

£20m per year probably means 1-2 extra top players if that money is invested in the playing staff. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but something.

But then you could argue that getting the Tottenham Hotspur name out there (in the USA largely due to the NFL) is just as beneficial.

Not bothered at all about the lack of naming rights. Far more bothered about the mismanagement of transfers etc.

Well yes mismanagement is the biggest issue by far, no argument from me for that.

better for the club
How is having your name mentioned many times better for the club? Fame in and of itself does not translate to new fans or new revenue.

We play the most popular sport in the world in the most popular league in the world and were Champions League finalists. Tottenham are already famous enough, probably for all the wrong reasons, that having our name mentioned in a boxing match provides virtually no value - certainly not £20-40 million worth.

Appreciate he isn’t everyone ”Cup of tea”. But thought this was very good from Ally Gold. First time I’ve really seen him go for Levy and Enic. Spot on as well about us being a Poundland Chelsea for the likes of Jose and Conte.

Ali Gold nailed this and there is no quick fix to the problems.

Others outside the Spurs bubble notice as well. He ‘’does everything on the short term’’

We tried the long term plan with Poch and Levy stuffed it up, then stabbed Poch in the back when people were critical of him. The fact is most fans won't stick around for another long term project and buying youngsters to develop in 2-3 years.

Were not Torquay United , we’re in the biggest , most televised league in the world . I’m not really sure that a fan of American football hearing our name does anything. 😊

Back
Top Bottom