Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"To reach the final against Liverpool on 1 June is something we have all achieved together. Everyone contributes to a team - staff, players, management and fans.
No one person can do this alone........"

Very interesting. Almost sounds like he's deliberately trying to downplay Poch's super hero status with the fans

:sonhmm:
Give it a fucking rest just for one day in your life. Maybe you should try and post "other" Tottenham stuff like the rest of us, it certainly is a more enjoyable way to follow your team and for others to engage in too.

"To reach the final against Liverpool on 1 June is something we have all achieved together. Everyone contributes to a team - staff, players, management and fans.

Very interesting. Almost sounds like he's deliberately trying to downplay Poch's super hero status with the fans

:avbfacepalm:

And what was the hidden message here:

I am delighted for Mauricio and the team – it is so well deserved and evidence of the truly amazing spirit we have within this squad. I hope they realise the total joy and exhilaration they have given us fans. We are so proud of them all.

Looks like Levy has been drinking the Pochettino Koolaid...sounds like he's bought into the whole idea of the collective and that universal energy stuff...

Oh wind your neck in. Jesus Christ. Desperation doesn't suit you mate, you're better than that.

Even for you, this is pathetic.

0_GettyImages-1003374.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur's chairman Daniel Levy marks his 18th year at the club this year but what did say to the fans when he joined way back in 2001 and what holds up today?

The 57-year-old is approaching the end of a season which finally brought the opening of the club's new stadium, adding to the club's state-of-the-art training complex, and he will watch on in Madrid as Spurs play in their first ever Champions League final.

Back in 2001 the club's matchday programme ran a piece from Levy on his arrival at Spurs, which in itself was an article which had been published first in the Sunday Business magazine 'Business and Pleasure'.

Twitter user @thedarkpav dug up the old programme notes and we at football.london have typed them all up for you in their entirety.

There's plenty of interest in there for the fans of today with the Spurs chairman back then looking to the future and the nod towards a team built around young players but he also got it very wrong about how long he would be chairman for.

Here are those programme notes in full:

"I will head to Upton Park for this afternoon's FA Cup quarter-final between Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham with extra-heady excitement. FA Cup matches are always special occasions for Spurs fans, but when you've just helped your company take a controlling interest in the club, you feel the anticipation all the more. I’m non-executive chairman at Spurs but hope to have appointed someone else by the end of the season.

"In the meantime, I’m not going to be one of those high-profile chairmen. I'm pretty low-key, and I'm not Alan Sugar’s direct replacement. Plenty of people have suggested my support for Tottenham lay behind ENIC's decision to take a 29.9 per cent stake. It's not true. I've followed the Spurs since I was eight-years-old but I'm not a fanatical fan. The decision was made on business grounds, but obviously it is an advantage that I have been following the club for so long.

"We wanted to buy a club in England, and we decided early on that it should be in London. With apologies, there are only three big clubs in the capital Woolwich, Tottenham and Chelsea and Tottenham was available. We want to bring back to White Hart Lane the sense of tradition and occasion that seems to have slipped away.

"I think fans will see that we'll be a caring owner. i know exactly what it‘s like to be an ordinary supporter. (Do you know, not a single fellow season-ticket holder in the West Stand has ever tackled me about plans for the club or suggested what should be changed? I don't think they know who I am).

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy back near the start of his time at the club
"l realise how infuriating it is when my son can’t get a packet of Maltesers at half-time because they’ve run out. I know what it's like to walk down a corridor in the grandstand and feel as if you’re in jail as the walls are unpainted and bare. There are corporate areas at White Hart Lane with photographs on the wall but no captions; other areas with no pictures on the wail and nothing to signify the club’s history.

"They’re important to a club’s atmosphere. I teamed a lot from being a non-executive director of Rangers. When you walk into Ibrox, you can smell the history. You’re made to feel proud to be at Rangers, whether you're a director, a player or a spectator and that's what we need to achieve at Tottenham.

"One of the five other football clubs which ENIC has a stake in is Slavia Prague. We’ve invested around £3.5million in the club’s infrastructure and taken a controlling Interest. To British ears that may not sound much, but in the Czech Republic even a tenner goes a long way.

"Slavia, depending on whose opinion you believe, are either the biggest or second-biggest club in the country and qualify regularly for European competition. The Czech Republic’s national team is strong and the country is not far away from being admitted to the European Union. It also produces a stream of exciting young talent. So for a relatively small sum, we invested in a team with history and strong prospects.

"ENIC now has stakes in six clubs around Europe, but ridiculous restrictions recently put in place by UEFA, are already stifling investment. It has ruled that two teams which share one majority owner cannot play against each other in European competition. I can't understand UEFA’s reservations because the sort of collusion it seems to fear is already illegal. A public company such as ENIC would not, could not, dream of doing anything to fix any result. It would be impossible to accomplish and impossible to keep quiet.

"We hear rumours on the footballing grapevine an astonishingly efficient network that other owners in Europe allegedly influence what their clubs do, but they’re always about privately owned clubs which face far fewer restrictions. There should be complete transparency within club ownership and I want UEFA to introduce tests to ensure that you are "fit and proper" to own a club.

"Alan Sugar rescued Tottenham from bankruptcy, provided it with fantastic faculties, and the manner in which he was hounded from office was unfair. Sir Alan faced the same challenges we do now balancing the needs of shareholders, who want profit, with those of the fans, who want success on the pitch. Sometimes, the two do not go together. It is a balancing act. But Tottenham Hotspur is a public company, and, regardless of who is on the board, it has to stand up for itself.

"Everyone has their favourite players and I’m not giving away any secrets if I say Spurs heroes Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker are mine but I've no intention of telling manager George Graham who he should select.

"Everyone wants to see exciting, stylish football but most fans want one thing to see us at the top of the league. The balance between being cavalier and dour is a matter of opinion, and typically every fan has a different opinion. While I won’t tell George who to pick or buy, I will take an interest in the way we develop youngsters.

"Investing in youth takes time, but is vital to a club's long-term stability and It’s an area we want to put significant financial resources. Young players are important; so too are young fans.

"When I first went to a Tottenham game with my uncle 30 years ago, I bought a large rosette - whatever happened to them? On my way, I ate a hot dog, and loved the experience even though l ended up freezing. Plenty of clubs have hiked up admission charges. leaving young supporters unable to afford to get into the game, and that’s short-term thinking.

"Football must make sure it‘s tempting young fans through the gates because today’s wide-eyed youngster is tomorrow‘s season-ticket holder. Talking of which, I‘m now faced with a dilemma. For years, I’ve taken my usual seat in the West Stand. Now I’ll have no choice but to dress formally and watch from the director's box even though. in my heart, I’d rather be cheering from my normal seat. But the problem is what to do With my season ticket. Give It back, pass It on, or keep it for the odd trip back to my spiritual home? Decisions. decisions...."

Tottenham Hotspur's chairman Daniel Levy marks his 18th year at the club this year but what did say to the fans when he joined way back in 2001 and what holds up today?

The 57-year-old is approaching the end of a season which finally brought the opening of the club's new stadium, adding to the club's state-of-the-art training complex, and he will watch on in Madrid as Spurs play in their first ever Champions League final.

Back in 2001 the club's matchday programme ran a piece from Levy on his arrival at Spurs, which in itself was an article which had been published first in the Sunday Business magazine 'Business and Pleasure'.

Twitter user @thedarkpav dug up the old programme notes and we at football.london have typed them all up for you in their entirety.

There's plenty of interest in there for the fans of today with the Spurs chairman back then looking to the future and the nod towards a team built around young players but he also got it very wrong about how long he would be chairman for.

"I will head to Upton Park for this afternoon's FA Cup quarter-final between Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham with extra-heady excitement. FA Cup matches are always special occasions for Spurs fans, but when you've just helped your company take a controlling interest in the club, you feel the anticipation all the more. I’m non-executive chairman at Spurs but hope to have appointed someone else by the end of the season.

"In the meantime, I’m not going to be one of those high-profile chairmen. I'm pretty low-key, and I'm not Alan Sugar’s direct replacement. Plenty of people have suggested my support for Tottenham lay behind ENIC's decision to take a 29.9 per cent stake. It's not true. I've followed the Spurs since I was eight-years-old but I'm not a fanatical fan. The decision was made on business grounds, but obviously it is an advantage that I have been following the club for so long.

"We wanted to buy a club in England, and we decided early on that it should be in London. With apologies, there are only three big clubs in the capital Woolwich, Tottenham and Chelsea and Tottenham was available. We want to bring back to White Hart Lane the sense of tradition and occasion that seems to have slipped away.

"I think fans will see that we'll be a caring owner. i know exactly what it‘s like to be an ordinary supporter. (Do you know, not a single fellow season-ticket holder in the West Stand has ever tackled me about plans for the club or suggested what should be changed? I don't think they know who I am).

"l realise how infuriating it is when my son can’t get a packet of Maltesers at half-time because they’ve run out. I know what it's like to walk down a corridor in the grandstand and feel as if you’re in jail as the walls are unpainted and bare. There are corporate areas at White Hart Lane with photographs on the wall but no captions; other areas with no pictures on the wail and nothing to signify the club’s history.

"They’re important to a club’s atmosphere. I teamed a lot from being a non-executive director of Rangers. When you walk into Ibrox, you can smell the history. You’re made to feel proud to be at Rangers, whether you're a director, a player or a spectator and that's what we need to achieve at Tottenham.

"One of the five other football clubs which ENIC has a stake in is Slavia Prague. We’ve invested around £3.5million in the club’s infrastructure and taken a controlling Interest. To British ears that may not sound much, but in the Czech Republic even a tenner goes a long way.

"Slavia, depending on whose opinion you believe, are either the biggest or second-biggest club in the country and qualify regularly for European competition. The Czech Republic’s national team is strong and the country is not far away from being admitted to the European Union. It also produces a stream of exciting young talent. So for a relatively small sum, we invested in a team with history and strong prospects.

"ENIC now has stakes in six clubs around Europe, but ridiculous restrictions recently put in place by UEFA, are already stifling investment. It has ruled that two teams which share one majority owner cannot play against each other in European competition. I can't understand UEFA’s reservations because the sort of collusion it seems to fear is already illegal. A public company such as ENIC would not, could not, dream of doing anything to fix any result. It would be impossible to accomplish and impossible to keep quiet.

"We hear rumours on the footballing grapevine an astonishingly efficient network that other owners in Europe allegedly influence what their clubs do, but they’re always about privately owned clubs which face far fewer restrictions. There should be complete transparency within club ownership and I want UEFA to introduce tests to ensure that you are "fit and proper" to own a club.

"Alan Sugar rescued Tottenham from bankruptcy, provided it with fantastic faculties, and the manner in which he was hounded from office was unfair. Sir Alan faced the same challenges we do now balancing the needs of shareholders, who want profit, with those of the fans, who want success on the pitch. Sometimes, the two do not go together. It is a balancing act. But Tottenham Hotspur is a public company, and, regardless of who is on the board, it has to stand up for itself.

"Everyone has their favourite players and I’m not giving away any secrets if I say Spurs heroes Paul Gascoigne and Gary Lineker are mine but I've no intention of telling manager George Graham who he should select.

"Everyone wants to see exciting, stylish football but most fans want one thing to see us at the top of the league. The balance between being cavalier and dour is a matter of opinion, and typically every fan has a different opinion. While I won’t tell George who to pick or buy, I will take an interest in the way we develop youngsters.

"Investing in youth takes time, but is vital to a club's long-term stability and It’s an area we want to put significant financial resources. Young players are important; so too are young fans.

"When I first went to a Tottenham game with my uncle 30 years ago, I bought a large rosette - whatever happened to them? On my way, I ate a hot dog, and loved the experience even though l ended up freezing. Plenty of clubs have hiked up admission charges. leaving young supporters unable to afford to get into the game, and that’s short-term thinking.

"Football must make sure it‘s tempting young fans through the gates because today’s wide-eyed youngster is tomorrow‘s season-ticket holder. Talking of which, I‘m now faced with a dilemma. For years, I’ve taken my usual seat in the West Stand. Now I’ll have no choice but to dress formally and watch from the director's box even though. in my heart, I’d rather be cheering from my normal seat. But the problem is what to do With my season ticket. Give It back, pass It on, or keep it for the odd trip back to my spiritual home? Decisions. decisions...."
" the Spurs"
:deledoubt:
#levyout

Levy just didn't look right with hair. I'm glad he embraced his baldness. Beautiful bald man.

"The people and the players that know him very well, and this week he was here at the training ground, talking with the players and all of us. He said, thank you, we are living a dream and it is amazing all we are achieving until today."

"Some of the players said, 'it is amazing, Daniel is more human!' It is a side he never showed too much. He was always more distant, trying to keep the emotion inside."

"Now, I do not know why, but his improvement is like, 'if the manager is crying, why can I not show more my emotion? It is not so bad'. But sometimes people in business believe they cannot show that. It is like in poker, you cannot show your emotion."

"He was like a little bit this type of person who cannot show his emotion. He was believing it was a show you are weak. Now he is believing on the opposite side. This transformation of the club, that we feel very well, he is a good example of how it is changing."

Only gotta look at the cunts who just beat us to see how you can turn heartbreak into victory. If they want whats best for us they need to plug the holes in the squad. Cause it's painfully obvious where 3 great players away from greatness our selves

Only gotta look at the cunts who just beat us to see how you can turn heartbreak into victory. If they want whats best for us they need to plug the holes in the squad. Cause it's painfully obvious where 3 great players away from greatness our selves

With our current squad yes mate we are but the problem is, this current squad is getting older, Toby and Eriksen will likely be off and they aren't going to be easy to replace either.

You only have to look at our starting 11 and their current age to see how much rebuilding this team will need over the next few seasons.

Back
Top Bottom