Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Haven't read, but the description seems apt. It also seems cynical, but you simply can't escape from wondering what degree the B'ham vs. London dynamic plays into that.
It helps a bit, but as evidenced by the mess that is West Ham it's no guarantee of success. Liverpool is highly unattractive as a place to live compared to London but that doesn't stop them making big signings.
It's all about how the club is run and its reputation.

Villa v Bournemouth, 3rd Division 1972. Crowd of over 48,000, and not too many away fans I'd have thought. On MoTD too.

Massive support that culminated in that decade with them winning the 1st Division and then the European Cup, all seems a long way off now.

Haven't read, but the description seems apt. It also seems cynical, but you simply can't escape from wondering what degree the B'ham vs. London dynamic plays into that.

West Ham, Crystal Palace, Leyton Orient (on the cusp of Championship playoffs to non league football in about 3 seasons......)

Or even Aston Villa and Birmingham v Wolves. Wolves are on an upward trajectory whereas Aston Villa and Birmingham are not....all down to management of their finances by the owners.

London helps those who help themselves but its just an extra card - its not a guarantee of success.

It helps a bit, but as evidenced by the mess that is West Ham it's no guarantee of success. Liverpool is highly unattractive as a place to live compared to London but that doesn't stop them making big signings.
But due to sport, music, and culture to foreigners London, Liverpool, and Manchester basically are England. More people abroad will probably be able to locate Newcastle than Birmingham. I would expect if you surveyed foreigners on the 2 largest cities in England less than 1% would correctly respond with Birmingham as #2.

Most players for Liverpool and Manchester clubs live in Alderley Edge or other nice Cheshire towns and villages. I don't think how nice (or not) a city Liverpool is has too much bearing these days

But due to sport, music, and culture to foreigners London, Liverpool, and Manchester basically are England. More people abroad will probably be able to locate Newcastle than Birmingham. I would expect if you surveyed foreigners on the 2 largest cities in England less than 1% would correctly respond with Birmingham as #2.

Reminds of the true (?) story:
Researches went into cities and asked 1000 people which was England's 'second city'. Most Brummies said Birmingham, most Mancs said Manchester, most Scousers said London......

Reminds of the true (?) story:
Researches went into cities and asked 1000 people which was England's 'second city'. Most Brummies said Birmingham, most Mancs said Manchester, most Scousers said London......
Most scousers were in Birmingham and Manchester, burgling people who were still in the shops answering surveys on Britain's second city.

This is a very good read and it is always interesting to get the perspective of fans from other clubs.

My friends who support other clubs (United, Dippers, Chavs) always speak highly of how well run we are.

Ironically in the 90s. I used to look at Villa regularly finishing top 6, European football, couple of title challenges and 2 league cups thrown in and think that should be us, we're just as big.

I take it you've never been to Birmingham?

It has a huge number of first and second generation immigrants, higher percentage of population than anywhere apart from London.

I take it you've never been to Birmingham?

It has a huge number of first and second generation immigrants, higher percentage of population than anywhere apart from London.
I've never been to Birmingham, no. I do know a few people from Birmingham, and I get that there's a huge immigrant population. So maybe I exaggerated slightly, but I still sincerely believe very few people would realize it's the 2nd largest city in the country. There are just many other cities in the UK that have a much larger profile and name recognition.

Most players for Liverpool and Manchester clubs live in Alderley Edge or other nice Cheshire towns and villages. I don't think how nice (or not) a city Liverpool is has too much bearing these days
Well yes, exactly my point really. Birmingham has plenty of nearby towns with expensive gated communities, Bentley dealers and tanning salons for the WAGs too. Living in London proper does have some appeal to overseas players no doubt but ultimately it's down to things like management, wages and club prestige.

Horsenosher #14
images

Back
Top Bottom