Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worth noting that AWB also has poor defensive figures - despite costing ManU £50m.

How are AWB's defensive figures 'poor'? Almost tops the tackles p90 + interceptions p90 stat.

The most depressing thing is that we didn't sign Pereira for £19m, an absolute bargain as we now all know.

Last edited:
Also rates Max Arrons really poorly who has been mentioned here before. I'm not sure how much to trust those stats though.
How are AWB's defensive figures 'poor'? Almost tops the tackles p90 + interceptions p90 stat.

Apologies I was misreading the defensive part of the chart - in effect got it the wrong way round.

The higher up the chart the more tackles and interceptions per 90.

I've altered my commentary accordingly

Think the chart can be helpful, but also shows how well a team is playing.

Robertson and Arnold are high up the progression ladder because of the way Pool plays wide and they are covered by their midfield.

Cesar? They play a back three so he is also up the field making runs.

Tackle numbers may be low for KWP, but not that bad when you consider he has played probably 100 less games in his career on average and so is being a little more cautious?

I think we are being overly harsh on a kid that has shown promise. The team is fucking up, not this kid

KWP may be young but he's far more trustworthy a defender than that walking red-card Aurier. If Poch wants to right the ship this would be a good place to start.

Not sure. But he should be first choice here. He signed a new contract recently, didn't he? Of course he's going to cock up here and there but he needs regular playing time now. Aurier's out, surely, so give the kid a chance to prove himself.

An independent look at all the full backs in PL

No surprise that KWP is shown as above average in progression and below average in tackles and interceptions.

Rose is similar to KWP in progression but slightly better for making tackles and interceptions

Aurier is poorer than either in progression and makes more tackles and interceptiins

Worth looking at where Ricardo Pereira is - far better in progression and makes more tackles and interceptions . Aurier was signed in preference to Pereira despite them being both available for the same price in the same transfer window.

Worth noting that AWB is not as good on progression but makes lots of tackles and intrrceptions.

One player we seemed to make no move on was Robertson when Hull were relegated - maybe we felt we were ok at LB. But he's now possibly the best LB in the country and cost about £8m for Liverpool do easily within our price range. Big mistake not to make a move for him.

KWP ahead of Wan Bassaka for progression and ahead of Walker on T90 and I90.

Robertson and Arnold are high up the progression ladder because of the way Pool plays wide and they are covered by their midfield.

Tackle numbers may be low for KWP, but not that bad when you consider he has played probably 100 less games in his career on average and so is being a little more cautious?

I think we are being overly harsh on a kid that has shown promise. The team is fucking up, not this kid

You could also argue that Liverpool play well because they have two fantastically progressive and productive FB's.

But agree with your last line.

You could also argue that Liverpool play well because they have two fantastically progressive and productive FB's.

But agree with your last line.

Agree, they see plenty of the ball and do great things with it. But I don’t think they get that freedom and have the success they have if they don’t have machines in midfield (Wijnaldum is quietly becoming one of my faves) and the best pair of CBs.

Pool are playing like we used to when we were younger. The only thing being they are deeper and I think Klopp is further along in his trade.

Can't help but feel like KWP is done at the club right now. He's only playing as a last resort and Sissoko is now being preferred at RB to him even when he's fit. Not sure why he's even still here at this point.

The chart is helpful in simplifying data for a lot of players which makes comparisons a lot easier.

However looking at the defensive numbers, there is no measure of tackles and interceptions missed. So whilst Auriers numbers look good, if the 3 or 4 goals he was culpable v Bayern were factored in he'd look a lot less solid. So rather than absolute numbers if tackles and interceptions made, perhaps that should be net of tackles and interceptions be should have made ( eg tackling rather than going into the Bayern half to get a Bayern player offside - not knowing that offside could not happen that way !)

No doubt there is other data which would be useful to evaluate players by.

Alternatively there needs to be a whole series of charts with different metrics to compare the players.

But I do think the chart as posted starts the conversation nicely as to which FBs are decent and which are not !

The chart is helpful in simplifying data for a lot of players which makes comparisons a lot easier.

However looking at the defensive numbers, there is no measure of tackles and interceptions missed. So whilst Auriers numbers look good, if the 3 or 4 goals he was culpable v Bayern were factored in he'd look a lot less solid. So rather than absolute numbers if tackles and interceptions made, perhaps that should be net of tackles and interceptions be should have made ( eg tackling rather than going into the Bayern half to get a Bayern player offside - not knowing that offside could not happen that way !)

No doubt there is other data which would be useful to evaluate players by.

Alternatively there needs to be a whole series of charts with different metrics to compare the players.

But I do think the chart as posted starts the conversation nicely as to which FBs are decent and which are not !

I like statistics as much as the other person, but the more and more I watch football the more and more I see statistics being inflated or deflated by how a team is playing. Form dictates percentages more or less.

There are those players that we know are great and have the stats to back it up. Then we have the players that may not be the best at their position, but are playing on a team that play a certain way that make their stats tell the story. Cesar is a great example. He isn’t an attacking FB. He is a traditional defensive minded FB, but his stats say something else and that is because of the way they play.

The eye test is the best test imo and KWP hasn’t been a disgrace to the shirt like a lot of people are making him out to be. Unfortunately we have a coach that seems to prefer brawn over brains.

Can't help but feel like KWP is done at the club right now. He's only playing as a last resort and Sissoko is now being preferred at RB to him even when he's fit. Not sure why he's even still here at this point.

Fucking pathetic. didn't he have a hat trick of assists in a game last year? How in high holy fuck can Poch keep that talent on the bench? These are the things that make me seriously question Pochettinos footballing judgment. I honestly don't know if he can spot a good footballer from a gym rat. I'm starting to think our scouting team shipped him every good signing before it fell apart. Now we have Aurier, a semi-pro wrestler who plays an RB on Spurs TV, and Sissoko, who couldn't hit the side of a barn from 20 ft with a machine gun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom