K League XI V The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur 12pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think that's an accurate assessment at all.... (Plus, actually more offensive to some that you may realise...)
I'm happy to agree to disagree. My perspective and frame of reference on this subject, as an "outsider", is likely to be different from yours anyway.
There are a few dickheads here that are Yank-o-phobes, but to suggest that it is inherent in the forum and/or born of a certain aged-group is dead wrong.
I don't think, and didn't say, that age has anything to do with it. a 30 year old who has loved the club as long as they can remember is definitely not old, but most certainly a "long-time supporter". I will admit I could have phrased that better. I didn't mean to paint a broad stroke when I said "this place", it's definitely a minority of posters IMO.
.....And being "plastic" has little to do with geography.
Agree, but IMO, many don't care to make that distinction. Just my perspective/opinion, certainly not something worth arguing over because we'll always have a different frame of reference.
On the flipside, match-going fans and 'lifers' do deserve a further level of respect as they have and will continue to be the lifeblood of the club..... That's something that any new or armchair fan (again irrespective of geography) needs to come to terms with.
I thought it was clear (but apparently not - my bad) that I wasn't talking about the life-blood of the club, but rather what is needed to continue to grow and compete as one of the top clubs globally. Seems like you're taking this personal, but if the shoe doesn't fit, put it back on the shelf. My post is simply my perspective, not meant as a personal attack on anyone.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. My perspective and frame of reference on this subject, as an "outsider", is likely to be different from yours anyway.

So most people here make you feel un-welcome?

.......Or is it like I suggest "just a few dickheads"?

(Seems from your comment below; we're not far off the same page afterall.)

I don't think, and didn't say, that age has anything to do with it. a 30 year old who has loved the club as long as they can remember is definitely not old, but most certainly a "long-time supporter".
I will admit I could have phrased that better. I didn't mean to paint a broad stroke when I said "this place", it's definitely a minority of posters IMO.

Touche.

I see the "dickheads" in question.... They don't represent the bulk of us; I assure you.

(I take your point about age; but when someone says long-term; I'm left thinking decades.... 60s, 70s, 80.... Perhaps that's my own age being a factor.)

Agree, but IMO, many don't care to make that distinction. Just my perspective/opinion, certainly not something worth arguing over because we'll always have a different frame of reference.

I'd suggest the distinction comes woven into the insult/accusation......

e.g. A certain "dickhead" here constantly plays the "you're American therefore you don't know shit" card to undermine their understanding of the game, but to accuse someone of being a "plastic" is to question the nature or lack-therof of their support.

I thought it was clear that I wasn't talking about the life-blood of the club, but rather what is needed to continue to grow and compete as one of the top clubs globally. Seems like you're taking this personal, but if the shoe doesn't fit, put it back on the shelf. My post is simply my perspective, not meant as a personal attack on anyone.

Not taking it personal beyond the now retracted "broad stroke" you made, fella.

(FWIW, the point I made about the core support wasn't even with myself in mind because regrettably I don't get to go as much as I'd like anymore..... I just have respect for those that do cos I know it's not necessarily an easy or affordable thing to do year after year.)

👍

So most people here make you feel un-welcome?

.......Or is it like I suggest "just a few dickheads"?

(Seems from your comment below; we're not far off the same page afterall.)
We aren't, i just think there's a wide gap between "a few" and "most".

It's less than most, but greater than a few. I think the difference may just lie in how I interpret posts. Which may very well just be a result of my perspective as a Yank. Where you may need to see overt insults, I may find "insult" (for lack of a better phrase) at subtle comments. Like you said, some might take offense to my original comment, where none was intended, so it very well could be a result of my perspective.
Touche.

I see the "dickheads" in question.... They don't represent the bulk of us; I assure you.
Agreed. If i was made to feel unwelcome, i wouldn't keep coming back.
(I take your point about age; but when someone says long-term; I'm left thinking decades.... 60s, 70s, 80.... Perhaps that's my own age being a factor.)
Totally fair, but definitely not my intent.
I'd suggest the distinction comes woven into the insult/accusation......

e.g. A certain "dickhead" here constantly plays the "you're American therefore you don't know shit" card to undermine their understanding of the game, but to accuse someone of being a "plastic" is to question the nature or lack-therof of their support.
Yup, it feels like... (and i'm using "feels" intentionally, because i'm only sharing my perspective, not claiming it as a fact)
Not taking it personal beyond the now retracted "broad stroke" you made, fella.
Cheers, that was my bad.
(FWIW, the point I made about the core support wasn't even with myself in mind because regrettably I don't get to go as much as I'd like anymore..... I just have respect for those that do cos I know it's not necessarily an easy or affordable thing to do year after year.)
Agreed.
:dierpochhug:

It obviously doesn't seem like much to us but given how borderline-OCD pro strikers are - and largely have to be - about scoring, it was cool of Kane to give up his penalty so that the fans would be guaranteed to see Son score.

Otherwise, across both matches, he's been looking sharp for a guy who'd only been back in training for a week. The first goal was fantastic on his left foot: absolutely classic Kane cross-goal ground shot. That was the kind of chance he just could not properly catch hold of for love nor money last season, even after his all-round game returned to par towards the end. Last season - well, really only the first half of a season - will go down as a massive anomaly in his career. The NL was a bit awful too, I suppose, but that was the entire England team. God knows what happened there.

Random observations:
Interesting that there were apparently a lot of signs, flags etc. for both Son and Kane around the stadium during both matches. Hard to verify that's definitely true and the extent but I certainly saw at least a couple of handmade signs reading "Son Kane Duo <3" or similar. I'm still skeptical of the average SK fan's support for the club outside of Son, but they seem to have at least recognised the key role Kane plays in facilitating Son's achievements. Plus most people just seem to like cheering for a winner, and Kane certainly fits the bill (if you're willing to ignore his lack of team success, it's like supporting Messi or CR7 on a smaller scale, since he's always winning individual accolades and breaking individual records, just like they did/do; of course, Messi fans drove Barca fans up the wall too).

Anyone notice Kane's expression when talking to Son while celebrating the penalty? I reckon he was saying something like, "it's a good job you scored it after that!" or "you owe me one for this!". Either way, Kane was clearly satisfied with it all.

That lad who gave up that absurd basketball penalty and then scored a phenomenal free kick is the true definition of mercurial (a word that most people misuse/misunderstand). What the hell was Son doing parting like the Red Sea in that wall though? Was the guy taking it his bestie or something?

As games go, this was about as meaningless as they come, but I kinda agree with whoever above said that conceding three goals to a K-League team isn't great (the fact that they're "All-Stars" doesn't make it any better: as a one-off exhibition team, they should've theoretically been horrible at playing together -- could you imagine the mess that would be a real modern PL All-Stars team with players from every club, especially going off to a friendly in the middle of the season?). Nor was the fact that it took Kane and Son coming on to ground and pound them. But we all already knew what a huge step down there is from Kane and Son to most of the other attackers -- hell, tbf, the rest of the team generally. That made it unsurprising that the offence looked impotent against Sevilla after those two were subbed; the overall performance against a woefully underprepared Sevilla was nothing to write home about anyway (I'm not optimistic about the CL, but the match did nothing to my opinion one way or the other). I'm not gonna weigh in on whether the K-League boys also should've have a penalty or two, since I don't remember the incidents well enough, but maybe. I seem to recall one incident that made me think, "if this match had VAR, that'd probably be a pen".

It was enjoyable to hear a stadium of.. hm, how to phrase it without sounding insulting or patronising? It was almost like seeing and hearing the game through the eyes of an innocent child, which we all lost a long time ago. The crowd were oohing and aahing over every minor display of skill. It was refreshing and endearing and even forced me to ruminate on how we interact with elite football here: taking it for granted, essentially. Although it did raise a question: how much of their reaction was just inexperience with football - i.e. celebrity hunters with no real interest in everyday football wanting to see Son play - and how much was a sincere mindfulness-like appreciation for the game? For anyone familiar with the K-League, how did it compare to a typical audience? As a neutral, I really vibe with that whole "appreciating the sport for its intrinsic aesthetics" philosophy they had going on that day -- if I didn't, watching Prem matches would make no sense for/to me.

Last edited:
We don’t have a creative midfielder position
That's because it's Kane. The poster wants another Kane in a different position to the real Kane. Confusing stuff. :)

But how many times have we all said over the years that we wish we could clone Kane and have Kane serving Kane?

I know this place and the long-time supporters here like to complain about tourists and plastics, but honestly, if the club wants to compete for CL titles, they need global $upport.
Yeah, that's certainly the way the wind is blowing. I wish it weren't so globalised, though, for many reasons. Some of which are simple pragmatic convenience: for one thing, I wouldn't have to scroll through hundreds of comments saying nothing more than "SON!!!" on the average Spurs YT video in order to find any serious discussion of the video's content (why is that spam still happening after six years fgs?; you'd think they'd have gotten bored with that cultish behaviour by now -- but I guess that's celebrity worship for you, which is its own horror show). And awards that utilise public votes wouldn't be ruined by the fact that certain players (like Son, Salah etc.) have entire nations backing them unanimously (I've seen plenty of Egyptians sharing code for botting votes for Salah for certain POTY awards, for example).

I would've loved to have lived through the era of football localism, which, not coincidentally, was a time when money and concomitant greed didn't totally dominate the sport. Frankly, I feel like a fraud for being a Spurs sympathiser who lives outside London, so I'm certainly not calling you an outsider or anything. I think the vast majority of us are. If football were still local clubs made up of local players playing for a local manager and owner and supported by local businesses, I'd be actively supporting one myself.

This has hardly ever been the case in professional football. You'd only find something like this in lower league amateur football.
Hard disagree (though obviously not gonna give your post a disagree because it's a polite discussion) . You only have to go back to maybe the 1950s to find even first division teams being dominated by local lads. That's always been my understanding from the football history books I've read. But maybe you do know better -- I'm not so arrogant as to think it's not possible. Have you got any good sources on this?

Hard disagree (though obviously not gonna give your post a disagree because it's a polite discussion) . You only have to go back to maybe the 1950s to find even first division teams being dominated by local lads. That's always been my understanding from the football history books I've read. But maybe you do know better -- I'm not so arrogant as to think it's not possible. Have you got any good sources on this?
I've had a look into this before replying. I used Wikipedia as my source. I used FA Cup final teams because Wikipedia lists all the finals, with lineups, and you can click on a player and get some history on him.

Firstly though, how do you define "local lads"? This a grey area, and can vary by region. For instance, would someone, playing for Spurs, but born in Barking (10 miles away) be called a local lad? Or,someone born in a village in Northumberland, 10 miles north of Newcastle be called a local lad if he played for Newcastle? Or is someone born in Wigan, playing for Bolton, 10 miles away, a local lad. I would say, No, Yes, No, to the above 3 scenarios. Getting back to London, would you say that Terry Naylor, born and bred 5 miles away in Islington; was a local Spurs player?

Anyway, I looked at 5 FA Cup finals between 1950 and 1954 (10 teams). The highest number of local players in any team was 5 for Bolton Wanderers in 1953, and 4 for Liverpool in 1950. No managers were local.
To sum up. 19 of 110 players I looked at were local (17%).

I've had a look into this before replying. I used Wikipedia as my source. I used FA Cup final teams because Wikipedia lists all the finals, with lineups, and you can click on a player and get some history on him.

Firstly though, how do you define "local lads"? This a grey area, and can vary by region. For instance, would someone, playing for Spurs, but born in Barking (10 miles away) be called a local lad? Or,someone born in a village in Northumberland, 10 miles north of Newcastle be called a local lad if he played for Newcastle? Or is someone born in Wigan, playing for Bolton, 10 miles away, a local lad. I would say, No, Yes, No, to the above 3 scenarios. Getting back to London, would you say that Terry Naylor, born and bred 5 miles away in Islington; was a local Spurs player?

Anyway, I looked at 5 FA Cup finals between 1950 and 1954 (10 teams). The highest number of local players in any team was 5 for Bolton Wanderers in 1953, and 4 for Liverpool in 1950. No managers were local.
To sum up. 19 of 110 players I looked at were local (17%).
Thank you for that. You put in the effort and went above and beyond. The result was genuinely interesting to read. Will absorb it, maybe consult the books sitting on my shelf, and let you know what I think. :)

Back
Top Bottom