Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Then you're a fool.
Dude the worlds changed . My pa would get up in the middle of the night to watch the FA final , the build up , everything.
Today nobody is bothered if it ain't your team. I haven't seen a final for 15 years . Outside a few it's sadly lost its relevance , at one point it seemed as important as the league.
Poor crowds , b teams shows 90% clubs and many fans don't give a shit anymore.
With corrupt bent Chavs/City dominating has taken the edge off it.
Don't get me wrong l would love to win it .

Then they have to be dropped from the squad and replaced regardless.

obviously you can’t do that forever but neither can you use their refusal to leave as an excuse forever.

Understand what you are saying....but.

If you've got half a dozen players each on say £50k pa (£2.5m pa) who you want to move on but they want either bigger wages at other clubs (and those other clubs cannot be found) or want to run down their contracts, then you can easily get to a £15m pa wages problem, and where players contracts have several years to run its a multi £10m problem. And you get no money in from sales either - and the £50m or so in from sales would he very helpful.

Point I'm making is its not insurmountable but its a much bigger problem to resolve than simply saying to an unwanted player 'go and sit in the corner' - and where the players have been squad members for a long time, that's not going to go down well with players in the squad you want to keep.

So you are back to easing out unwanted players 'gently' and with dignity in order to ensure the players you want to keep are fully behind the club - otherwise you may end up with an even bigger problem.

Spurs were on the floor. The record signing can’t get fit, the stalwart CB’s legs have gone, the playmaker pouted his way to Milan, the only 2 DMs are finished and they’ve lost *both* talismanic attackers. IMO, Jose’s showing all sorts of skill to keep Spurs in the mix.

Mourinho’s last full season he finished 2nd beat every team in the PL & made it to a cup final. Easily the BEST season post SAF. Before that he won 2 cups. He was sacked but won the PL & LC before that. So in 5 yrs, he won 6 trophies, finished 1st & 2nd. If that’s “finished” then what’s Poch’s status he’s had us for the past 5 years

I've just read this. I think it pretty bang on personally for any Jose haters out there:

Fuck me.

We've lost 3 games from our last 13.

Of those 13 games:

- Our best player and only striker has been injured for the last 11 of them
- Our second best player and second best goalscorer was suspended for the first 3, and injured for the last 1
- Son and Kane have played a total of zero minutes together
- Our captain and goalkeeper was injured for the first 7 of them
- Our (arguably) most consistent player from last season (Sissoko) has been injured for the last 10
- Our record signing has only started 3 times, being substituted at 25 mins and 61 mins in 2 of those games
- Our squad had the undoubtedly toxic presence of two players who openly wanted to leave for 9 of them

In spite of all of that, we've lost 3 games from our last 13. One of which, you could argue we really didn't deserve to lose.

If Pochettino had achieved that set of results in that set of circumstances, folk on here would be hailing him as a miracle worker. But because Jose's done it, he's apparently tactically inept and devoid of ideas.

Jose said in the Press conference if I heard it correct that we have not won a match since 2014 that neither Son or Kane played.

I wonder how many of those games we've played where neither have been on the pitch though. That would make it a more telling stat.

I mean if we've only played 2-3 games with neither then it ain't really that big an issue. Different is that number is closer to 20-30 etc.

Me personally? For him to leave Spurs. And even then I wouldn’t like him, I’d just be relieved.

The problem with Mourinho backers is it’s always “We won, we won, the results!” At the complete expense of any building process that sets you up for a cycle of dominance that you get with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola. Hoofing it up the field and purely relying on the individual quality of your attackers that you want the board to keep blindly spending on insta viable way to run things.

It’s entirely justified that people have got zero faith in him being an elite manager in 2020 - the quality of football was terrible BEFORE Son and Kane got injured.

He’s had his time, just like Capello, Lippi, Del Bosque, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Benitez, Wenger, Irureta beforehand. All great managers in their day, but the game moves on.

I had hoped that things might be different as he is working with a new backroom team but it looks like the same Trollop he served up at Man Utd. The fact that the fanbase is automatically so divided isn’t a good sign to begin with.

No longer the special one, just Portuguese Pulis.

You have to admit he's done an incredible job convincing people we couldn't possibly beat Leipzig with 2 of our best attacking players missing. Almost as good as Klopp convincing his players and everyone else they could come back from 3-0 down to beat Barcelona with 2 of their best attacking players missing.

Last edited:
i don’t like that he’s constantly making excuses and saying it’s so difficult for us to get top 4 etc just kinda let’s the players lose belief and faith...

Why does it always have to be a Poch-Jose comparison?

Jose has done fine results wise so far but he got it wrong on Wednesday. It’s ok to say so, it doesn’t mean you’re a fan or a hater. It just means you’re objective.

Long spells out for Lloris, Davies, Sissoko, Lamela, Kane and now Son, Ndombele stop/start, a new manager coming in, a team who based on a calendar years worth of form were bottom of the league, no away win for nearly a year and Mourinho gets us delivering a points total that is only bettered by Liverpool since he took over.

These aren't opinions Sammy my man, these are facts. If people want to ignore them, or the need to build the blocks required to play good football over time (points, confidence, key signings, a settled team etc) then honestly mate that's up to them.

According to the stats I saw last night we have just lost the most potent attack pairing the PL has seen based on games to goals ratios of strike partners to have played over 5000 minutes together. It's a hammer blow and frankly the lack of sympathy I read towards the team is something I find appalling. It's not a fan base, it's more like something you'd expect to see in the colosseum where they used to bay for blood. I shouldn't be shocked at the lack of positivity and how the club are finally showing some spine by hook or by crook but I really am. Sad really as we used to have an excellent fanbase. If only a few more would suck it up and get behind the team, accept it for what it is etc. We're in danger as a fanbase of starting to sound like Chelsea or dare I say it Woolwich fans with the bollocks I see spewed about where we are now and where we were 3 months ago, 6 months ago, a year ago etc. No guts some of them mate, where's the fight in them (Delia time is upon us it seems)
The irony of you asking the fans to have “guts“ when criticising others for wanting to play with guts on Wednesday isn’t lost on me.

The irony of you asking the fans to have “guts“ when criticising others for wanting to play with guts on Wednesday isn’t lost on me.

The issue with your comment is I actually thought we played pretty gutsy on Wednesday seeing as we have no striker. We had a game plan, that's what we set out to do and that was the smart thing to do. We didn't lost because of the game plan, we lost to a reckless tackle from Davies and had 3-4 very good chances to score against a disciplined Leipzig team.

I ain't got time for fanny fans that moan and sulk, those that have no empathy for us losing 67% of our goals this season. It's a backs against the wall situation, as fans all we can do is give them that little bit more.

Question..... If we had shown guts on Wednesday as you said we should have and didnt but left ourselves exposed and lost similar to the Bayern score (Leipzig are only 1 point behind them after all), would you say well done at least you showed guts? The team require tactics, the fans don't they should be the driving factor from the stands mate

Back
Top Bottom