Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sheesh, we’ve got some really entitled ones in our “fanbase” now. Winning the Europa League means nothing because it‘s a competition for failures? I don’t know myself if Jose will succeed with us and am not taking anything for granted, regardless of his past history and successes, but it’s almost as if some want him to fail at Spurs just to make a point.

Last edited:
2 2nd tier trophues. The Carabao cup and the Europa League? You're a failure if you're even in the latter competition. And only Man City give a shit about the Carabao.

Modern football is all about the PL and the CL. Nobody cares about anything else. Those are what a manager is judged by.
I don't think ONLY Man City give a shit about it. I think they're so good it's easy for them to win it even with a 'weak' side. Sometimes harder for them to lose than win! Do you think Everton, Spammers, Saints, Us etc don't care about it? We just CAN'T win it. Everyone tries apart from Liverpool.

You need to read my original post. I am saying that Not only that I support Jose but think he is overplaying the bare bones statements regarding the squad and that I want him to send them out confident not thinking they have no chance as we have no strikers.

Or maybe he's managing them and their expectations so they play knowing that they have done extremely well since he took over and anything that occurs from here until the end of the season really isn't their fault.

I trust Mourinho knows what he's doing to ensure moral doesn't get ruined again like we saw it get for the year previous.

Are you really a Spurs fan?

Would you rather see us lose a CL semi at WHL than be at Wembley when we lift the FA Cup??

Surely that is a no brainer to most? I couldn't give a fuck about how many people worldwide watch the FA Cup Final, I would watch it and as a Spurs fan I would be fucking delighted to win a trophy!!

There is NO glory in a CL semi final.

How's their glory in winning a cup where the best team in it play their youth side against their local rivals? And where half the teams in it actively try and get themselves knocked out as soon as possible, and where stadiums are rarely sold out, even with reduced prices?

Every game in the CL has a magic to it, the kind of magic the cup once had.

How's their glory in winning a cup where the best team in it play their youth side against their local rivals? And where half the teams in it actively try and get themselves knocked out as soon as possible, and where stadiums are rarely sold out, even with reduced prices?

Every game in the CL has a magic to it, the kind of magic the cup once had.
The magic is winning, not getting to a semi final.

The magic is winning, not getting to a semi final.

You have your opinion. I have mine. Domestic cups should be use to give youth players game time, and only taken seriously at the later stages. If you offered me right now the option to beat Leipzig and be in the draw the quarter finals of getting to the FA Cup final, I'd take the former, no question.

I don't get how anyone can view the FA cup trophy as a meaningless thing. For one we haven't had one in what 30 years?
Secondly look at how much good that CL final did us last year, yes we got a bunch of money and exposure from it, but it also killed the entire team.
Confidence was just gone in all of the players. CL won't be a sole factor in it, but I'd wager it was a major one.
I may still not be convinced that we're going to be winning games that we should, but we've come a long way since the start of the season.

You have your opinion. I have mine. Domestic cups should be use to give youth players game time, and only taken seriously at the later stages. If you offered me right now the option to beat Leipzig and be in the draw the quarter finals of getting to the FA Cup final, I'd take the former, no question.
Let me put this to you. (Let's put PL to one side for a moment)

We get knocked out of the CL early doors.

Chelsea and Woolwich get beaten in CL semi finals by Madrid and Barca however, we win the FA Cup.

Who has had the better season?

Let me put this to you. (Let's put PL to one side for a moment)

We get knocked out of the CL early doors.

Chelsea and Woolwich get beaten in CL semi finals by Madrid and Barca however, we win the FA Cup.

Who has had the better season?

Them.

I went to the 87 and 91 Cup Finals. They were massive events and actually all the rounds up to the finals were events in themselves, including the epic semi against Woolwich. It's just not the same competition anymore though. It's just a shadow of what it once was. Anyone who thinks they still have the same value is just kidding themselves.

Them.

I went to the 87 and 91 Cup Finals. They were massive events and actually all the rounds up to the finals were events in themselves, including the epic semi against Woolwich. It's just not the same competition anymore though. It's just a shadow of what it once was. Anyone who thinks they still have the same value is just kidding themselves.
Then you're a fool.

I am still firmly in the camp that this squad is capable of competing for top four. We see glimpses of the quality we have in our squad, but we have yet to put a complete performance in. The closest for me this season was the 4-0 against CP where we were on full tilt from the first whistle until half-time.

I will be patient with Jose as he is doing a job at getting us back into the conversation, which I don’t think would have been possible under Poch; too much contempt was present.

That being said, I refuse to believe the ”he doesn’t have the players he needs” to play the way he wants to play. I am naive to Jose’s style of play. I never watched his Chelsea, Real, Inter, or Man U, or Porto sides in depth, but I think we are seeing how Jose wants to play and he, like Poch, has shown he sticks to his guns.

All I have read about him is that he keeps a tight ship in the back and prefers a managed game where he springs late after soaking up pressure. We have seen this week in and week out and to good effect, which has been nice to see. The points are needed and I am happy we are winning.

Yet, I still want more and I really have a feeling we will continue to see the shell style game even when he gets the “pieces he so desires”. I just think that is how he wants to play since it has won him so many titles. Force them to score and catch them out of position.

The same way his exits from Utd and Chelsea played out. It's already got that Mourinho 3rd year feeling about it.
Third year feeling?
The club laid out a potential 80M in January after after he’d been here one month, and bent over backwards to sell Eriksen at his request.

Stop airing your nonsense opinions and passing them off as fact

JJ is a wasteman that took his talent and flushed it down the toilet because he didn't have the nuts for it. Literally couldn't give a flying fuck about this so called pundits analysis.
They are all sooooo bitter that their “no one could improve Spurs more than Poch will” bullshit that they are clinging on for dear life.

A bit like some on this forum.

Win “lucky”
Win “no real game plan”
Win “rode their luck”
Win “should have lost IF....”
Lose “told you so”

No one talking about injuries? It’s all I heard last season, oh and fatigue. What happened to fatigue? Doesn’t exist in 2020, maybe Coronavirus wiped it out..

I’m fairly sure there will be something amazingly wrong with the way we beat Chelsea at the weekend.
If we draw we will have blown the golden chance.
Lose and it will be the exact same talk as if we win.....you know because Spurs NEVER deserve to win.

As Socrates once said :
“If Spurs didnt score the winner, they’d have drawn”

They are all sooooo bitter that their “no one could improve Spurs more than Poch will” bullshit that they are clinging on for dear life.

A bit like some on this forum.

Win “lucky”
Win “no real game plan”
Win “rode their luck”
Win “should have lost IF....”
Lose “told you so”

No one talking about injuries? It’s all I heard last season, oh and fatigue. What happened to fatigue? Doesn’t exist in 2020, maybe Coronavirus wiped it out..

I’m fairly sure there will be something amazingly wrong with the way we beat Chelsea at the weekend.
If we draw we will have blown the golden chance.
Lose and it will be the exact same talk as if we win.....you know because Spurs NEVER deserve to win.

As Socrates once said :
“If Spurs didnt score the winner, they’d have drawn”

Long spells out for Lloris, Davies, Sissoko, Lamela, Kane and now Son, Ndombele stop/start, a new manager coming in, a team who based on a calendar years worth of form were bottom of the league, no away win for nearly a year and Mourinho gets us delivering a points total that is only bettered by Liverpool since he took over.

These aren't opinions Sammy my man, these are facts. If people want to ignore them, or the need to build the blocks required to play good football over time (points, confidence, key signings, a settled team etc) then honestly mate that's up to them.

According to the stats I saw last night we have just lost the most potent attack pairing the PL has seen based on games to goals ratios of strike partners to have played over 5000 minutes together. It's a hammer blow and frankly the lack of sympathy I read towards the team is something I find appalling. It's not a fan base, it's more like something you'd expect to see in the colosseum where they used to bay for blood. I shouldn't be shocked at the lack of positivity and how the club are finally showing some spine by hook or by crook but I really am. Sad really as we used to have an excellent fanbase. If only a few more would suck it up and get behind the team, accept it for what it is etc. We're in danger as a fanbase of starting to sound like Chelsea or dare I say it Woolwich fans with the bollocks I see spewed about where we are now and where we were 3 months ago, 6 months ago, a year ago etc. No guts some of them mate, where's the fight in them (Delia time is upon us it seems)

Last edited:
Sorry mate but that's rubbish

We spent over £100m (net of sales) in the summer and topped that up with over another £30m in January which together with sale of Eriksen for the 2 windows looks like (gross of sales) :

1. Ndombele - £55m (CM)
2 Lo Celso - £41m (AM/CM)
3. Bergwijn - £27m (AM)
4. Clarke - £10m (AM)
5. Sessegnon - £25m (LB/LW)
6. Gedson - £ 4m (DM)
7. Tanganga - Free (CB/RB/LB) Academy product
Total £162m

I also think we will spend similarly in summer 2020, bringing in 4 - 6 players of similar calibre and price.

The problem now is getting players out - we saw last summer Wanyama turning down a deal at Club Bruges where he was going to be paid £65k pw. And he has another year left on his contract. Rose might be a problem - was threatening to run down his contract that has another 18 months to go.

We have 18 overseas trained players in the squad right now - one more than the maximum of 17 allowed for CL squad.

So to get 4-6 in next summer.....means players must leave, particularly overseas trained players. I'd suggest Wanyama, Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier and maybe Dier would be on many fans lists if asked - but as I say if the players want to stay (and not that many clubs pay better) and London is a great city to live in etc, then the players may decline to move.

Then they have to be dropped from the squad and replaced regardless.

obviously you can’t do that forever but neither can you use their refusal to leave as an excuse forever.

Imagine hating a spurs manager that much you went ahead and made that post. :D

Serious question: what would it take for you to like Jose?
Me personally? For him to leave Spurs. And even then I wouldn’t like him, I’d just be relieved.

The problem with Mourinho backers is it’s always “We won, we won, the results!” At the complete expense of any building process that sets you up for a cycle of dominance that you get with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola. Hoofing it up the field and purely relying on the individual quality of your attackers that you want the board to keep blindly spending on insta viable way to run things.

It’s entirely justified that people have got zero faith in him being an elite manager in 2020 - the quality of football was terrible BEFORE Son and Kane got injured.

He’s had his time, just like Capello, Lippi, Del Bosque, Van Gaal, Ancelotti, Benitez, Wenger, Irureta beforehand. All great managers in their day, but the game moves on.

I had hoped that things might be different as he is working with a new backroom team but it looks like the same Trollop he served up at Man Utd. The fact that the fanbase is automatically so divided isn’t a good sign to begin with.

No longer the special one, just Portuguese Pulis.

Back
Top Bottom