January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we a really missing a central midfielder that is strong on the ball but has finese and creativity. Ndombele is a great signing.

Buy we really need to upgrade Winks. Hes not or never will be an elite midfielder. Its a very important position amd musy be a priority in next window.

I dounno if lo celso can play that far back? Im thinking he is more of Eriksens replacement.

We don't need anything looked at except our back 4. It's what is letting us down.

Toby And Jan for me have checked out. Danny Rose the same and Aurier is a liability.

Sanchez should be our new heart in defence and we get another good centre back in. Real quality centre back ready to partnership Sanchez.
Sessegnon and Davies our 2 left backs? Will have to wait till he's fit again to be sure.

We clearly need a new right back. Aurier is not good enough, waker Peters not ready. Get a good right back who is maybe a bit older that can do the job for a few seasons until KWP is either ready or not.

Our defence is what's killing us.

We also need an on field captain. Hugo is just not the type to get the team going but only man I see doing this is Harry Winks

I think we a really missing a central midfielder that is strong on the ball but has finese and creativity. Ndombele is a great signing.

Buy we really need to upgrade Winks. Hes not or never will be an elite midfielder. Its a very important position amd musy be a priority in next window.

I dounno if lo celso can play that far back? Im thinking he is more of Eriksens replacement.
I'd say that we are more in need of a ball winning defensive midfielder (who's also good/decent with the ball) than a ball holding central midfielder. Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko all fill that role. But we are lacking that destructive force that breaks up oppossition plays and protects the backline. Like Idrissa Guye, Allan or Kante.

How about we get a creative midfielder from abroad and a young HG LB/AM. Maybe a young prospect who can play on the right who we can sign and send on loan?

I really hope if we lose an AM (Son, Dele, Lucas) that we buy Hakim Ziyech from Ajax. I'm surprised we didn't get him this summer considering he would have probably been cheaper than Celso and ripped us apart in the CL.

21 goals and 24 assists in 49 games last year.
5 goals and 7 assists in 14 games this year.

I know buying dutch players can be hit (Eriksen, Toby, Jan) or miss (Janssen) and that goals in the dutch league aren't exactly hard to score, but it is still a great place for buying.

I'd say that we are more in need of a ball winning defensive midfielder (who's also good/decent with the ball) than a ball holding central midfielder. Ndombele, Winks and Sissoko all fill that role. But we are lacking that destructive force that breaks up oppossition plays and protects the backline. Like Idrissa Guye, Allan or Kante.

Watch us against Bayern really made me miss Sandro. For 1-2 years that guy was absolutely unplayable until his body gave up on him.

Fucking hell there's a fair few players who'll either be on a free or entering the last year of their contracts in the summer:

Contract expiring 2020:

Contract expiring 2021

Timothy Fosu-Mensah on a free in the summer, Sandro Tonali, Sander Berge or Boubakary Soumare on a cut price deal with one year left, the same applies to Upamecano and Ginter who I know we've been linked with in the past.

A lot of names to keep an eye on regarding contractual situs it seems.

Fucking hell there's a fair few players who'll either be on a free or entering the last year of their contracts in the summer:

Contract expiring 2020:

Contract expiring 2021

Timothy Fosu-Mensah on a free in the summer, Sandro Tonali, Sander Berge or Boubakary Soumare on a cut price deal with one year left, the same applies to Upamecano and Ginter who I know we've been linked with in the past.

A lot of names to keep an eye on regarding contractual situs it seems.

OK, bored shitless and can't sleep so fuck it I'm going to make a starting XI of all players I think are realistic that we could sign whose contracts are expiring in 2020 and those who'll only have a year left next summer as well:

Contracts expiring 2020:

GK - Alexander Nubel
RB - Thomas Meunier
CB - Timothy Fosu-Mensah
CB - Eric Bailly
LB -Layvin Kurzawa
DM - Boubakary Soumare
DM - Nemanja Matic
CM - Ever Banega
AM - Mario Gotze
AM - Ryan Fraser
FWD - Edinson Cavani/ Dries Mertens

Contracts expiring 2021, knockdown fee time next summer:

GK - Gianluigi Donnarumma/ Jack Butland
RB - Lukas Klostermann/ Elseid Hysej
CB - Dayot Upamecano/ Malang Sarr
CB - Mathias Ginter / Benoit Badiashile
LB - Alex Telles/ Juan Bernat/ Alejandro Grimaldo
DM - Sander Berge / Sandro Tonali/ Julian Weigl/ Ibrahim Sangare
CM - Piotr Zielinski
CM - Julian Draxler
AM - Dani Olmo
AM - Carlos Soler/ Ferran Torres/ Florian Thauvin/ Memphis Depay
FWD - Arkadiuz Milik/ Kevin Volland/ Chris Wood/ Moussa Marega

Some well within our reach, some not. Some iffy characters but some absolutely add quality to our squad. I'm particularly interested to see if we make moves for any of the young CBs, especially Ginter, Badiashile and Upamecano. I definitely think we need to be all over Fosu-Mensah if he doesn't sign his new deal at Man U as well.

Any names from both groups catch anyone's eye? I've only added the ones I know of (I don't know either GK from the 2020 expiring group though, just the 2021 ones). If there's any others or ones you know a fair bit about from either group let us know and I'll keep my eye on them (obviously I haven't stuck Sczechzny in there because he's a massive cunt!)

OK, bored shitless and can't sleep so fuck it I'm going to make a starting XI of all players I think are realistic that we could sign whose contracts are expiring in 2020 and those who'll only have a year left next summer as well:

Contracts expiring 2020:

GK - Alexander Nubel
RB - Thomas Meunier
CB - Timothy Fosu-Mensah
CB - Eric Bailly
LB -Layvin Kurzawa
DM - Boubakary Soumare
DM - Nemanja Matic
CM - Ever Banega
AM - Mario Gotze
AM - Ryan Fraser
FWD - Edinson Cavani/ Dries Mertens

Contracts expiring 2021, knockdown fee time next summer:

GK - Gianluigi Donnarumma/ Jack Butland
RB - Lukas Klostermann/ Elseid Hysej
CB - Dayot Upamecano/ Malang Sarr
CB - Mathias Ginter / Benoit Badiashile
LB - Alex Telles/ Juan Bernat/ Alejandro Grimaldo
DM - Sander Berge / Sandro Tonali/ Julian Weigl/ Ibrahim Sangare
CM - Piotr Zielinski
CM - Julian Draxler
AM - Dani Olmo
AM - Carlos Soler/ Ferran Torres/ Florian Thauvin/ Memphis Depay
FWD - Arkadiuz Milik/ Kevin Volland/ Chris Wood/ Moussa Marega

Some well within our reach, some not. Some iffy characters but some absolutely add quality to our squad. I'm particularly interested to see if we make moves for any of the young CBs, especially Ginter, Badiashile and Upamecano. I definitely think we need to be all over Fosu-Mensah if he doesn't sign his new deal at Man U as well.

Any names from both groups catch anyone's eye? I've only added the ones I know of (I don't know either GK from the 2020 expiring group though, just the 2021 ones). If there's any others or ones you know a fair bit about from either group let us know and I'll keep my eye on them (obviously I haven't stuck Sczechzny in there because he's a massive cunt!)
Holy shit! Nice work mate, fair play! Lol

For me I like Upamaceano - a lot! He’s a proper talent for the future. I am hearing that Berge is also well worth a punt, although I have to admit that I’ve not seen much of him. Draxler is proven..to a certain extent, though he doesn’t entirely convince me all the time, but think he’s still a super player, especially if we can find his proper position. The other one that stands out..don’t laugh is Meunier 😜 I like him, he’s un spectacular but effective and more importantly solid, and with the way our RBs are going I think we could do a lot worse.

We don't need anything looked at except our back 4. It's what is letting us down.

Toby And Jan for me have checked out. Danny Rose the same and Aurier is a liability.

Sanchez should be our new heart in defence and we get another good centre back in. Real quality centre back ready to partnership Sanchez.
Sessegnon and Davies our 2 left backs? Will have to wait till he's fit again to be sure.

We clearly need a new right back. Aurier is not good enough, waker Peters not ready. Get a good right back who is maybe a bit older that can do the job for a few seasons until KWP is either ready or not.

Our defence is what's killing us.

We also need an on field captain. Hugo is just not the type to get the team going but only man I see doing this is Harry Winks

I’d agree the attacking/midfield in theory is fine

Kane
Son
Lucas
Lamela
Eriksen (he can piss off though)
Lo Celso
Ndombele
Dele
Winks
Parrott

The defence is suspect

Verts - getting on a bit
Dier - not good enough
Wanyama - legs gone
Skipp - still bit too young
Rose - getting on
Davies - average
Sessegnon - top talent but yet to be integrated after injury
Toby - not as good as he was
Sanchez - gone backwards
Foyth - talented but reckless and injured
Aurier - nuts
KWP - too weak

We need most of all a top dynamic DM, then a RB and another CB.

Now he would cost a bit but I'd love to see him in a Spurs shirt.

McGuire: 85m
Zaha: 80m

Ergo Maddison = same or more.... Even then, if you're Leicester, why would you sell so soon?

From our point of view, would be baffling considering we were linked both when he was at Coventry & Norwich. Now he's #proven would people be willing to forgive the anti-Spurs tweets from his youth?

As for the player's point of view; unless we're in good shape as a team I'd suspect Utd would lure him with uber-wages.

I’d agree the attacking/midfield in theory is fine

Kane
Son
Lucas
Lamela
Eriksen (he can piss off though)
Lo Celso
Ndombele
Dele
Winks
Parrott

The defence is suspect

Verts - getting on a bit
Dier - not good enough
Wanyama - legs gone
Skipp - still bit too young
Rose - getting on
Davies - average
Sessegnon - top talent but yet to be integrated after injury
Toby - not as good as he was
Sanchez - gone backwards
Foyth - talented but reckless and injured
Aurier - nuts
KWP - too weak

We need most of all a top dynamic DM, then a RB and another CB.

I'm with you on the defense. I don't think we can trust any CB pairing currently in the squad.

Actually liked that Poch went to back 3 at halftime. Without a strong CB pairing and a CDM that can actually provide cover the 3CB is the way to go from here on out.

I think severely missing pace... like everywhere. We have too many attacking players that prefer to be on the ball instead of making runs off it. Eriksen is gone. I don't think we try to replace him with another CAM - we need someone who will open up D with their speed.

My shopping list would be 1x RB, 1x CB, 1x CDM, 1x fast attacking player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom