January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, bored shitless and can't sleep so fuck it I'm going to make a starting XI of all players I think are realistic that we could sign whose contracts are expiring in 2020 and those who'll only have a year left next summer as well:

Contracts expiring 2020:

GK - Alexander Nubel
RB - Thomas Meunier
CB - Timothy Fosu-Mensah
CB - Eric Bailly
LB -Layvin Kurzawa
DM - Boubakary Soumare
DM - Nemanja Matic
CM - Ever Banega
AM - Mario Gotze
AM - Ryan Fraser
FWD - Edinson Cavani/ Dries Mertens

Contracts expiring 2021, knockdown fee time next summer:

GK - Gianluigi Donnarumma/ Jack Butland
RB - Lukas Klostermann/ Elseid Hysej
CB - Dayot Upamecano/ Malang Sarr
CB - Mathias Ginter / Benoit Badiashile
LB - Alex Telles/ Juan Bernat/ Alejandro Grimaldo
DM - Sander Berge / Sandro Tonali/ Julian Weigl/ Ibrahim Sangare
CM - Piotr Zielinski
CM - Julian Draxler
AM - Dani Olmo
AM - Carlos Soler/ Ferran Torres/ Florian Thauvin/ Memphis Depay
FWD - Arkadiuz Milik/ Kevin Volland/ Chris Wood/ Moussa Marega

Some well within our reach, some not. Some iffy characters but some absolutely add quality to our squad. I'm particularly interested to see if we make moves for any of the young CBs, especially Ginter, Badiashile and Upamecano. I definitely think we need to be all over Fosu-Mensah if he doesn't sign his new deal at Man U as well.

Any names from both groups catch anyone's eye? I've only added the ones I know of (I don't know either GK from the 2020 expiring group though, just the 2021 ones). If there's any others or ones you know a fair bit about from either group let us know and I'll keep my eye on them (obviously I haven't stuck Sczechzny in there because he's a massive cunt!)
Is this not part of the problem getting cheap second rate players that nobody else rates and Levy gets in there thinking he’s got a bargain but not content with that he then try’s to screw their club/agent down further they ain’t having it and he missing out on them as well :mad:

Is this not part of the problem getting cheap second rate players that nobody else rates and Levy gets in there thinking he’s got a bargain but not content with that he then try’s to screw their club/agent down further they ain’t having it and he missing out on them as well :mad:

Who says that they're second rate? Just because they've run their contracts down doesn't make them any less of a player. I see a fair few names that I'd be more than interested in, pretty much in every position in all honesty.

Levy does play a risky game tryin to squeeze the pennies out of things but it has also had its positive moments in the last as well. The rough and the smooth etc but there's no point having a healthy financial look if the performances on the pitch don't align to it.

I do think we've missed out on far too many deals that were very gettable though. If that's down to Poch or Levy I ain't sure mate.

Who says that they're second rate? Just because they've run their contracts down doesn't make them any less of a player. I see a fair few names that I'd be more than interested in, pretty much in every position in all honesty.

Levy does play a risky game tryin to squeeze the pennies out of things but it has also had its positive moments in the last as well. The rough and the smooth etc but there's no point having a healthy financial look if the performances on the pitch don't align to it.

I do think we've missed out on far too many deals that were very gettable though. If that's down to Poch or Levy I ain't sure mate.
I’m not saying they’re all second rate I’m meaning that the players we tend to go for other teams don’t rate! Who was the last player we were in for and we outbid and won their signature ahead of a so called “big/better club?

I’m not saying they’re all second rate I’m meaning that the players we tend to go for other teams don’t rate! Who was the last player we were in for and we outbid and won their signature ahead of a so called “big/better club?

Ndombele, Sanchez, and Foyth. Most reports said Sess and Lo Celso only wanted to come here

We need to spend big. I think one of those issues we have is the starters know there isn’t anyone on the bench who really threatens their position.

I would argue player development is really lacking. There are too many players that haven't been able to maintain their best form.

Dele, Dier, Lamela, Sanchez, all come to mind.

Ndombele, Sanchez, and Foyth. Most reports said Sess and Lo Celso only wanted to come here
Who were we competing against? Sessegnon wanting to stay in London ! Lo Celso? Sanchez on here gets dogs according to the majority he’s a liability what did other clubs know we didn’t? I just mean Levy tries to do a deal and yes it’s for the benefit of the club financially and that’s good and dandy but playing wise it puts us at a disadvantage! Whether it’s levys fault or Pochettino I’d say both Levy for doin it and Poch for letting him!

We don't need to spend big, we just neem competent people around, we are scouting Maddison for tem years and we just realize he is good when he is valued at 100 millions, and that is just one example of this kind of shit. The same will happen with Odegaard, Dani Olmo. We have shit scouts, everyone of them should just fuck off with Pochettino.

We don't need to spend big, we just neem competent people around, we are scouting Maddison for tem years and we just realize he is good when he is valued at 100 millions, and that is just one example of this kind of shit. The same will happen with Odegaard, Dani Olmo. We have shit scouts, everyone of them should just fuck off with Pochettino.
Maddison was sound out while at Norwich he was loaned out up to Scotland I think? And stood out yet we sat back! Dare I say it Mr Vince sounded out McGinn yes I know why would you take his word but never the less he’d add something to our midfield. Mahzrez could have been an asset yet he’s wasted as a squad player at city....... but a rich one.

OK, bored shitless and can't sleep so fuck it I'm going to make a starting XI of all players I think are realistic that we could sign whose contracts are expiring in 2020 and those who'll only have a year left next summer as well:

Contracts expiring 2020:

GK - Alexander Nubel
RB - Thomas Meunier
CB - Timothy Fosu-Mensah
CB - Eric Bailly
LB -Layvin Kurzawa
DM - Boubakary Soumare
DM - Nemanja Matic
CM - Ever Banega
AM - Mario Gotze
AM - Ryan Fraser
FWD - Edinson Cavani/ Dries Mertens

Contracts expiring 2021, knockdown fee time next summer:

GK - Gianluigi Donnarumma/ Jack Butland
RB - Lukas Klostermann/ Elseid Hysej
CB - Dayot Upamecano/ Malang Sarr
CB - Mathias Ginter / Benoit Badiashile
LB - Alex Telles/ Juan Bernat/ Alejandro Grimaldo
DM - Sander Berge / Sandro Tonali/ Julian Weigl/ Ibrahim Sangare
CM - Piotr Zielinski
CM - Julian Draxler
AM - Dani Olmo
AM - Carlos Soler/ Ferran Torres/ Florian Thauvin/ Memphis Depay
FWD - Arkadiuz Milik/ Kevin Volland/ Chris Wood/ Moussa Marega

Some well within our reach, some not. Some iffy characters but some absolutely add quality to our squad. I'm particularly interested to see if we make moves for any of the young CBs, especially Ginter, Badiashile and Upamecano. I definitely think we need to be all over Fosu-Mensah if he doesn't sign his new deal at Man U as well.

Any names from both groups catch anyone's eye? I've only added the ones I know of (I don't know either GK from the 2020 expiring group though, just the 2021 ones). If there's any others or ones you know a fair bit about from either group let us know and I'll keep my eye on them (obviously I haven't stuck Sczechzny in there because he's a massive cunt!)
The ones I’ve highlighted in your post would all be excellent additions

edit:
Donnarumma
Meunier Ginter Upamecano Telles
Berge Weigl
Draxler Thauvin Olmo
Depay

Last edited:
Who were we competing against? Sessegnon wanting to stay in London ! Lo Celso? Sanchez on here gets dogs according to the majority he’s a liability what did other clubs know we didn’t? I just mean Levy tries to do a deal and yes it’s for the benefit of the club financially and that’s good and dandy but playing wise it puts us at a disadvantage! Whether it’s levys fault or Pochettino I’d say both Levy for doin it and Poch for letting him!

If we only target players that richer, more successful teams are known to be interested in 9.99/10 times we won't get them. You have to trust your own scouting otherwise you're left chasing shadows....

Re: Sanchez... I remember many back-flips when we signed "the guy that Barca wanted".

On the flipside, we were linked with Maddison at both his previous clubs.... Must have been something about him we didn't like and thus he ended up at a smaller club (Leicester).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom