January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
How it stands we probably need two new CBs. I wonder if a double raid on RB Leipzig for this kid and Upamecano would be wise, especially as both will know each others game fairly well.

£££ though
Orban is the one we need from Leipzig. He leads that backline and he has reached the age when they usually tend to sell (27).

I'm still hoping Dier can be convinced to want to play CB and form an awesome partnership with Dav. If not, we should keep Toby since has another 3-4 good years left in him. I love Jan but he is no longer a long term solution.

Barring any of that, we are truly in a shit situation after this season and will need to spend significant money getting a top quality CB to pair with Dav.

I'm still hoping Dier can be convinced to want to play CB and form an awesome partnership with Dav. If not, we should keep Toby since has another 3-4 good years left in him. I love Jan but he is no longer a long term solution.

Barring any of that, we are truly in a shit situation after this season and will need to spend significant money getting a top quality CB to pair with Dav.

The way I see our needs; there's no reason why a CB can't be our 'marquee'/big-spend signing this summer.... This summer's Ndombele if you will.

The way I see our needs; there's no reason why a CB can't be our 'marquee'/big-spend signing this summer.... This summer's Ndombele if you will.
We have so much else we need aswell though mate. A marquee signing level RB, and a Marquee signing level DM aswell.

Potentially a LB aswelL of Poch decides sess is a winger and not a defender.

I wonder if we will spend the money required, the CB needed alone will cost 50 mill*:levystare:

We have so much else we need aswell though mate. A marquee signing level RB, and a Marquee signing level DM aswell.

Potentially a LB aswelL of Poch decides sess is a winger and not a defender.

LOL.... So many marquees....

I think you're getting carried away with the term there mate.

My point is that right now there's nothing more important that ensuring our CB ranks continue to be top class.... And I include RB in that comment.

When you look at the potential outs over the next 12 months:

2CBs (Toby/Vert)
1AM (CE)
1DM (Wanyama)
1LB (Rose)
1RB (Aurier)

+ ST2 required (open to debate)

LB? Sess/Davies until proven otherwise.

Over 2 windows, that's entirely do-able.

Incidentally: Telegraph reporting we're in talks with Vert to stay.

Last edited:
Lloris
Gazzaniga
Whiteman
New RB
Walker-Peters
New CB
Vertoghen/ New CB

Sanchez
Foyth
Sessegnon
Davies
Winks
Dier
Skipp
Sissoko
Ndombele
New AM
Dele
Son
Lo Celso
Lucas
Lamela
Kane
New FWD

4-6 players required over the next 12 months with the likes of Aurier, Alderweireld, Wanyama, Eriksen and possibly Vertonghen gone. My punts at present are Atal, Upamecano, Aouar, Dybala.

LOL.... So many marquees....

I think you're getting carried away with the term there mate.

My point is that right now there's nothing more important that ensuring our CB ranks continue to be top class right.... And I include RB in that comment.

When you look at the potential outs over the next 12 months:

2CBs (Toby/Vert)
1AM (CE)
1DM (Wanyama)
1LB (Rose)
1RB (Aurier)

+ ST2 required (open to debate)

LB? Sess/Davies until proven otherwise.

Over 2 windows, that's entirely do-able.

Incidentally: Telegraph reporting we're in talks with Vert to stay.
Lol so many marquees we could start our own festival :pocheyes:

I politely disagree and think A top class DM will have more impact on our defensive solidity than a new CB.

So I think DM is the main one for me personally. Especially if the telegraph are right about Jan.

Who dat?

.....Pronouned "Ay-or-ar"?

Here's a link to him pal, I like the look of him and with him being a Lyon boy, I'm sure we'll be keeping tabs:

Carles Alena is another one who really impressed me when I had a weekend in Barca January time. Only played one game for them this season it seems and his contract enters its final two years this season :gallashmm:

Last edited:
Lol so many marquees we could start our own festival :pocheyes:

I politely disagree and think A top class DM will have more impact on our defensive solidity than a new CB.

So I think DM is the main one for me personally.

I can see why, but surely you're basing that on NOW though; not a scenario where we lose both TA & JV?

Especially if the telegraph are right about Jan.

Well, we'll see on that front...

Jan's gonna drop off sooner rather than later; according to the long game, maybe retaining TA would be the more beneficial of the two?

How would you feel about this next year:

Toby / Dav / Dier
[RB] / Winks / Ndombele / Sessengon

Here's a link to him pal, I like the look of him and with him being a Lyon boy, I'm sure we'll be keeping tabs:

Carles Alena is another one who really impressed me when I had a weekend in Barca January time. Only played one game for them this season it seems and his contract enters its final two years this season :gallashmm:

Tasty bits.... I like the fact that it looks like he enjoys riding challenges and doesn't pussy away from contact.

I can see why, but surely you're basing that on NOW though; not a scenario where we lose both TA & JV?

Well, we'll see on that front...

Jan's gonna drop off sooner rather than later; according to the long game, maybe retaining TA would be the more beneficial of the two?

How would you feel about this next year:

Toby / Dav / Dier
[RB] / Winks / Ndombele / Sessengon

So many questions with that. Will Dier regain his form and can he do what he used to do, drop in and out of CM/CB positions. If that’s the case it might not be that bad.

But at the moment I wouldn’t be happy with that because I feel we need a DM in between winks and Ndombele.

I agree yes a new CB is very important, but I think a new DM is equally as important perhaps more. I don’t think Sanchez/Dier are world class like prime Toby and Jan were but I think they could get to a decent level if they have the right protection in front of them.

And perhaps that would give Sanchez some time to grow in to the player we hope he becomes along with Foyth ofcourse.

I just think a new top class DM solves a lot of our problems, and we won’t concede as many opportunities for our back line to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom