January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what way?

Nothing this season suggests any of our defenders are up to much good.

Oh, come on.

You just sound like someone with an epic agenda.

Sanchez on his own is making some very basic mistakes. One against one. Or even just him going for a ball.
Sure, Toby is not perfect. But he is better than Sanchez by quite some distance. And now I am only talking about his defensive abilities. Toby is also a very good passer and crosser - smth that Sanchez does not have in his locker.

---------new GK

new RB----new CB----new CB----new LB

----new CM----Ndombele
new RW--------GLC--------Son

--------Kane

Sub
new GK
new RB/LB
Sanchez
new CM
Dele
Lucas
new ST

We need to clear out at least 2/3 of personell over the next 1/2 seasons.
You've ditched Sessegnon before he's stepped on the pitch for us!
:memelol:

Oh, come on.

You just sound like someone with an epic agenda.

Sanchez on his own is making some very basic mistakes. One against one. Or even just him going for a ball.
Sure, Toby is not perfect. But he is better than Sanchez by quite some distance. And now I am only talking about his defensive abilities. Toby is also a very good passer and crosser - smth that Sanchez does not have in his locker.

Toby is a better individual defender than Dav, unfortunately it is because of this Toby is so poor at the minute. He can't hold a line and seems to defend to what suits him as opposed to what suits the team. Toby has been at fault for at least two goals this season. Anyone who can't see that definitely has an agenda.

Toby is a better individual defender than Dav, unfortunately it is because of this Toby is so poor at the minute. He can't hold a line and seems to defend to what suits him as opposed to what suits the team. Toby has been at fault for at least two goals this season. Anyone who can't see that definitely has an agenda.

No, surely Toby have cost us few.
But so has Dav. Though Toby has played more. Also he has contributed more to our general play.

So I dont think that Toby is perfect, but he still is a lot better than Sanchez.

Last edited:
But so has Dav. Though Toby has played more. Also he has contributed more to our general play.

So I dont think that Toby is perfect, but he still is a lot better than Sanchez.
The thing is an an experienced defender, I expect Toby to know how to hold a line, when to push up, when to defend deep. At present our defence is all over the shop, and with the experience of Jan and Toby, I don't expect that.

I get that Toby gets good will because up to a couple of years ago he was fucking phenomenal, but like a lot of things in our side, the present is very different to the past. If we aren't targeting at least two defenders and possibly another young centre half for moulding, then we are in deep shit come the end of this season.

This is also in part because of our style of defending (Dav looks a lot better for Colombia for example). And also because Toby is older and more experience. Dav is still learning and should be playing next to a senior defender that would lead the defense and give him help and instructions during the game. And Jan is so much better in that aspect than Toby is. Toby is a 1 on 1 defender and tends to forget that he has to lead the line when Jan is not playing. It's what had made their duo so good. They complement each other. It was also why Dav looked so comfortable next to Jan. He literally had the near perfect mentor next to him.

Davinson's biggest problem is playing alongside Toby.

Funny how good he looked playing alongside Jan, but how much worse playing beside Toby.

Also funny how the Toby + Jan pairing looks so much weaker too.

Davinsons biggest problem is he doesn't read the game well enough to be a top class footballer. He gets caught the wrong side too much because he's 99% of the time too gung ho.

I want to see him learn when to push a player out wide, when to stand five yards off of someone, when to read danger and how to read it. For me he's too much of a ball watcher to make it into the elite levels but he has time to grow and learn. He has raw qualities but he really isn't polishing up very well has to be said.

Davinsons biggest problem is he doesn't read the game well enough to be a top class footballer. He gets caught the wrong side too much because he's 99% of the time too gung ho.

I want to see him learn when to push a player out wide, when to stand five yards off of someone, when to read danger and how to read it. For me he's too much of a ball watcher to make it into the elite levels but he has time to grow and learn. He has raw qualities but he really isn't polishing up very well has to be said.

Yeah, would agree with you there, but I think Poch is messing him about and not really giving him the best chance.

The faults you mention are also applicable to our other defenders, so I think there is another question. Are all our defenders going backward, or are they going backward because they have instructions that they can't follow?

Would Luis Alberto be a decent alternative for us to look at?

He's produced 20 goals and 29 assists in 98 games for Lazio and is able to play in every position in the attacking line so certainly seems a versatile player.

His short Liverpool stint was obviously not a banger. But he has grown since then.

Bruno would still be my ideal name in to provide creativity but it is never wrong listing alternatives no?

I’d suggest we desperately need a midfielder to cover the back four. The times we’ve been successful recently have mainly been due to having a performing Wanyama or Dier sitting there.

Assuming Wanyama is now officially fucked and Dier isn’t going to find his form again, we need someone in there quickly.

Look at the best teams out there with Busquets, Kante, Gueye, Rodri, Fernandinho in their sides. We’ve got nobody.

Could we get Kessie? Ndidi? Fuck, I’d take Declan Rice at present. Carvalho any good again? Anyone!?!?!!

I’d suggest we desperately need a midfielder to cover the back four. The times we’ve been successful recently have mainly been due to having a performing Wanyama or Dier sitting there.

Assuming Wanyama is now officially fucked and Dier isn’t going to find his form again, we need someone in there quickly.

Look at the best teams out there with Busquets, Kante, Gueye, Rodri, Fernandinho in their sides. We’ve got nobody.

Could we get Kessie? Ndidi? Fuck, I’d take Declan Rice at present. Carvalho any good again? Anyone!?!?!!
Florentino Luis looks like the next big thing, but given that Felix went for crazy money, I don't think Benfica will sell him cheaply either

Davinson's biggest problem is playing alongside Toby.

Funny how good he looked playing alongside Jan, but how much worse playing beside Toby.

Also funny how the Toby + Jan pairing looks so much weaker too.
One could make a similar argument about Wimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom