January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noussair Mazraoui – 21 year old RB at Ajax. Currently out with an injury and Ajax are looking to bed in his 18 year old replacement. So depending on how well that kid does Mazraoui could very well move this upcoming window. - YES.

Wilmar Barrios – And old favorite of these threads. Have done well at Zenit since making the move last January and would give us some much needed steel in the midfield as a DM. - No, rather use Skipp.

Denis Zakaria- 22 year old talent at Gladbach. Could be a good alternative for the DM spot. - No, see above.

Florian Grillitsch – 24 year old CM at Hoffenheim. Can also play DM but CM is more his forte. A third choice for Barrios and Zakaria IMO. No - Don't need more CM's.

Bruno Fernandes – Would greately soften the blow of Eriksen going off the boil and looking for a way out. Has confirmed that we had a deal wrapped up with him and his agent before Sporting decided to throw a wrench in the works. Worth revisiting in January. - FUCKING YES.

Willi Orban – My go to replacement for one of the Belgians. Been at Leipzig since 2015, the key to their CB setup and their captain. Would be the perfect guy to steer our defense whilst Davinson and Foyth matures. - Can't comment.

Lewis Dunk – A more domestic alternative to Orban. - Good god no. Ake a better option.

Ryan Fraser – Bournemouth's little Scottish wizard. On his final year so we could make a move for him in January before next season. - Interested on a free.

Federico Chiesa – Second generation starlet at Fiorentina. Worth keeping an eye on. - Not yet.

Other names to keeptrack of are Kalifa Coulibaly at Nantes, Sander Berge at Genk and the Marseille duo of Morgan Sanson and Maxim Lopez.
SANDER BERGE YES

Does anyone actually give a shit.....this club has years of transition written all over it right now

It really shouldn't be a transition year though. Literally the whole squad is exactly the same as before apart from Sessegnon, Tanguy and Gio.

I'm not having the whole transitional year excuse this time mate, the players imply have to find solutions and stand up to the plate. Man U & Chelsea are absolutely there for the taking when it comes to the top four slots, no excuses to be had that is the minimum I expect from this group.

Poch blindly dislikes certain players yet blinding stays loyal to others. How is Davinson Sanchez anywhere near our starting XI at the moment the bloke has shown no signs of learning.

We have so much talent and have probably now seen 3 of the 5 hardest away places to go pass us by. It's been a ropey start but no excuses, a manager and club who has had 6 years at the helm simply cannot use the transitional excuse, it's feeble and o won't stomach it. Poor form yes, it happens but what is so transitional about our team at the moment?

They still want Dier! I hope so anyway.
No chance that we sell Moura (to United), Dier could be an option as long as we replace him properly, perhaps with someone like Sander Berge.

Not that I believe that United are actually interested in signing Eric Dier.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't be a transition year though. Literally the whole squad is exactly the same as before apart from Sessegnon, Tanguy and Gio.
It really isn't that simple though when you consider Wanyama being a shadow of his former self and three key players all out of contract next summer.

Not to mention Rose has regressed/was openly for sale and Trippier is gone.

If we're lucky (especially when you look at how he's been playing) we might be able to get a fee for Eriksen in January and bring in someone who actually plays for us with fire in their belly. That kind of creative engine swap mid season would provide upheaval too.

I'm holding out some hope that a resurgent Lamela and a fit Lo Celso could cover where Eriksen is lacking.

a fit Lo Celso

How soon Lo Celso can play and how quickly he adapts is looking like it will be critical to our season.

Eriksen is off - fully expect a pre-contract in January somewhere. Ndombele gives the impression it will be months rather than weeks for him to get up and running.

Going to need Lo Celso to come in and pull the strings.

I'm not having the whole transitional year excuse this time mate, the players imply have to find solutions and stand up to the plate. Man U & Chelsea are absolutely there for the taking when it comes to the top four slots, no excuses to be had that is the minimum I expect from this group.

Poch blindly dislikes certain players yet blinding stays loyal to others. How is Davinson Sanchez anywhere near our starting XI at the moment the bloke has shown no signs of learning.

We have so much talent and have probably now seen 3 of the 5 hardest away places to go pass us by. It's been a ropey start but no excuses, a manager and club who has had 6 years at the helm simply cannot use the transitional excuse, it's feeble and o won't stomach it. Poor form yes, it happens but what is so transitional about our team at the moment?

Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Eriksen are not going to give their all as they are in the final year of their contracts. They have to be careful to not pick up serious injuries that will deter future employers. Next summer can't come quick enough for them so that can safely move on to pastures new.

Aurier, Wanyama and Rose were on the transfer list in the summer but couldn't secure moves away. Why would they show full commitment during games when they know deep down the manager no longer wants them.

Dier is so out of favour now that it won't be long before he packs his bags and moves on.

This is not a united squad where everyone is is fully focused and happy. How can it be? Yes 3 years ago it was and look at how good we were. There is too much limbo about the place and it's causing a malaise. Until all the players above leave and new players come in this squad is in transition

Oh and we made 4 signings in the summer and only one of them is currently contributing and he is struggling himself to come to terms with the pace of the PL. If all this isn't a period of transition then I don't know what is

Poch is molding both of our younger CBs by playing them at RB.

I don’t get it. Foyth should be plying his trade as a CB. Getting time at RB is just taking time away from KWP and more importantly, minutes in his natural position. Like Toby for Belgium, Foyth has been deployed at RB for his country, but for club he should be in the middle of the park where he has the opportunity to be world class. He just doesn’t have the skill set at RB to be a world class player.

I laughed like fuck when I saw what Villa paid for Mings, but he’s looked brilliant so far.

I’d be delighted to see him and Dunk as our central defence.

Soyuncu cost Leicester a measly £18.99m one year ago. And look at what we have lumbered ourselves with for twice that price. I'm fucking ripping.

He is effing two levels above Sanchez of last/this season unfortunately, agreed.
PLUS he seem to be enrgetic/fighter kind of a guy. While Davinson ... is there

He is effing two levels above Sanchez of last/this season unfortunately, agreed.
PLUS he seem to be enrgetic/fighter kind of a guy. While Davinson ... is there
Davinson's biggest problem is playing alongside Toby.

Funny how good he looked playing alongside Jan, but how much worse playing beside Toby.

Also funny how the Toby + Jan pairing looks so much weaker too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom