January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eriksen > Juve (free)
Dybala > Spurs (free)
Levy pays image rights.

Think the problem is Juventos thought they could sell Dybala for lots of money.

After a few clubs have looked at a deal for Dybala and nobody can come up with a solution for the image rights except paying lots of money to company owning them, you would hope Juvenrus see he s worth nothing. But will they ?

If only all lawyers were as smart as you and were able to boil down complex, multi million dollar deals to a simple yes or no answer...

If you know more about this case then say so, otherwise why be a dick about it....

I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Just playing armchair DOF, but what law suit....?

He either signed over his image rights or he didn't....

Don't know all the details but Dybala apparently signed over his image rights to a company called Star for 10 years ( for a fee which with 20/20 hindsight was too low but it was before he became an established player). star is apparently owned by his former agent.

After a year or so he tried to cancel that deal by appointing different agents so Star are no longer getting any revenue from selling his image rights

The original company, Star, are now apparently suing him for the early termination of the contract but also let it be known that they will settle the case for maybe £40m or so.

So until the case comes to court ( not sure a date has been set yet) or someone reached a deal with Star there is a big uncertainty over the liability.

Star are probably over estimating the value of 9 years or so of lost image rights revenue but they are under no obligation to be reasonable. In effect they are holding Dybala ( and Juventus) for ransom.

Last edited:

Bruno Fernandes having a nice start to the season after his move from Sporting collapsed.
This was after he got sent off against Boavista last weekend.

Fake news. This is old footage. It's from deadline day when his agent informed him Levy was still refusing to raise his 48.7 million bid to the 48.9 million Sporting wanted.

Don't know all the details but Dybala apparently signed over his image rights to a company called Star for 10 years ( for a fee which with 20/20 hindsight was too low but it was before he became an established player). star is apparently owned by his former agent.

After a year or so he tried to cancel that deal by appointing different agents so Star are no longer getting any revenue from selling his image rights

The original company, Star, are now apparently suing him for the early termination of the contract but also let it be known that they will settle the case for maybe £40m or so.

So until the case comes to court ( not sure a date has been set yet) or someone reached a deal with Star there is a big uncertainty over the liability.

Star are probably over estimating the value of 9 years or so of lost image rights revenue but they are under no obligation to be reasonable. In effect they are holding Dybala ( and Juventus) for ransom.

I didn't realise they were suing him, I just thought 40 mil was the price they put on selling his rights. Either way its a lot of money for a player like him, I can't see many clubs wanting to pay that on top of the wages and transfer fee.

I didn't realise they were suing him, I just thought 40 mil was the price they put on selling his rights. Either way its a lot of money for a player like him, I can't see many clubs wanting to pay that on top of the wages and transfer fee.
In a proper world they shouldn't have to either.

It should be on Dybala and possibly Juventus to solve this issue. Dybala can make that money back in bonuses at his new club later.

But sadly football does not work like that it seems since Dybala and Juve are apparently expecting a buying club to solve it for them.

If you know more about this case then say so, otherwise why be a dick about it....

I'm not claiming to be an expert.

"But Marca claims the situation is complicated further because the Argentine is "currently embroiled in a court case [with Star Image Company], after having withdrawn from a contract with them in 2017 under bad terms."

I know January won’t be a window where we take English players, but I like Lewis Dunk. Still 27 and would step in for an aging Verts. Very strong in the air and has shown real maturity in his 1v1 defending. Reminds me a little bit of Verts in his ability to shift his hips and guide players.

A poster on another forum asked me to compile a list of players I would like to see Spurs go for. Figured it was worth reposting it on here as well. These are not necessarily January signings but this is the best thread for it. I have not taken things like price into account but rather focused on what I think we need and what I think these players can bring to the team.

Noussair Mazraoui – 21 year old RB at Ajax. Currently out with an injury and Ajax are looking to bed in his 18 year old replacement. So depending on how well that kid does Mazraoui could very well move this upcoming window.

Wilmar Barrios – And old favorite of these threads. Have done well at Zenit since making the move last January and would give us some much needed steel in the midfield as a DM.

Denis Zakaria- 22 year old talent at Gladbach. Could be a good alternative for the DM spot.

Florian Grillitsch – 24 year old CM at Hoffenheim. Can also play DM but CM is more his forte. A third choice for Barrios and Zakaria IMO.

Bruno Fernandes – Would greately soften the blow of Eriksen going off the boil and looking for a way out. Has confirmed that we had a deal wrapped up with him and his agent before Sporting decided to throw a wrench in the works. Worth revisiting in January.

Willi Orban – My go to replacement for one of the Belgians. Been at Leipzig since 2015, the key to their CB setup and their captain. Would be the perfect guy to steer our defense whilst Davinson and Foyth matures.

Lewis Dunk – A more domestic alternative to Orban.

Ryan Fraser – Bournemouth's little Scottish wizard. On his final year so we could make a move for him in January before next season.

Federico Chiesa – Second generation starlet at Fiorentina. Worth keeping an eye on.

Other names to keeptrack of are Kalifa Coulibaly at Nantes, Sander Berge at Genk and the Marseille duo of Morgan Sanson and Maxim Lopez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom