January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obviously not all that was said at the meeting but it does help with us appearing transparent.
It puts it out as more or less official that we wanted to move 6 first team players on but couldn't do it. We pretty much knew that, but now the media will rake it up all over again, this time based on what Levy has said. I don't see how this is helping.

And then they give 30yo Sissoko a new fucking deal and wonder how they got themselves into this fucking mess.

Good news from the Trust minutes is that Sissokos new contract adds only one new year plus an option for a further year to his existing contract per Levy (quote)

Probably a pay rise though.

With the number of players moving on In the next 12 months Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen Wanyama and Aurier I can't see him being moved on in the next 12 months but in the following 12 months at the earliest. But if we can't force Wanyama and Aurier out in January or summer then he should be on the short list of " next to unload"

So maybe the New contract just ensures Sissokos contract has 2 years left on it when we expect to offload him in 2 years tine

And then they give 30yo Sissoko a new fucking deal and wonder how they got themselves into this fucking mess.

I do make you right that giving Sissoko a new deal was unnecessary. I don't see the logic in it apart from protecting a £30m expense and making it look like less of a mad expense. Sissoko gets paid very handsomely as it is, I don't see why we needed to do that but hey, I ain't the chairman.

The remainers have been quiet in fairness since the season started to go badly, whereas the remoaners said we needed significant change.

Here it is now from the horse's mouth.

We needed and still need a overhaul but that has been evident I feel for 18 months.

I think now we know and maybe we draw swords again once we get rid of the leavers.

I for one would be happy (content may be the better way of putting it) to never see Rose, Alderweireld and Eriksen in our shirt again.

I actually wonder if Alli is one who wanted out as well.

Last edited:

Text manipulates things a bit though.

I think that it was planned for Wanyama to move in - but it was clear from the Bruges end that Wanyama turned down the deal despite very decent wages and Spurs agreeing the fee.

Personally would have loved to move Aurier on, but Foyths injury probably meant that couldn't happen.

And most of us were expecting offers to roll in for £25m Alderweireld from a host of clubs and Madrid to bid for Eriksen - but they never did.

And whilst Rose was given time off instead of going on preseason, to find another club, nothing came of it.

All in the public domain months ago, so just a journo trying to fill space by recycling articles he wrote in the summer.

I'd much rather see us go for this kid over Bruno Fernandes, he looks great!

There's plenty of top players out there at clubs deemed lesser than ours. Fabian Ruiz, Houssem Aouar, Youcef Atal, Noussem Mazzroui, Dayot Upamecano etc, we just have to figure out what angle we want to grow the next spine with.

We need a world class centre back and a wc defensive midfielder, conceding too many goals, 3 against Brighton is criminal.
A RB and a decent backup Striker too.

None of the above will happen in January or any signings, probably flog a player or two may be Serge to Athletico Bilbao.

I'd much rather see us go for this kid over Bruno Fernandes, he looks great!

There's plenty of top players out there at clubs deemed lesser than ours. Fabian Ruiz, Houssem Aouar, Youcef Atal, Noussem Mazzroui, Dayot Upamecano etc, we just have to figure out what angle we want to grow the next spine with.

Getting Fabian would be so much harder than getting Bruno.

Napoli are working night and day to extend his deal and include a 100 mil release clause. And both Real Madrid and Barcelona are actively working on recruiting him.

Not saying that we shouldn't bite if we're offered to. But allowing Real and Barca to fight over Fabian could open up space for us to approach other targets.

And I agree about us needing to widen our net so to speak when it comes to looking for future players.

giphy.gif

Decent get. 14 goals in the Bundesliga last season. 17 in Ligue 2 the season before that. No goals this season according to the Bundesligas website but all of Mainz are struggling which could explain that. He's a tall lad that scores a lot of headers and likes to make runs in behind the backline. Something our strikers except for Sonny seem to not want to do. He was fun to watch in the Bundesliga last season.

Decent get. 14 goals in the Bundesliga last season. 17 in Ligue 2 the season before that. No goals this season according to the Bundesligas website but all of Mainz are struggling which could explain that. He's a tall lad that scores a lot of headers and likes to make runs in behind the backline. Something our strikers except for Sonny seem to not want to do. He was fun to watch in the Bundesliga last season.

I think he's been out with an injury all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom