January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If it's true that Poch is extremely picky with new signings and we just don't have the financial power for the players he wants then we have a big problem

Do we no longer bother signing players all together then going forwards ? That seems to have been the approach for the last year or so and it's gonna catch up with us real fast

You may be right.... But fair play to you for at least not exonerating Poch from his role in this scenario.

I don't remember him saying that, and if he did, I don't believe a word of it. He's said himself many times, and said it in that book, he signs off on all transfers, and this was a near record signing, there's no way we make a signing like that on a whim. No way.

TBF, I don't remember that part in the book either, not saying it wasn't in there but I think something like that would have stuck out. Or the way it was approached...

TBF, I don't remember that part in the book either, not saying it wasn't in there but I think something like that would have stuck out. Or the way it was approached...

Hhhhhmm..... Dishonest representation of our managers words? Now where have i seen that before? ....The tabloids? Yes, of course, but i'm thinking somewhat closer to home....

Being in someone's plans are pretty broad. Doesn't automatically mean the plan is a first team spot. I guess people are in his plans until they're not. Maybe he was offered a player he felt had more potential and as a result of that deal is moving him on. Maybe his plan was to get rid of him all along... I''m clearly looking for more in this than there is.

He's been on our radar for over a year.

Funnily enough, I just saw this

Saying that, what would the likes of Troy Parrott think when we're signing young strikers instead of just giving our own a chance!

It's sh!t mate.

How can we be closely watching a bloke about to sign for another team?

Closely following the news at ten more like.

Last edited:
Being in someone's plans are pretty broad. Doesn't automatically mean the plan is a first team spot. I guess people are in his plans until they're not. Maybe he was offered a player he felt had more potential and as a result of that deal is moving him on. Maybe his plan was to get rid of him all along... I''m clearly looking for more in this than there is.

Thanks for that.

He's been on our radar for over a year.

Funnily enough, I just saw this

Saying that, what would the likes of Troy Parrott think when we're signing young strikers instead of just giving our own a chance!

That is the only thing I can think of. Perhaps our guys think that Kazaiah Sterling is just as good, and would score the same number of goals for Sunderland, and hence don't want to knock him down the pecking list or dent his morale.

Still, much the same, get over it tho, eh?

You make it sound like this is standard policy.... It's not. We're not Woolwich.

But I do think it has become an issue. Making Poch the “manager” as opposed to head coach with him as de facto head of recruiting instead of a committee system with others having more input into transfers has seen a slight shift in our transfer business that has created a log jam.

Having a policy geared more toward value and inherent value retention, and/or a certain age profile (Rose, Walker, Trippier, Alli, Dier, Eriksen, Lamela) has been replaced with a more manager driven “now” policy.

When that doesn’t work out, for whatever reason, they are harder to shift, because instead of playing 5-10m we’ve paid 25-30m and instead of being on 30-50k they are on 90k.

So we buy Sissoko (50m fee/wage), Aurier (50m f/w) when we already had KWP, Moura (50m f/w) Llorente (30m f/w) when we already had Janssen.

Not fabulous business.

But I do think it has become an issue. Making Poch the “manager” as opposed to head coach with him as de facto head of recruiting instead of a committee system with others having more input into transfers has seen a slight shift in our transfer business that has created a log jam.

Having a policy geared more toward value and inherent value retention, and/or a certain age profile (Rose, Walker, Trippier, Alli, Dier, Eriksen, Lamela) has been replaced with a more manager driven “now” policy.

When that doesn’t work out, for whatever reason, they are harder to shift, because instead of playing 5-10m we’ve paid 25-30m and instead of being on 30-50k they are on 90k.

So we buy Sissoko (50m fee/wage), Aurier (50m f/w) when we already had KWP, Moura (50m f/w) Llorente (30m f/w) when we already had Janssen.

Not fabulous business.
Agree with that wholeheartedly. It's not great that we're not signing those type of players anymore. It's worked for us generally and when it didn't, we hadn't blown a load of cash and could offload the players. Totally agree.

Hence why Maja, Bowen etc appeal greatly to me.

Back
Top Bottom