January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't remember him saying that, and if he did, I don't believe a word of it. He's said himself many times, and said it in that book, he signs off on all transfers, and this was a near record signing, there's no way we make a signing like that on a whim. No way.
Why would he say it if it weren't true though? I can't remember the exact quote but to paraphrase he literally said something like "Daniel said here you go Mauricio, see what you can do with him." I remember being slightly alarmed but not surprised when reading it.

Genuine question.... Are you Adrian Durham? (I just, but see how this works...?)
Hey now come on, no need to cross the banter line.
:levystare:

Who came in with bids for (eg) GKN... How much did they offer?

Rose?

...Llorente?
There were plenty of articles linking Nkoudou back to France, Llorente has been linked with a move back to Bilbao and La Liga ever since he joined us. Rose granted is a special case given his personal circumstances and many clubs would be wary of him, so there weren't any tangible links for him barring the PSG and Schalke links on deadline day.

Why would he say it if it weren't true though? I can't remember the exact quote but to paraphrase he literally said something like "Daniel said here you go Mauricio, see what you can do with him." I remember being slightly alarmed but not surprised when reading it.

I think he talks about buying him after “a great Euros” (which is bogus) and says something like “Daniel thinks I can improve him”.

Either way there is no way Levy would commit 50m in fee and wages for a 27yo without Poch being completely aware and wanting him.

This isn’t a 18yo from the Belgian 2nd division. This was a high profile experienced PL international player who had “impressed Poch at the Euros”.

Levy just isn’t going turn up on deadline day and go “surprise, honey I’ve bought you a 30m player”

If I’m wrong and Poch didn’t want him then I’ll happily recant. But Poch has said repeatedly no one gets brought in without his say so, especially from around 2016 onwards.

IMO there’s no way this was forced on him.

Hey now come on, no need to cross the banter line.
:levystare:

Lol... :pochbye:

There were plenty of articles linking Nkoudou back to France, Llorente has been linked with a move back to Bilbao and La Liga ever since he joined us. Rose granted is a special case given his personal circumstances and many clubs would be wary of him, so there weren't any tangible links for him barring the PSG and Schalke links on deadline day.

It seems we're at a milder state of accusation than we initially were....

I guess i'm just not someone that takes "links" particularly seriously... Even from so-called Spurs friendly journos...

Last edited:
Levy doesn't want anyone smaller than himself at the club, it's policy.
giphy.gif

Whoaaaaaa Black Betty, Nainggolan, whooooooa Black Betty, Nainggolan...

I have no opinion on him, but I'd sign him just for that chant tbh.
:harryhmm:
I wonder if his body would keep up with our training routines. Poch is known to have really physical training sessions and Naingolan has admitted to being a heavy smoker and drinker. Which is quite uncommon among modern pros.

Perhaps our guys think that Kazaiah Sterling is just as good...

Not sure why they would think that, never looked that great when I've seen the Yootdem, not pulling up any trees as far as I can see goals-wise, barely features on the bench, never really bigged up by Windy or those who watch the kids more than we do...

Not sure why they would think that, never looked that great when I've seen the Yootdem, not pulling up any trees as far as I can see goals-wise, barely features on the bench, never really bigged up by Windy or those who watch the kids more than we do...

Yep all makes sense, just can't work out why they wouldn't look at Maja so this was the first thought. If Sterling isn't great, does beg the question as to why he's still with us I guess; he must have some ability.

Yep all makes sense, just can't work out why they wouldn't look at Maja so this was the first thought. If Sterling isn't great, does beg the question as to why he's still with us I guess; he must have some ability.
Not uncommon to keep 10 players you know won't make it to bring through the one you fancy ... He may have attributes we value to bring others through and nothing better behind him

Still only 20, so he has that on his side.

See also Shayon Harrison, came on as a sub vs Liverpool in the the League Cup, missed a sitter, went on loan to Yeovil and then Southend, played 28 games in total, scored once. Back in the day, in another time when we weren't signing anyone (hard to imagine, I know), people were talking about him stepping up, getting his chance, seems to have sunk without trace

Still only 20, so he has that on his side.

See also Shayon Harrison, came on as a sub vs Liverpool in the the League Cup, missed a sitter, went on loan to Yeovil and then Southend, played 28 games in total, scored once. Back in the day, in another time when we weren't signing anyone (hard to imagine, I know), people were talking about him stepping up, getting his chance, seems to have sunk without trace

I know, i remember the talk of him perhaps being the next coming through... then he tanked. Him and Edwards had the same barnet if I remember correctly.

It can't be that hard to find some decent young strikers for fuck's sake.

I wonder if the club is still looking at Ryan Sessengnon?

I know he's still very young but I haven't really been impressed by him at all.
While he still probably has big potential, it's definitely not been the best season from him (though he has more assists/goals than you might realise).

Fulham have done us a favour by refusing to sell last summer as the hype around him will have died down massively. Plus you can bet they'll be cornered into letting him go if they get relegated.

I'd still really like to see what Poch could do with him, especially considering that I have the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that Davies isn't going to cut it for us at LB (certainly not as a LWB) long term.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom