January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not really the level we should be looking at though is it!!!

Why not?

....What shelf do you expect to shop from?

"Rough diamonds"
"Overpriced Mediocrity"
"Mega-bucks"

Who gives a fuck what league we scout if they do the business?

Dele doesn't understand your attitude either: :deledoubt:

Fair enough but it just feels that your having a debate with zero opinion and just countering everyone elses with neutral "facts"
Yes I am not having a debate in this instance, someone said something and I posted what the current situation is. I.e. they will probably have no profit - they are expected to have €100M profit. - some things are a matter of fact.

I often post opinion but in this case its information.

My personal opinion is that we are being run really well, I am happiest I have ever been as a supporter. I hope we extend Eriksen but don't see it and he will be difficult to replace, I don't think offering £300K p/w will keep him. I am happy with keeping Toby and expect him to go in the Summer.

My criticism - it was my upstanding that as a club we would be increasing revenue and this would lead to an increase in wages / competitiveness. During the last set of accounts our already low W/T ratio fell, this may not be the case anymore due to the new contracts and perhaps we should move it up towards 60% in order to get in better players.

I have issues with our season ticket prices, but not major, we will be the most expensive season tickets (probably in the world game by game) and without success / purchases (winning things) you will see a huge backlash in the next couple of years. I understand the arguments on both sides, but this is the reality of the situation.

*Going back to the Levy discussion my opinion was it looks bad for Levy to be paid the most in his role while the club have a message that we cant compete/ need to be sensible with wages. The fact was Kane is not in the EPL top earners.

Last edited:
Pochettino all but says outright in his book he had absolutely nothing to do with signing Sissoko. It was a panic buy as we didn't get our first choice targets.

Thus disapproving the whinge that Levy won't take action if he sees it necessary....

It's not Levy taking the hit though. It's the club. One of Levy's responsibilities is to make sure the club is run properly, financially. If you are running a company and you sell property worth 15m for 5m you will soon find yourself discharged of your duties.
Things are only worth what you can sell them for, if you sell property for 5m now and purchase property of 5m that increases in value (or revenue) by 10m+ that is a positive, its not a zero sum game.

Rabiot and now Nainggolan.

Poch loves a bad boy.

:ledleylick:
giphy.gif

Why not?

....What shelf do you expect to shop from?

"Rough diamonds"
"Overpriced Mediocrity"
"Mega-bucks"

Who gives a fuck what league we scout if they do the business?

Dele doesn't understand your attitude either: :deledoubt:
Appreciate what you’re saying, but this guy is a 25 year old in the championship, not a young 19 year old hot prospect like Dele was. They are incomparable aside from playing in lower leagues.

Scouting lower leagues for young players with a high ceiling I’m all for. But I’m also for supplementing our squad with a bit of proven talent at a higher level. That will mean spending a little more, but we are trying to win trophies in the toughest league in the world. It’s neccessary for us to continue our progression.

I fully believe Levy asked for 20 odd mil in the Summer for Dembele and then obviously accepted a lower amount now as he has only 6 months remaining, yes. That's simple economics, no?

Is there any basis to this belief of yours?

Any reason why you've reduced your original claim from 20-30 to a more catagoric (lower) 20?

I also believe had we been only asking for 50 million for Toby, then United would have paid it.
Of course our opinions are moot, as are 99% of the opinions on here, it's a forum my friend!

I don't say moot on the mere basis that it's an opinion... You've built a straw man solely on the assumption that a) there were suitors for these players and b) you know much we were asking.

None of us really know what's going on. If you genuinely believe us not being able to sell a single player in the Summer to make way for new signings wasn't in any way down to us putting inflated unrealistic prices on players, then fair enough, but deep down you know it's not true.

We're trying to sell players that have bombed badly....

Tell me.... Who tried to buy them?

I don't think they have net losses - I cant see twitter (he has moved to there) but swiss ramble has profit 2014 & 2015

The Swiss Ramble: Liverpool

Appreciate the link but lost the will pretty early on, did take this snippet away though:

So the club is in far better shape financially, though admittedly it would have been difficult to do worse than the previous hierarchy, whose mismanagement resulted in Liverpool’s future being decided in the High Court six years ago. That said, the club has come a long way, from the brink of administration with the unloved Roy Hodgson as manager, to a profitable operation with the popular Klopp at the helm.

Basically it can collapse if not run correctly regardless of broadcast money, big numbers mean everything is on a knife edge. Seen it with many clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Villa, the list goes on...

Think i've gone off on one. Apologies as don't want to spend my life obsessed by liverpool

So Levy signing a player the manager didn't want because he failed to sign his first choice targets disproves the 'whinge'?
:dembelelol:
I genuinely can't work out if you're trolling or not sometimes mate.

Maybe badly worded on my part but isnt one of the stock moans about Levy that he wouldn't hesitate to leave a manager short?

...Why would someone like that splash 30m in such a manner?

It proves he is willing.

Appreciate the link but lost the will pretty early on, did take this snippet away though:

So the club is in far better shape financially, though admittedly it would have been difficult to do worse than the previous hierarchy, whose mismanagement resulted in Liverpool’s future being decided in the High Court six years ago. That said, the club has come a long way, from the brink of administration with the unloved Roy Hodgson as manager, to a profitable operation with the popular Klopp at the helm.

Basically it can collapse if not run correctly regardless of broadcast money, big numbers mean everything is on a knife edge. Seen it with many clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Villa, the list goes on...

Think i've gone off on one. Apologies as don't want to spend my life obsessed by liverpool
This was due to Liverpool being bought in the same way that Man U were i.e. Leveraged buyout, the cost of buying the club was mortgaged against the club. This should be banned and is not really to do with the way Liverpool were being run but how they were purchased.

Across Uefa FFP has meant that club football has not been more healthy

UEFA says European club football profitable for first time | Reuters

Appreciate what you’re saying, but this guy is a 25 year old in the championship, not a young 19 year old hot prospect like Dele was. They are incomparable aside from playing in lower leagues.

Scouting lower leagues for young players with a high ceiling I’m all for. But I’m also for supplementing our squad with a bit of proven talent at a higher level. That will mean spending a little more, but we are trying to win trophies in the toughest league in the world. It’s neccessary for us to continue our progression.

Well i dont watch Blackburn... Do you know the player specifically?

If not, why so dismissive?

..."A little more"?

Try a shit loads more... At a time it appears we don't have great cash flow.

Back
Top Bottom