January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Surely it won't be anywhere near £20,000,000!?

Solanke went to a tribunal and was £3,000,000.
- Had never played for Chelsea but about 25 appearances in Netherlands for Vitesse
Ings went to a tribunal and was £6,500,000.
- Had played a lot for Burnley in PL
Ampadu went to a tribunal and was £2,500,000
- Had only played about 6 times for Exeter and only aged 17
Bostock went to a tribunal and was £700k
- A decade ago and only 16 at the time

That seems like an awful lot.

Some comments against each, I'd argue that Ings would be the closest to compare against as he's getting quite a few games for West Ham. But Ings transfer was about 3 years ago and fees have doubled in that time.

So £12m or so might be a decent guesss

Surely it won't be anywhere near £20,000,000!?

Solanke went to a tribunal and was £3,000,000.
Ings went to a tribunal and was £6,500,000.
Ampadu went to a tribunal and was £2,500,000
Bostock went to a tribunal and was £700k

That seems like an awful lot.
Ings was 8m(with the add ons) fee inflation and the fact he is a full international (probably an England one by then ) don't think 20m is unlikely... Obviously don't know until he goes.

Liverpool must pay record £8m to Burnley for Danny Ings, tribunal rules

Liverpool must pay record £8m to Burnley for Danny Ings, tribunal rules
The terms of the new contracts offered to the player by each club are considered, then the player’s playing record is looked at, in terms of first-team appearances and international call-ups. Finally, interest shown by any other clubs is taken into account. This could have a bearing on the Ings case, since Tottenham are understood to have been willing to pay £12m for the player. If that interest can be substantiated (the rulebook’s word), Liverpool might have to pay a higher sum.

On one hand it seems like we can't sign anybody, and then on the other hand, we sign Kane and Alli, with Alli even talking of 'trying to build something here'! ::swoon:: I didn't expect that from him, and still am feeling good about it : )

I'd wager nothing concrete happens for now while Sissoko gets a chance at a more prominent CM role. This will probably leave us in the usual cringey, tense transfer window-state well into January.

Last edited:
Grealish is not a central midfielder, he’s poor without the ball, doesn’t work hard enough and we really don’t need another “nearly” but flawed AM to add to our burgeoning list.

We need proper midfielders, we need a genuine 6 that can also play football, and at least one proper 8 who is also defensively capable (or two hybrids like NDombele/Hadaira) we have players like Eriksen, Alli (and at a massive stretch, Sissoko) who can play as 8's in CM3's but not in CM2 systems, so we need a couple of midfielders that can operate in both systems without compromise.

Skipp might be able to fill the footballing 6 remit - if Poch gives him chances and game time - but even then I still think we need at least another - maybe a hybrid like NDombele/Hadaira who can do a bit of everything in both systems.

Surely what Grealish does without the ball is the bit that can easily be coached?

Agree on an NDombele though to replace Dembele, think Poch will look to bring someone in in Jan.

Who cares how many times he's started this season?

ffs we'd be paying for THIS

I watched the first 5 minutes I didn't see anything spectacular, just for comparison I watched Sissoko's video. Sissoko looks more like a 50 million player, going on the video alone.

I watched the first 5 minutes I didn't see anything spectacular, just for comparison I watched Sissoko's video. Sissoko looks more like a 50 million player, going on the video alone.

Luckily, I've seen Diawara play and boss Man City.

So I'll take him if he's leaving Napoli.

They are chalk and cheese mate.

Just look at how much more comfortable and assured Diawara is on the ball, his technique, how much more fluent his movement is, how he's got passing pictures in his head at times, whereas with Sissoko it's by numbers and has to be seen first.

Apart from anything else, Diawara is a proper midfielder, Sissoko is more of an AM being used in CM because he's a unit who can run.

I haven't seen loads of Diawara, but what I have seen I like, he's a 6 who can play football, which is what we are crying out for.

They are chalk and cheese mate.

Just look at how much more comfortable and assured Diawara is on the ball, his technique, how much more fluent his movement is, how he's got passing pictures in his head at times, whereas with Sissoko it's by numbers and has to be seen first.

Apart from anything else, Diawara is a proper midfielder, Sissoko is more of an AM being used in CM because he's a unit who can run.

I haven't seen loads of Diawara, but what I have seen I like, he's a 6 who can play football, which is what we are crying out for.

If we're going off the usual Spurs model of buying potential World Class players that we can develop then Diawara would be near top of the list for central midfield along with Haidara and NDomebele.

Though I don't think a player can simply replace Dembele and what he brought to us - I think a change in formation is a way to get round the Dembele conundrum (433) and have said that for a while.

i think Paredes for me is more appalling

Paredes is a better player. 100%

But I don't think we are after him or he is on our radar. I think Diawara is. Money for me is not a problem in terms of how much we sign a player for. I don't care if we sign someone for £10,000,000 or £70,000,000 - but Diawara is a great talent, younger than Paredes and has something we need (just like Paredes).

Let's go and get both and our midfield is sorted for years. Winks, Paredes, Diawara midfield 3. Lovely.

But I don't think we are after him or he is on our radar. I think Diawara is. Money for me is not a problem in terms of how much we sign a player for. I don't care if we sign someone for £10,000,000 or £70,000,000 - but Diawara is a great talent, younger than Paredes and has something we need (just like Paredes).

Let's go and get both and our midfield is sorted for years. Winks, Paredes, Diawara midfield 3. Lovely.
Fuck sake stop giving me hope. What a midfield that would be. . .:crouch:

Would even take the slightly downgraded version of Haidara - Winks - Lobotka.

:lamelaaghh:

I would take that as well and I think that midfield has a similar potential ceiling. Even though Diawara is my favourite "hit the ground running" signing.

It just goes to show though, we are a bunch of cunts on a forum and even us lot have come up with about 5 or 6 suitable names that should be with in the clubs budget.

I will find it extremely annoying if the club don't at least attempt to sign one of them.

We need a dribbler who can pass and a passing DM. Dembele and Wanyama are both crocked. I'm actually fairly comfortable with winks at DM, proved himself against city and psv. But I'd be happier with someone like Diawara at DM, winks and another in front. Would be grouse to watch.

Speaking of cost - the club really needs to go Davinson-Sanchez-signing mode and just get it done when they identify the CM of choice.

This might shape how our team plays for the next 5+ years: no time for penny pinching (and, in fairness, I don't think they will in this case).

Speaking of cost - the club really needs to go Davinson-Sanchez-signing mode and just get it done when they identify the CM of choice.

This might shape how our team plays for the next 5+ years: no time for penny pinching (and, in fairness, I don't think they will in this case).
Exactly that is what frustrates me. . . we have done it before (Spent big money). There is no reason we can't put 50 mill down for a CM.

Back
Top Bottom