January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we're going off the usual Spurs model of buying potential World Class players that we can develop then Diawara would be near top of the list for central midfield along with Haidara and NDomebele.

Though I don't think a player can simply replace Dembele and what he brought to us - I think a change in formation is a way to get round the Dembele conundrum (433) and have said that for a while.

You've probably gathered by now I'm a 433-ista too. And those three would be right up there for me too.

Where we may differ is Dembele. I don't feel the same way as many do about him. I don't necessarily want him "replaced" like for like.

I like the fella, acknowledge he's got some outstanding qualities, there's been plenty of occasions Ive been glad he's out there, but I don't think he's been as crucial to "us" as others and I definitely don't always enjoy his holding onto the ball before triple checking it's safe to release it. There's been some games where Ive been glad of his unflappable nature and ability to take the sting out of things, but there have also been many games where I just want to see the ball won, then moved with a bit more vim and a lot more incision.

Like you, my ideal would be to see us pay a 433, with someone like Diawara central.

Exactly that is what frustrates me. . . we have done it before (Spent big money). There is no reason we can't put 50 mill down for a CM.
I have faith that we will. Touch wood, the club is doing the requisite scouting for such an outlay (though I don't know if our summer transfer window is either a good or bad indication of this being the case - we might have found no one, or conversely have identified targets that simply couldn't be bought at the time).

You've probably gathered by now I'm a 433-ista too. And those three would be right up there for me too.

Where we may differ is Dembele. I don't feel the same way as many do about him. I don't necessarily want him "replaced" like for like.

I like the fella, acknowledge he's got some outstanding qualities, there's been plenty of occasions Ive been glad he's out there, but I don't think he's been as crucial to "us" as others and I definitely don't always enjoy his holding onto the ball before triple checking it's safe to release it. There's been some games where Ive been glad of his unflappable nature and ability to take the sting out of things, but there have also been many games where I just want to see the ball won, then moved with a bit more vim and a lot more incision.

Like you, my ideal would be to see us pay a 433, with someone like Diawara central.
Spot on. I love Dembele, best 5 a side player in the world, gives me a semi when he glides past a man, smasher of Ramos, etc etc...

But replacing Dembele in a manner that changes dribbling past players (then passing) into quick passing from gaining possession will take this team to the next level, in my opinion.

Paredes is a better player. 100%

But I don't think we are after him or he is on our radar. I think Diawara is. Money for me is not a problem in terms of how much we sign a player for. I don't care if we sign someone for £10,000,000 or £70,000,000 - but Diawara is a great talent, younger than Paredes and has something we need (just like Paredes).

Let's go and get both and our midfield is sorted for years. Winks, Paredes, Diawara midfield 3. Lovely.

I haven’t seen much of Paredes and I don’t want to judge his Zenit days as that league is pretty bad.

I have my bias about Diawara as I spotted him the year before he transferred to Napoli and was like “Damn, I want him.”

What separates the two? I know Paredes likes a long ball, but how about dribbling, ball control, handling pressure? Diawara is one of the most skilled men in those areas IMO.

But we can't afford to sign any more foreign players, so it's all moot.
> Ship out Vorm
> Promote Alfie Whiteman as our number 3, with Gazzaniga at no. 2.

Makes space for at least one foreigner, surely?

giphy.gif

I haven’t seen much of Paredes and I don’t want to judge his Zenit days as that league is pretty bad.

I have my bias about Diawara as I spotted him the year before he transferred to Napoli and was like “Damn, I want him.”

What separates the two? I know Paredes likes a long ball, but how about dribbling, ball control, handling pressure? Diawara is one of the most skilled men in those areas IMO.

He's better all round.

Better at dribbling. Better at tackling. Better under pressure. Better ball control. Better positioning. Better passer. Takes set pieces.

But I've seen Paredes a lot more than Diawara (though whenever I have seen Diawara he's impressed me) - I've seen Paredes about 60+ times. He's had poor games of course but his positives outweigh every little negative he has. Superb player, still young too.

Only issue with Paredes MAY be his mentality. I mean he did choose Zenit over the likes of Juventus because they would pay him more and I'm sure a few weeks ago he said he would get banned just so he could watch Boca/River in the Cope Libetadores.

He's better all round.

Better at dribbling. Better at tackling. Better under pressure. Better ball control. Better positioning. Better passer. Takes set pieces.

But I've seen Paredes a lot more than Diawara (though whenever I have seen Diawara he's impressed me) - I've seen Paredes about 60+ times. He's had poor games of course but his positives outweigh every little negative he has. Superb player, still young too.

Only issue with Paredes MAY be his mentality. I mean he did choose Zenit over the likes of Juventus because they would pay him more and I'm sure a few weeks ago he said he would get banned just so he could watch Boca/River in the Cope Libetadores.
How much are Zenit meant to be paying him?

We need a dribbler who can pass and a passing DM. Dembele and Wanyama are both crocked. I'm actually fairly comfortable with winks at DM, proved himself against city and psv. But I'd be happier with someone like Diawara at DM, winks and another in front. Would be grouse to watch.
Winks with all his amazing attributes does not tackle or intercept enough to play as a DM all the time. He needs a partner to do the dirty work.

Great touch and passing range- can really spray it around the park.
Is a small player though- 5'8" and not particularly strong looking, he seems much more like deep playmaker in the mold of Winks rather than a replacement for Dembele.
I don't think this will happen- he just doesn't seem to have the type of physique that we would find in a typical Poch signing.

Fair to say that you don’t play fm Totti Totti

I haven't played FM19 yet, any good?

Barella is a good player though and shown as much this season - only issue I would have is that not MANY Italians come over to England and find success. It would also be far too much when we could probably get Diawara for a similar price (Who is the better player)

Though £35,000,000 seems to be the new £10,000,000 in modern day football. He is absolutely nothing like Dembele though, he's definitely more Winks, probably a better end product than Winks if anything. Him and Winks in midfield would be excellent as both like to play football but they would 100% need a ball winner with them in a 433.

Here's a clip of him against Milan.

I know people don't tend to like YouTube comps and prefer these every touch videos to gauge a better understanding. As you can see he's a good little player but he IS very little and MAY get bullied in the Premier League.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom