January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're supposedly tracking...
Werner
De Jong
De Ligt
Andersen
Bowen
Diawara
NDombele
+ 2 or 600 more

Do you think this is why we didn't sign anyone in the summer? Levy pulled out his laptop, got out Google maps and hundreds of dots were running about, all our "tracked" players that he had forgotten to label. Confusion hits "Shit who are they" followed by "Fuck that, get me Jack Grealish for a tenner, any cheaper and you can keep the change..."

I'm not suggesting that this is you or your ideas, just quoting you because of the list. These things just make me laugh because really what does it mean that we are "tracking" or "keeping an eye" on a player like De Jong or De Ligt or really any of these guys? If armchair amateurs like us know all about them, I would hope that out paid scouts who do this for a living don't decide on the 16th of January to have a look and research who they are!

Like I say, that's not targeted at you in any way. It's just something that annoys me and I finally decided to post it with your list.

Quite Interesting........

The January transfer window is well-known to be a chaotic period, with circumstance rather than planning being a key driver of activity.

The general perception is that a good window can turn performance around; we can all think of examples of teams that spent significantly on new players, and saw an improvement in results. The bigger picture, however, shows that the relationship between spending and success is weak at best. There are plenty of teams who ostensibly strengthened their squad, but ended up doing worse after January – and vice versa.
janspend.png

If our club does need a boost in January, it is useful to know that brute force spending alone is unlikely to work, given it might only be worth one or two extra points if we follow historical trends. In order to outperform history, we have to think differently to the clubs that created it.

This can be hard given the need to execute quickly. However, tools like Acquisition enable immediate access to the most important information. Processes that are evidence-based and has everyone bought into can only help, too. History suggests there is little value for money in January – but maybe it’s because we haven’t got it quite right yet.

Yup the classic January horror story buy still has to be Asprilla bought when Newcastle thought he would provide an extra something in a push for the title. All went downhill for them after January with Asprilla in the side,

Teams thrive when the players have been together for some time and know each others game, and can make adjustments to their game to accommodate the newcomer. Of course there have been quite a few exceptions to that as well with players arriving to make an instant impact - Colin Lee's 4 goal debut in the 70's being another classic example,

But I suspect that Poch's initiation of Lucas Moura in the 2nd half of last season (although that may partly have been match fitness as Moura had played very little in the first half of the season) is what we might find from a January purchase, with the player being given enough playing time to find their feet at Spurs so might not make a huge impact on this season.

More a case of buying in advance for next season.

Yup the classic January horror story buy still has to be Asprilla bought when Newcastle thought he would provide an extra something in a push for the title. All went downhill for them after January with Asprilla in the side,

Teams thrive when the players have been together for some time and know each others game, and can make adjustments to their game to accommodate the newcomer. Of course there have been quite a few exceptions to that as well with players arriving to make an instant impact - Colin Lee's 4 goal debut in the 70's being another classic example,

But I suspect that Poch's initiation of Lucas Moura in the 2nd half of last season (although that may partly have been match fitness as Moura had played very little in the first half of the season) is what we might find from a January purchase, with the player being given enough playing time to find their feet at Spurs so might not make a huge impact on this season.

More a case of buying in advance for next season.
I have to confess that Asprilla was a guilty pleasure.

Llorente will work in games like the Chelsea game. We have the lead in that game, and don't to go all out. Getting the ball up to Llorente and having Lucas and Dele work off him would be good.

It's the league games which are a worry, as every one of them is a level playing field. I don't know who we will sign, and whether we will at all, but it needs to be someone match fit and ready.

Part of me thinks Spurs have money, and it's there to be spent. Whether the idea is to save it for the summer and make a couple of big signings to open the stadium with (I think Levy knew along the stadium would have delays) but we won't attract those signings if we aren't in the top 4. We need to act now.

In fairness mate, at the gym watching a re-run of the Chelsea and Newcastle game.

Rondon was very good against Luiz and Rudiger. He would be ideal in the return leg as will Moura if fit.

Rondon has the power and pace to ruffle and move. We have to hope Moura is back for that game. I would definitely see his pace as vital alongside Llorente.

You don't like Newcastle ?
Not fussed by them either way TBH. But that Keegan side was a joy to watch. The only game I really enjoyed when we played them was stuffing them 5-0 under Redknapp, probably his best victory (Inter was also good but there is always a doubt about them being on the decline). When they go down I don't bat an eyelid, par for the course.

If we assume Dembélé and Wanyama are gone/done we need 2 DMs.

Docoure is surely attainable? PL proven, should be able to get him for 35-45M

Not fussed by them either way TBH. But that Keegan side was a joy to watch. The only game I really enjoyed when we played them was stuffing them 5-0 under Redknapp, probably his best victory (Inter was also good but there is always a doubt about them being on the decline). When they go down I don't bat an eyelid, par for the course.

I was at that game. Incredible atmosphere after all of the England rumours. That was when we peaked under Redknapp. It all fell apart soon afterwards.

Ade’s best game for us too.

Back
Top Bottom