January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd absolutely love to see us go balls out for Timo Werner in this window, he's someone that Poch has openly admired for quite some time already (and therefore meaning that it's not necessarily a 'panic buy')...

Annnnnnnnnnd then... suddenly, I remember that Levy is the man in control.

Fuck, Llorente will have to do!!!

:pochshock:

No point in signing a striker to play when Kane doesn’t. Kane always plays. He’s played more games in 2018 than any other premiership player. He always plays or Poch never rotates. Either one means no playing time for a new striker.

Also, people wanting Divok Origi? Jesus suffering Christ.

Origi looked a real find. Again it's about seeing potential and giving it a chance.

I could see him adding value but you know, if not him somebody mate.

Our model is reckless in my opinion when it comes to Kane.

I'd absolutely love to see us go balls out for Timo Werner in this window, he's someone that Poch has openly admired for quite some time already (and therefore meaning that it's not necessarily a 'panic buy')...

We're supposedly tracking...
Werner
De Jong
De Ligt
Andersen
Bowen
Diawara
NDombele
+ 2 or 600 more

Do you think this is why we didn't sign anyone in the summer? Levy pulled out his laptop, got out Google maps and hundreds of dots were running about, all our "tracked" players that he had forgotten to label. Confusion hits "Shit who are they" followed by "Fuck that, get me Jack Grealish for a tenner, any cheaper and you can keep the change..."

Nah, I don’t see us going after a player from a team with Leipzig’s backing.

In other news. Your username conjures up an image of a small man sweating profusely through double denim.

Origi looked a real find. Again it's about seeing potential and giving it a chance.

I could see him adding value but you know, if not him somebody mate.

Our model is reckless in my opinion when it comes to Kane.
Agree that we are reckless when it comes to Kane, but it can’t be easy to rest the best striker in the world. I think we’ve all wanted Llorente to get more of a chance to get him up to speed, but imagine we lose the game that happens in?
Whoever we sign won’t play instead of Harry. Just not happening.
The only thing I can possibly see, except for a youngster of potential, is an out and out number nine with Harry dropping back, as he seems to be doing this anyway.

With Dier hopefully back soon I propose Sissoko converted into our main striker
You're joking, right?

If not, on the basis of what? Because it surely isn't his composure in front of goal, close ball control or shooting accuracy

giphy.gif

James Burford @JamesBurf

Good news for @SpursOfficial fans. I've just spoken to Mauricio Pochettino, and @MoussaSissoko's injury is not too serious - a small problem with a muscle near the groin. (1/2) #thfc

James Burford @JamesBurf

Poch said they will assess him, and that the Fulham game may come just a bit too soon. But he's expected to be involved thereafter. (2/2) #thfc

Burford is a BBC correspondent

I guess the absolute need for a new CM goes down with Dier, Winks Skipp available for Fulham and Sissoko joining up for the following match, and Spurs usually only playing 2 CM's per match.

However CM is still probably the weakest area of the squad in terms of quality until Winks and Skipp have more experience.

Ironically someone like Grealish wouldn't be a bad call in terms of ability to cover both AM and CM. Just a question of whether a much better player is available to play as CM (and not forgetting we already have a full quota of overseas trained players)

Llorente will work in games like the Chelsea game. We have the lead in that game, and don't to go all out. Getting the ball up to Llorente and having Lucas and Dele work off him would be good.

It's the league games which are a worry, as every one of them is a level playing field. I don't know who we will sign, and whether we will at all, but it needs to be someone match fit and ready.

Part of me thinks Spurs have money, and it's there to be spent. Whether the idea is to save it for the summer and make a couple of big signings to open the stadium with (I think Levy knew along the stadium would have delays) but we won't attract those signings if we aren't in the top 4. We need to act now.

Quite Interesting........

The January transfer window is well-known to be a chaotic period, with circumstance rather than planning being a key driver of activity.

The general perception is that a good window can turn performance around; we can all think of examples of teams that spent significantly on new players, and saw an improvement in results. The bigger picture, however, shows that the relationship between spending and success is weak at best. There are plenty of teams who ostensibly strengthened their squad, but ended up doing worse after January – and vice versa.
janspend.png

If our club does need a boost in January, it is useful to know that brute force spending alone is unlikely to work, given it might only be worth one or two extra points if we follow historical trends. In order to outperform history, we have to think differently to the clubs that created it.

This can be hard given the need to execute quickly. However, tools like Acquisition enable immediate access to the most important information. Processes that are evidence-based and has everyone bought into can only help, too. History suggests there is little value for money in January – but maybe it’s because we haven’t got it quite right yet.

Quite Interesting........

The January transfer window is well-known to be a chaotic period, with circumstance rather than planning being a key driver of activity.

The general perception is that a good window can turn performance around; we can all think of examples of teams that spent significantly on new players, and saw an improvement in results. The bigger picture, however, shows that the relationship between spending and success is weak at best. There are plenty of teams who ostensibly strengthened their squad, but ended up doing worse after January – and vice versa.
janspend.png

If our club does need a boost in January, it is useful to know that brute force spending alone is unlikely to work, given it might only be worth one or two extra points if we follow historical trends. In order to outperform history, we have to think differently to the clubs that created it.

This can be hard given the need to execute quickly. However, tools like Acquisition enable immediate access to the most important information. Processes that are evidence-based and has everyone bought into can only help, too. History suggests there is little value for money in January – but maybe it’s because we haven’t got it quite right yet.

Too complicated.

On the plus side, the diagram looks a little bit like a vag.

Back
Top Bottom