January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really rate Seri but I don't think he's as good as Dembele is. And a player like Dembele actually is key in our playstyle against a lot of opponents, just look at the game against Everton. Toughts of Dembele leaving makes me a bit sad to be fair. Winks is very good but a totaly other player who cant make the same inpact against defensive teams I think. If Gomes gets his form back he could be the player we need but that's a big if. I cant think of someone else who can replace Dembele long term altough I heard good things about Oakley-Boothe.
He plays differently with Dembele though. This guy loves to lob the ball forward and has eyes for a pass. Not saying he is better than Dembele, not even saying he will come good.
But he has certain traits if possible to impose to our game, gives us something different and probably new dimension to our plays.

Anyone else think Adrien Rabiot of PSG could be a good signing for us? Young CM (he's only 22) with Champions League experience who can defend and distribute. Sort of a less graceful Dembele, with maybe even better passing and shooting. He's not on crazy wages (€60,000 I think) and his contract expires 2019. It seems like he hasn't made too many starts for them this season, so they might not miss him. We could offer them Sissoko as part of the deal - I think the French rate him more than we do. I think he would do great in the Prem with his physique and that he doesn't mind to get stuck in.

Last edited:
Anyone else think Adrien Rabiot of PSG could be a good signing for us? Young CM (he's only 22) with Champions League experience who can defend and distribute. Sort of a less graceful Dembele, with maybe even better passing and shooting. He's not on crazy wages (€60,000 I think) and his contract expires 2019. It seems like he hasn't made too many starts for them this season, so they might not miss him. We could offer them Sissoko as part of the deal - I think the French rate him more than we do. I think he would do great in the Prem with his physique and that he doesn't mind to get stuck in.

If we want to add Sissoko to the deal, they'd probably want more money than if we didn't offer him. While the French may rate him higher than the British, he's nowhere near good enough for PSG to even remotely want him.

Curious to see if we are waiting for Sissoko to move out before we sign someone. Let’s say we get 25m for him. Which of the players linked to us would be a realistic signing in that price range?

ArcspacE ArcspacE likes Rabiot!

I doubt he would get a work visa because of it.

I don't see it being an issue for the work visa at all. He's likely a full international, he'll likely make good money and he'll likely pay all of his taxes. What he does with his left over money after taxes is nothing to do with the government, so long as he doesn't break the law.

I don't see it being an issue for the work visa at all. He's likely a full international, he'll likely make good money and he'll likely pay all of his taxes. What he does with his left over money after taxes is nothing to do with the government, so long as he doesn't break the law.
But that is my issue though - his government forces him along with thousands of other North Korean citizens that work overseas to give up most of their wages to back into their pockets to build missiles whilst millions of the people starve.

Curious to see if we are waiting for Sissoko to move out before we sign someone. Let’s say we get 25m for him. Which of the players linked to us would be a realistic signing in that price range?

Andre Gomes
Lucas Moura

Depends if we are willing to add say another £15m on top. Then that opens up a lot more.

I'd take Lucas if we sold Sissoko.

I can see Aurier being quite down if Sissoko left but I know he and Lucas are good friends so it'd soften the blow and we'd be improving the team.

I don’t watch much of PSG but after watching his highlight videos Lucas seems like a great fit with Poch. The thing that impressed me the most was his movement without the ball. He is always making superb runs and has great vision with his passes. A lot of one touch passes followed by him making a fun for a return pass. Him and Son on the wings would be fun.

I'd take Lucas if we sold Sissoko.

I can see Aurier being quite down if Sissoko left but I know he and Lucas are good friends so it'd soften the blow and we'd be improving the team.
Aurier seems the social sort so I don't think he would be lonely. And getting Lucas in as you said would soften the blow.

Mate Rabiot is first choice most of the time at PSG, he's made 16 starts this season, don't think he's a realistic target for us. Agree he's a quality player though.

Back
Top Bottom