Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I seem to remember when Jan first came to Spurs that he frequently stormed through and looked really dangerous. It then all stopped presumably on instructions. However good Jan was playing LB yesterday, if he played regularly other teams would compensate for it and also it is more demanding and he is not young. It is great having him and toby at the back whether in a 4 or 3.

I seem to remember when Jan first came to Spurs that he frequently stormed through and looked really dangerous. It then all stopped presumably on instructions. However good Jan was playing LB yesterday, if he played regularly other teams would compensate for it and also it is more demanding and he is not young. It is great having him and toby at the back whether in a 4 or 3.

Daaaaaaamn! ......Just how long have you been celebrating?

Game was Wednesday.... It's Saturday afternoon.:dembelelol:

Jan's the best defender I can remember at the club for some time. I don't remember much from the 80s and further back but if I was going to make an all time best XI based on what I've seen for my own eyes at Spurs Jan makes the team sheet.

I agree, those marauding runs through the middle wer a shot to behold. It caused instant havoc to the opposition, it's one of the few things we don't see much of these days that really puts teams in that awkward no mans land that a run down the swing simply can't. Sissoko does similar when he bursts through spontaneously but I did love when Jan did it, sheer class

Vertonghen proved that pace means fuck all to be a threatening wing back.

So I don't want to hear bollocks about Ben Davies or Trippier being too slow to actually be our starting wing backs (whether they are good enough or not is a different conversation, but pace isn't an issue)

Vertonghen showed how important wing backs are to our system. He got forward at the right times, defended brilliantly, put in dangerous balls (and not just AIMLESS cross after cross hoping one would stick) and actually got in the box from crosses at the back post (which our wing backs USED to do a lot in Pochs first few seasons). Though being blessed by incredible technique and footballing ability helps him obviously, he's one of the best footballers at the club.

Well played Jan and well deserved CL player of the week.

His position is the biggest asset. I can't remember seeing a player play for Spurs with better positioning. Normally we get to see that from a defensive perspective of course and it nullifies opposition attacks every game. But in attack his positioning caused dilemmas for the whole right hand side of Dortmund's team, and you can see with the goal how perfect he set himself, ahead of the defender and behind the CBs so they couldn't track him, onside, timed to perfection. Such fun to watch.

I'm still astounded by this amazing performance !

Dz6kDFIWwAAY16d.png

I know he's a top class centre-back but imagine the kind of career he could have had if he was committed to that LB position. So strong & classy all at the same time. Not many with his frame glide like he does. Proper footballer

Amazingly he started playing in Ajax first team as a CM and it was Martin Jol (then Ajax manager) who converted him to be a ball playing CM after a season or two - whilst Belgium who had a glut of CB's but no good FB's who started playing him as LB.

So a master of multiple positions - a 'proper footballer' as you say

Back
Top Bottom