Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vertonghen proved that pace means fuck all to be a threatening wing back.

So I don't want to hear bollocks about Ben Davies or Trippier being too slow to actually be our starting wing backs (whether they are good enough or not is a different conversation, but pace isn't an issue)

Vertonghen showed how important wing backs are to our system. He got forward at the right times, defended brilliantly, put in dangerous balls (and not just AIMLESS cross after cross hoping one would stick) and actually got in the box from crosses at the back post (which our wing backs USED to do a lot in Pochs first few seasons). Though being blessed by incredible technique and footballing ability helps him obviously, he's one of the best footballers at the club.

Well played Jan and well deserved CL player of the week.

Vertonghen proved that pace means fuck all to be a threatening wing back.

So I don't want to hear bollocks about Ben Davies or Trippier being too slow to actually be our starting wing backs (whether they are good enough or not is a different conversation, but pace isn't an issue)

Vertonghen showed how important wing backs are to our system. He got forward at the right times, defended brilliantly, put in dangerous balls (and not just AIMLESS cross after cross hoping one would stick) and actually got in the box from crosses at the back post (which our wing backs USED to do a lot in Pochs first few seasons). Though being blessed by incredible technique and footballing ability helps him obviously, he's one of the best footballers at the club.

Well played Jan and well deserved CL player of the week.
I agree with most of that Totts but I would say pace is important for that position, not however to enable a player to attack but I think it's important to track an oppo winger (that has pace) but even that is second to fitness/athleticism that enables a player in that position to run all game. Rose has the ability to just wear out his opposite number (Walker would do the same too).

Having said that I recall the World Cup semi-final against France, Jan had Mbappe in his back pock the whole game, he can play against pace. I was really pissed off with the pundits rimming Mbappe the whole tournament and in that game, he was completely anonymous because of Vertonghen.

But ultimately a technically gifted player will always play well in any position that they are asked to play because they are simply good at football.

The thing about pace at the full back position is that it helps paper over the cracks. You don't need it to succeed at the position, but it's something that really helps when you are asked to both attack and defend like they are for quality sides. Just look at Walker: shit technique, but faster than almost anyone.

I agree with most of that Totts but I would say pace is important for that position, not however to enable a player to attack but I think it's important to track an oppo winger (that has pace) but even that is second to fitness/athleticism that enables a player in that position to run all game. Rose has the ability to just wear out his opposite number (Walker would do the same too).

Having said that I recall the World Cup semi-final against France, Jan had Mbappe in his back pock the whole game, he can play against pace. I was really pissed off with the pundits rimming Mbappe the whole tournament and in that game, he was completely anonymous because of Vertonghen.

But ultimately a technically gifted player will always play well in any position that they are asked to play because they are simply good at football.

I think there was a moment within the opening 10 minutes of that Semi Final where Mbappe tore Vertonghen apart a bit like in the first half against Dortmund where early on Sancho got away from him but it's as if Vertonghen feels them out first and then just controls them. Because Mbappe and Sancho both never got a sniff after that.

An absolute master of defending.

I think there was a moment within the opening 10 minutes of that Semi Final where Mbappe tore Vertonghen apart a bit like in the first half against Dortmund where early on Sancho got away from him but it's as if Vertonghen feels them out first and then just controls them. Because Mbappe and Sancho both never got a sniff after that.

You’ve changed your tune in 12 days!

It just proves that he isn't our best centre back, contrary to what some people on here would have you believe. You don't shove your best centre back out wide when you still HAVE a left back available. (Rose and a certain extent KWP)

Not once have we shoved Alderweireld to right back when we've had right backs available.

I felt at the time this was an old school Totti message and left it, Vertonghen a master the one guy Poch can really rely on in any circumstance, he put him there because he knows he is the don

You are still most improved player this season Totts, loving the positivity and acumen these days

Yeah, heard that too....also heard Barry Glendenning say that our team is about to be dismantled and Pochettino will be gone come the end of the season...
I turned it off, all of them were fucking clueless, had no idea about tactics and Barry offered up opinions with nothing to back them up, these fuckers earn a living doing this too, unbelievable

You’ve changed your tune in 12 days!

I felt at the time this was an old school Totti message and left it, Vertonghen a master the one guy Poch can really rely on in any circumstance, he put him there because he knows he is the don

You are still most improved player this season Totts, loving the positivity and acumen these days

To be fair, my thoughts are the same.

Alderweireld is a better centre back than Vertonghen in my opinion and whilst Alderweireld has played right back for Belgium, Atletico, Southampton and Ajax. If we were down to no right backs, I still don't think Poch would play Alderweireld there. Not because

That comment wasn't saying I wouldn't want to see Vertonghen at left back, because after Wednesday I'd love to see more of it, it was more a statement of you don't play your best centre back out of position (in the sense that Vertonghen ISNT our best centre back and is a lot more dispensable than Toby in that regard)

Love Vertonghen regardless. One of my absolute favourite footballers and well on his way to being a Spurs legend. I hope he's here until he retires.

Last edited:
To be fair, my thoughts are the same.

Alderweireld is a better centre back than Vertonghen in my opinion and whilst Alderweireld has played right back for Belgium, Atletico, Southampton and Ajax. If we were down to no right backs, I still don't think Poch would play Alderweireld there.

That comment wasn't saying I wouldn't want to see Vertonghen at left back, because after Wednesday I'd love to see more of it, it was more a statement of you don't play your best centre back out of position (in the sense that Vertonghen ISNT our best centre back and is a lot more dispensable than Toby)

It is like picking between 2 amazing deserts on a sweet trolley, both amazing, with Jan I don't know what it is, the fact he has the bigger personality, has always shown loyalty, has some cute dirty tactics and was there more in the shite era is why I put him ahead if I had to pick on to play for my life, we are so so lucky to have both. I always have a penchant for the "older brother" captain like character.

Was great seeing them both on the same side of pitch this week shutting down Dortmund's main threat. Jan was picked at wing back probably because he can really bolster the area from 50-100 whereas we had all the other CBs as cover

I am going to need to rewatch the game but at the time I felt that the problems we were having in the first half were mainly (not exclusively) because Alderwierled was man marking Sancho, I don't recall us ever doing this, I may be wrong with that but genuinely can't recall our back 4 or 3 man marking a player, we tend to be well drilled line, defend spaces not the individual (we've man marked in other areas in midfield eg Dele on Jorginho). Anyway, I felt because of this Toby was pulled out of defence on numerous occasions, which created holes which weren't filled/covered by Winks/Sissoko/whoever.

Yes, Vertonghen wrapped up Sancho in 2nd half as a result of attacking them, which meant Sancho (and his teammates) were more concerned with defending than attacking us.

I am going to need to rewatch the game but at the time I felt that the problems we were having in the first half were mainly (not exclusively) because Alderwierled was man marking Sancho, I don't recall us ever doing this, I may be wrong with that but genuinely can't recall our back 4 or 3 man marking a player, we tend to be well drilled line, defend spaces not the individual (we've man marked in other areas in midfield eg Dele on Jorginho). Anyway, I felt because of this Toby was pulled out of defence on numerous occasions, which created holes which weren't filled/covered by Winks/Sissoko/whoever.

Yes, Vertonghen wrapped up Sancho in 2nd half as a result of attacking them, which meant Sancho (and his teammates) were more concerned with defending than attacking us.
The way I saw it was that Toby was covering the space Jan left. Second half Jan looked a completely different player and closed down a lot more, for the few moments he wasn't running at their defence and torturing them with his unique skillset

Looks like we are getting a new dog soon, my Mrs has been playing around with names it was going to be called Mousa but seeing as he's moved on there are a couple of doubts, next on the list is Jan or Verts. (Our other dog is called Zizou).

Surely, BERT ?

That last part of your comment reflects what Son said, he could even play striker. He wouldn't be the best at it, but he would not get shamed either. The variety of skills he has physically, technically and mentally (dark arts master) make him suitable for every position, just not on a premier league level on every one of them.

He played in midfield quite a lot at Ajax too, both DM as CM

The way I saw it was that Toby was covering the space Jan left. Second half Jan looked a completely different player and closed down a lot more, for the few moments he wasn't running at their defence and torturing them with his unique skillset
Not disagreeing with that, as I said need to rewatch but that period between 10-30min mark Toby was taken deep into their half more than once, at the time I was stunned to see it, maybe because of this I've exaggerated the cause.

At least we have a little break to catch our breath and I'm certainly going to use this time to go over a few games again, on the list is the Barca game which I still haven't found the time to rewatch.

Back
Top Bottom