Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Zizou in my eyes was the most complete footballer both with and without the ball (Ronaldinho the best I've watched on the ball) and more close to home Mousa is one of the best footballers I've watched, he's the reason we pay money to watch football.
Brazilian Ronaldo and Zizou are the best ones I ve ever seen play live.

That last part of your comment reflects what Son said, he could even play striker. He wouldn't be the best at it, but he would not get shamed either. The variety of skills he has physically, technically and mentally (dark arts master) make him suitable for every position, just not on a premier league level on every one of them.

He played in midfield quite a lot at Ajax too, both DM as CM
I love him, always have. One of our most important signings in the past decade.

He is, without doubt, our master shithouser, he gets away with so much. Every single ball that goes out he claims, every foul (for or against) he claims, he will dive, feign injury do what he needs to do to gain an advantage. Almost every action is followed with this face :vertna:

I really am not having that Toby Alderweireld is better than Jan Vertonghen.

Toby is phenomenal but Jan has been quietly the best all-round defender in the world for a while now.

Looks like we are getting a new dog soon, my Mrs has been playing around with names it was going to be called Mousa but seeing as he's moved on there are a couple of doubts, next on the list is Jan or Verts. (Our other dog is called Zizou).
My two dogs are called Harry and Teddy

It's funny I had forgotten how good Ronaldo was until I was shown some clips, fuck me he was unplayable when he was at Inter, I think that was when he was at his peak, but like I said I don't know why but I seem to have missed/forgotten a far chunk of his career.
It's between him and Messi.

giphy.gif

I love him, always have. One of our most important signings in the past decade.

He is, without doubt, our master shithouser, he gets away with so much. Every single ball that goes out he claims, every foul (for or against) he claims, he will dive, feign injury do what he needs to do to gain an advantage. Almost every action is followed with this face :vertna:

He's definitely a wind up. The look in his eye and the little smirk when he wheeled away and scored you could see he was loving it.

Also the video he filmed when the Spurs Twitter account rolls out goal scorers, you can see it on his face it's just one big piss take:

Fucking love Jan!

It's funny I had forgotten how good Ronaldo was until I was shown some clips, fuck me he was unplayable when he was at Inter, I think that was when he was at his peak, but like I said I don't know why but I seem to have missed/forgotten a far chunk of his career.

Youngest Ballon d'Or winner.
Only player to break the transfer record in successive seasons.
47 goals in 49 games for Barcelona at the age of 20.

Won't see another like him.

In fact, since the 96/97 season, here are a list of players who have scored 47 goals or more in all competitions in a single season in Europes top 5 leagues:

Lionel Messi x6
Cristiano Ronaldo x6
Luis Suarez x1

So in 20+ years, only THREE players have equalled or bettered Ronaldos goalscoring record, which he managed at 20 years old.

El Fenomeno,

I am going to need to rewatch the game but at the time I felt that the problems we were having in the first half were mainly (not exclusively) because Alderwierled was man marking Sancho, I don't recall us ever doing this, I may be wrong with that but genuinely can't recall our back 4 or 3 man marking a player, we tend to be well drilled line, defend spaces not the individual (we've man marked in other areas in midfield eg Dele on Jorginho). Anyway, I felt because of this Toby was pulled out of defence on numerous occasions, which created holes which weren't filled/covered by Winks/Sissoko/whoever.

Yes, Vertonghen wrapped up Sancho in 2nd half as a result of attacking them, which meant Sancho (and his teammates) were more concerned with defending than attacking us.

Much of the 1st half commentary on my stream seemed to focus on Toby coming over to cover for Jan to sort Sancho out (resulting in said gaps)....

Hard to tell tho' whether Jan was positionally poor or as you suggest it was in fact Toby tasked with monitoring Sancho (with a view of ensuring Jan still got involved in our attack rather than instinctively regressing into a LB role)...

I'll ask Poch when we hook up next... :ap:

Toby is phenomenal but Jan has been quietly the best all-round defender in the world for a while now.

I guess the factor with Toby is ball-spraying ability.

Who's the best? 1st world problems IMO.....

:vert:

Jan is the better ballcarrier and more mobile and versatile player. Toby is the better tackler and better player of the ball. But they're both great at what the other one is world-class elite at. And they have a great understanding between one another, which makes them more than the sum of their already illustrious parts.

Sanchez is a ridiculous athlete and a tough-minded character, and Foyth shows immense promise. But we should still do everything we can to keep our Belgian duo together.

Brazilian Ronaldo was just great to watch. Unbelievably good.

As World stars go he would be in the top 5 for me.

Back
Top Bottom