Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our club needs to sort itself out with this sort of thing. If we couldn't tell how bad it was from pitch side then fine but no one in the medical team looked at the replay to see how bad the impact was? It's no good just judging the bleeding nose and asking the player. As soon as you see the impact on the screen you know it was too hard an impact to risk him playing on. It's just not ok medically.

The ref saw it live, didn't need the video and knew. He seemed to have a go at Poch who I thought was right to be annoyed because he said, I took the advice of the medical team. That's who's job it is to make the safe call in these circumstances, even if it's the fucking final. There needs to be an appropriate policy in place before a ball is even kicked so you just follow the policy and don't get tempted to take unacceptable risks with player's lives.

I'm guessing he will be out for the second leg.
I agree completely with everything you have said. There was a similar situation with Hugo last season, player welfare is paramount. With no temporary subs allowed teams are unfairly disadvantaged in this and other medical situations and there is pressure (whether explicitly or implicitly) to get the player back on the pitch. A blood sub would allow an injured player get stitches and have the head injury assessed without time pressure. Jan is my POTY and hopefully his next match is in Madrid on the 1st of June.

A lot of armchair doctors, especially in the media talking about this being critical of medical staff.

What we do know is he has been PASSED ALL concussion tests this evening. There are others that will follow, so let us see what those show.

Here is another example off odd reporting:

He DIDN'T display these issues until it was decided to TAKE HIM OFF.

A lot of armchair doctors, especially in the media talking about this being critical of medical staff.

What we do know is he has been PASSED ALL concussion tests this evening. There are others that will follow, so let us see what those show.

Here is another example off odd reporting:

He DIDN'T display these issues until it was decided to TAKE HIM OFF.

Mate come on FFS did you see him on the touchline waiting to come back on? The guy was green ffs. No matter what way it's dressed up it was negligence letting him anywhere near the pitch.

HE PASSED ALL THE TESTS!!!

I think he felt groggy, nothing more. The tests during and after the game were focused on concussion which he seems to have passed. He said he could continue, then quickly realised he couldn't. The fact that the noise coming out of the club after the game confirm he didn't have concussion makes me feel reassured there was no negligence, just the club taking Jans word for it that he felt better than he actually did

I think he felt groggy, nothing more. The tests during and after the game were focused on concussion which he seems to have passed. He said he could continue, then quickly realised he couldn't. The fact that the noise coming out of the club after the game confirm he didn't have concussion makes me feel reassured there was no negligence, just the club taking Jans word for it that he felt better than he actually did
I don't know what all the tests are, both on the field and post-game, but I'm aware that concussion is also not a straight forward thing to assess, in that you could appear fine but then suffer symptoms days after. But what is currently clear is that he (for the time being) isn't concussed.

He was clearly not right to continue and he was substituted as a result of him not being right. So what the fuck is all the hoo ha?

I don't know what all the tests are, both on the field and post-game, but I'm aware that concussion is also not a straight forward thing to assess, in that you could appear fine but then suffer symptoms days after. But what is currently clear is that he (for the time being) isn't concussed.

He was clearly not right to continue and he was substituted as a result of him not being right. So what the fuck is all the hoo ha?

Agreed. He said he was fine, he then said he wasn't within 3 seconds of doing so. No harm was done and ultimately the players know how they feel the most so a little responsibility needs to be with them as well. Jan tried but he knew it was the wrong call, no more harm was done to him if he had been taken off in the first place.

HE PASSED ALL THE TESTS!!!
So you think he was in a position to answer all the questions that would be required to be answered to "pass the test"? There's absolutely no way all our medical staff were 100% satisfied he was alright to continue. When that's the case in relation to a head injury he should not be allowed to go back on.

Agreed. He said he was fine, he then said he wasn't within 3 seconds of doing so. No harm was done and ultimately the players know how they feel the most so a little responsibility needs to be with them as well. Jan tried but he knew it was the wrong call, no more harm was done to him if he had been taken off in the first place.
Not when they are concussed (and I'm not saying he was). Obviously concussion symptoms vary, but athletes have talked about being concussed, finishing a game, and not remembering the game. I think when it comes to suspicion of concussions, you have to take "i'm okay" with a grain of salt and rely on the other tests. You can't leave any part of the decision up to the player, because most will say they are fine and try to play.

He came off immediately, so it ended as well as we could hope (that is, without Jan suffering further injury). I hope we eventually see a grace period where a team can make a temporary substitution to give the physios enough time to properly evaluate the player.

So you think he was in a position to answer all the questions that would be required to be answered to "pass the test"? There's absolutely no way all our medical staff were 100% satisfied he was alright to continue. When that's the case in relation to a head injury he should not be allowed to go back on.
I don't even know if he's asked any questions as part of the assessment, I know absolutely NOTHING about what the doctors do to assess if a player has a concussion (do you?).

What I do know is this:
1. He took a bang to his nose. Which is broken.
2. He was assessed by the medical team for a concussion
3. He was allowed to play on, so I assume they were happy with the assessments
4. He then came off, clearly not in a position to continue
5. He has PASSED all post-match concussion tests and is free to go home unaided (which backs up their initial on pitch assessments)
6. He will undergo more tests tomorrow
7. He was substituted. He didn't play on.

I don't even know if he's asked any questions as part of the assessment, I know absolutely NOTHING about what the doctors do to assess if a player has a concussion (do you?).

What I do know is this:
1. He took a bang to his nose. Which is broken.
2. He was assessed by the medical team for a concussion
3. He was allowed to play on, so I assume they were happy with the assessments
4. He then came off, clearly not in a position to continue
5. He has PASSED all post-match concussion tests and is free to go home unaided (which backs up their initial on pitch assessments)
6. He will undergo more tests tomorrow
7. He was substituted. He didn't play on.

Yep.

By the letter protocol was correct ( as above post 3066 )..
Did you look sick as f...k ? Yes.
Hope he's ok, but to look for blame here is a stretch. He was allowed and WANTED to continue. It then reached a point where he knew he couldn't as did the staff.

Get better Jan...

I find it weird that everyone is assuming that any symptoms are down to concussion, rather than because of the loss of blood. Every time I've had a significant amount of blood taken I've had a delayed feeling of nausea and feel like I'm going to collapse. It looked exactly like that

Not when they are concussed (and I'm not saying he was). Obviously concussion symptoms vary, but athletes have talked about being concussed, finishing a game, and not remembering the game. I think when it comes to suspicion of concussions, you have to take "i'm okay" with a grain of salt and rely on the other tests. You can't leave any part of the decision up to the player, because most will say they are fine and try to play.

He came off immediately, so it ended as well as we could hope (that is, without Jan suffering further injury). I hope we eventually see a grace period where a team can make a temporary substitution to give the physios enough time to properly evaluate the player.
It would be the same as if someone who was paryletic 'decided' they were fine to drive home...
They're neither in the physical, nor mental condition to make that call!
Anything Jan said about feeling ok at the time should have been disregarded.

I find it weird that everyone is assuming that any symptoms are down to concussion, rather than because of the loss of blood. Every time I've had a significant amount of blood taken I've had a delayed feeling of nausea and feel like I'm going to collapse. It looked exactly like that

I get a paper cut and I look like that - I get all light headed and think I'm gonna hurl. I'm such a pussy with blood loss! I think if I broke my nose like that I'd be a mess for a while too.

One of my brothers hates the sight of blood, he once had a nasty cut and actually fainted after a few minutes, dunno if it was down to the blood loss or because he's a big ninny...

Back
Top Bottom