Individual regression

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks will be an excellent deep lying playmaker.

But he needs a destroyer next to him or behind him. Simple as that.
I hope Winks will be an excellent deep lying playmaker.
BUT we have so many of those "nearly" and we have to realize for one reason or another it aint happening and ask why?! Examples are plenty: Mason, Huddlestone, Onoma, afro messy, CCV, Carrol... so many ... can't remember the names.
No I haven't forgotten Hary Kane.

I hope Winks will be an excellent deep lying playmaker.
BUT we have so many of those "nearly" and we have to realize for one reason or another it aint happening and ask why?! Examples are plenty: Mason, Huddlestone, Onoma, afro messy, Carrol... so many ... can't remember the names.
No I haven't forgotten Hary Kane.

To be fair, Winks has been entirely developed by Pochettino, whereas none of the others were. Has the right attitude shown improvement to his game year on year and is still young. Some have questioned Edwards' attitude and there are loads of rumours surrounding Onomah and the reason he hasn't pushed on for us.

Even if he doesn't become an excellent one, he's saved us a fair bit of money by providing us with good depth in his position. I wouldn't be against buying a player who can similarly do his job to provide him with competition (but also able to play with him), like Lobotka from Celta Vigo (Who may actually get relegated this season too)

Bit early for this thread no?

If your going to judge the performance of a player as a whole at least wait until the end of the season.

(Unless of course they've been shockingly bad/good)

What so you mean if someone is crap for 30 games, and plays well for the last 8, theyve had a good season

I think the diamond is there for two reasons. 1) to get Harry and son up top and 2)bulk up the lightweight midfield.

Full backs aren't good enough and neither are the misfimid options. Before when out front players weren't firing dembele walker and rose would steady the ship and use pure power to get us through.

Now we have Sissoko who is great but his nowhere near as good on the ball as dembele and the full backs aren't anywhere near what they were a couple of years ago . Add that to sheer tiredness and a stale feel about the squad and this bad run feels a billion times worse.

In a 4231 dembele would hold the ball up and get us going. Winks can sort of do that but with wanyama losing all form and dier going from injury to injury we imo can't play Sissoko in there as he would struggle with the ball retention and isn't a pure destroyer or holder like wanyama or dier. Hence why I don't think Poch is going with the two .

I'd actually like to see us play Sissoko at right wing back and hopefully winks and a fit again dier behind eriksen or dele.

Cos so far it's proved to be shit.

Weren't you hell-bent on 433 last summer?

I'm sorry, I just don't see the wisdom in clinging to a system that has yet to show an up-side?

I could understand it if we had 2 strikers that we are desperate to play together (a la Suarez/Sturridge), but we're seemingly all the more blunt in this shitty system nor do we seem to have a numerical advantage in attack.

Yes, buts it's clear despite having the more suited players for it, Poch isn't going to play it. So pointless banging that drum.

The diamond formation is fine but it only works when it has the right players for it. Which we don't have.

I'd be happy with a variation of either with players who are able to switch between the two mid game.

4231 is done though. We will barely play that ever again.

First of all Diawara and Berge are not coming. Berge is reasonable but there's no indication he's ready to play top level football as a starter for us next year and Diawara would be like 50m. And I don't even think Diawara, Winks and Berge could all play together, just a really bad fit.

But with a diamond you not only need extremely good wing backs to provide width, it's also really easy to counter which is why teams only use it when they play vs narrow 433 formations.

The diamond can be used really well as we've seen with Liverpool and sometimes us and Man Utd, but it can not be relied upon every game across a whole season.

£50,000,000 for a player who can barely get a start for Napoli and has been told he can leave for £35,000,000?

Have a day off.

Some really needs to tell Pochettino this.

But he must know this...

Because he's played quite a variation of tactics this season. 3412, 352, 541, 4321, 4141.

He doesn't know which one to stick with because he hasn't really had the personnel to play any successfully due to injuries.

But he must know this...

Because he's played quite a variation of tactics this season. 3412, 352, 541, 4321, 4141.

He doesn't know which one to stick with because he hasn't really had the personnel to play any successfully due to injuries.

Other than bringing in Kane for Moura did Pochettino really have to change the team against Burnley?

Too much tinkering this season when unneeded for me. Surely you must reward good performances, be they individual or team.

It's not necessarily a case of players not developing further. Its more a case some of the players are good squad players but not world class and going to push from contenders to winners. Not every player can develop into something world class.

I don’t think we need world class players to beat Burnley and Southampton. We just need our good players to play properly. To beat Liverpool and City of course, our Brighton-level central midfield will probably not be enough.

More than football manager style different formations and fancy names what I think we really lack is a couple of real down to earth winners.

We were fine but have fell apart in recent weeks so I'd suggest it's more mental than anything.

I think Poch even suggested it when he said maybe we need to try things a different way.

Back
Top Bottom