Individual regression

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why not?

New DM
New CM - Winks
Dele
Is a perfectly fine diamond. You'd have someone who can screen a defence, take the ball under pressure, turn and move it forward (Berge) and you'd have the runner next to Winks who would be the runner in the midfield (Diawara) whilst Dele is at the tip creating shit.
First of all Diawara and Berge are not coming. Berge is reasonable but there's no indication he's ready to play top level football as a starter for us next year and Diawara would be like 50m. And I don't even think Diawara, Winks and Berge could all play together, just a really bad fit.

But with a diamond you not only need extremely good wing backs to provide width, it's also really easy to counter which is why teams only use it when they play vs narrow 433 formations.

The diamond can be used really well as we've seen with Liverpool and sometimes us and Man Utd, but it can not be relied upon every game across a whole season.

First of all Diawara and Berge are not coming. Berge is reasonable but there's no indication he's ready to play top level football as a starter for us next year and Diawara would be like 50m. And I don't even think Diawara, Winks and Berge could all play together, just a really bad fit.

But with a diamond you not only need extremely good wing backs to provide width, it's also really easy to counter which is why teams only use it when they play vs narrow 433 formations.

The diamond can be used really well as we've seen with Liverpool and sometimes us and Man Utd, but it can not be relied upon every game across a whole season.

£50,000,000 for a player who can barely get a start for Napoli and has been told he can leave for £35,000,000?

Have a day off.

Some really needs to tell Pochettino this.

But he must know this...

Because he's played quite a variation of tactics this season. 3412, 352, 541, 4321, 4141.

He doesn't know which one to stick with because he hasn't really had the personnel to play any successfully due to injuries.

But he must know this...

Because he's played quite a variation of tactics this season. 3412, 352, 541, 4321, 4141.

He doesn't know which one to stick with because he hasn't really had the personnel to play any successfully due to injuries.

Other than bringing in Kane for Moura did Pochettino really have to change the team against Burnley?

Too much tinkering this season when unneeded for me. Surely you must reward good performances, be they individual or team.

Other than bringing in Kane for Moura did Pochettino really have to change the team against Burnley?

Too much tinkering this season when unneeded for me. Surely you must reward good performances, be they individual or team.

Probably not.

And if we lost without Kane, he'd have been blasted for not starting Kane if he was fit enough.

We have bigger issues than rushing Kane back. Like having a totally inadequate midfield and a defence that has barely played two games in a row all season.

It's not necessarily a case of players not developing further. Its more a case some of the players are good squad players but not world class and going to push from contenders to winners. Not every player can develop into something world class.

But he must know this...

I reckon he must have played some version of a diamond about 20 times (league) though. Whoscored doesn't always call their formations correctly. There's been times when they've called it a 4231 and it's definitely been the diamond. And there's also been a handful of games as well where he's played a 3412, which is also pretty shit, especially if Moura's one of the 2.

What never ceases to baffle and irritate me, is why amongst all his tactical formats he won't ever just start an orthodox 433. We have the players to suit that better than anything I think, Son, Moura, Lamela (even Sissoko) would all be better as wide forwards than CF's or AM's (or CM's in Sissoko's case), Kane already plays like a 9/false 9 hybrid and he could have Eriksen, Alli, Winks, Skipp, Onomah, hubbing off a central holder (Winks, Wanyama, Skipp, Marsh, Amos or god forbid Dier) we could go back to being a real proactive football team, instead of this confused, narrow, midfield free, lottery, semi-long ball shite.

It's not necessarily a case of players not developing further. Its more a case some of the players are good squad players but not world class and going to push from contenders to winners. Not every player can develop into something world class.

I don’t think we need world class players to beat Burnley and Southampton. We just need our good players to play properly. To beat Liverpool and City of course, our Brighton-level central midfield will probably not be enough.

Although Sissoko is a relative success story, he is still not better than a previous top form Dembele or Dier at White Hart Lane. Also, yes, there is the fact I was watching Juventus Atletico the other night and had to pinch myself we were actually deservedly in the quarter finals of the Champions League again.

So, a mixture of things. When Poch took over, he had a squad of fresh young talent willing to learn. We sold our best RB and CM, hit a glass ceiling, and generally didn't improve individually.

More than football manager style different formations and fancy names what I think we really lack is a couple of real down to earth winners.

We were fine but have fell apart in recent weeks so I'd suggest it's more mental than anything.

I think Poch even suggested it when he said maybe we need to try things a different way.

Back
Top Bottom