How you felt when our managers were sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was sacked because Levy got a hard on for the “next level” and hired AVB
Sorry mate, I think you got that wrong. My opinion, I think he was sacked for not showing respect to a club that backed him through a legal case, and basically offering his services to the FA the same week. (As I recall, Capello quit the same week he was aquitted)

Only put 3 in that were actually sacked which made me angry at the sacking at the time, the rest probably had a sacking coming their way and were no great surprises.
Added Neill and Burks as the only other managers who left that gave me a real spike emotion.

Terry Neill - Maybe the Pochettino of his time, fucking traitor in the end, angry.

Burks - Shocked.

Peter Shreeves - Supposed to be our Joe Fagan to Keith Burkinshaws Bob Paisley, disappointed should have been given more time.

David Pleat - Angry, at both parties.

Harry Redknapp - First time in my life I questioned what this club really stood for.

Jol - sad
Ramos - sad but relieved
Arry - was for the best, he was a dinosaur
AVB - happy the clown was sacked
Tactic Tim - see AVB

Poch - felt dead inside, my passion in football has never been the same. I would have kept him even if he finished 17th. That's how much I loved him.
I can’t believe I just clicked Agree on a Mindblown post.

It really is true that anything could happen in life!

I dont think he failed( although he certainly took his eye off the ball). But the club had just (rightly) supported him through the court case, and deserved the same in return.
Not joking about taking another job in pressers. Not (by his own word) looking at Brendan Rodgers and deciding that he would make him assistant in the England job. During a match.
The man who got it publicly denied any interest, and yet privately must have been discussing it with the FA. It wouldn't have been hard for Redknapp to say (in Public) "Sorry lads, the club backed me to the hilt during the recent trial, and I owe them the same. I'm not prepared to discuss another job"

I've never believed for a second he was sacked because we didnt get champions league.
Anyone that does, it's up to them.
Harry will always look after number one. He was mouthing off to the media about his uncertain future at Spurs the day levys mum had passed on. His team was always set for the here and now, no long term planning. That said under his management we played some of the best football I have ever seen at WHL.

Was glad to see the back of most, especially graham, sherwood, gross, Francis and santini.

I was gutted about Jol, under him WHL was rocking again and his dismissal was handled appallingly by the club, he deserved better.

Was also sad about Poch, from his appointment every season we seemed to be taking steps forward, then it all just fell apart following us spanking Everton at their place, his comments were bewildering and confusing especially around the champions league final. Real shame but I think the club made the right desicion

He was sacked because Levy got a hard on for the “next level” and hired AVB

Harry got himself sacked, it was not Levy's fault. If I acted at my job the same way he did the last couple of months of his appointment, I'd be fired, and I'd deserve that. I loved Harry and what he did for the club (my favorite Spurs manager in my lifetime), but when it came down to his sacking, I literally cried, but was left with no one to blame but Redknapp. It stung even more when AVB was hired, because I couldn't stand the guy.

Harry got himself sacked, it was not Levy's fault. If I acted at my job the same way he did the last couple of months of his appointment, I'd be fired, and I'd deserve that. I loved Harry and what he did for the club (my favorite Spurs manager in my lifetime), but when it came down to his sacking, I literally cried, but was left with no one to blame but Redknapp. It stung even more when AVB was hired, because I couldn't stand the guy.

AVB was a punt from Levy who had a rough deal from the Chavs

You're looking at it all as one thing, sacking Poch and hiring Mourinho. They're two totally independent factors.

I think even the most optimistic of fans knows Mourinho has at best , 3 years in him.

That's got nothing to do with the absolute need to remove Pochettino from him role in November. If we had stuck with him, we would have been in a relegation fight. He had either lost the dressing room, or just stopped giving a fuck. He wanted out and he wanted the sack. No manager resigns when there is millions on the table for being sacked.

That issue with compensation needs to end. Clubs need to factor this into contracts whereby if unless there is a maintenance of form, there shall be no compensation for sackings. In no other profession can some one actively stop performing their duties and walk away with huge compensation. It's just ridiculous.

He will go to United. He will either be a success as they will certainly back him, or he'll repeat the same errors he did at Spurs. He will be there 5 years or so and then leave.
That is football now and has been football for 20 years with the exception of Fergie and Wenger.

I can't see it as totally independent. Levy lined it up and was talking to Jose for 3/4 weeks before whilst Poch was in charge, we know that. He had a choice to stick or twist and chose the later. Sacking Poch to bring in Pleat or Sherwood for 9 months wasn't an option.

I don't believe the league position we were left in was that bad considering we'd done City and Liverpool away. Remember the mid table was very tight, a win at lunchtime got you from bottom half to 5th. And we were basically through in the Champions League. If Poch was still here we wouldn't be in a relegation fight; hard to know if we are immediately better off given recent results.

Terry Venables was a hard one, after his 'consortium' sold him down the river ie Alan the apprentice wants to shag that spammer slapper Sugar

Still haven't got over sacking Jol. For me, that's when Spurs became a thoroughly enjoyable team to watch, around the time streaming every game became possible.

Every other manager before and after I haven't felt emotionally moved by their departure.

They had to get rid of him.He was a crook,and could have got the club into very serious trouble.
I liked the man as a bloke and manager,but he should never be left in charge of money.
Not sure that would ever have been the case as at the time our club was floating on the stock exchange. Another first for the spurs : )

It was because of him that the club didn't collapse after what's his face ran us into the ground. Sure, his financial input wasn't to the extent of Mr amstrad but how he was ran out of the club was such a shame as we were shaping up nicely at the time.

Only put 3 in that were actually sacked which made me angry at the sacking at the time, the rest probably had a sacking coming their way and were no great surprises.
Added Neill and Burks as the only other managers who left that gave me a real spike emotion.

Terry Neill - Maybe the Pochettino of his time, fucking traitor in the end, angry.

Burks - Shocked.

Peter Shreeves - Supposed to be our Joe Fagan to Keith Burkinshaws Bob Paisley, disappointed should have been given more time.

David Pleat - Angry, at both parties.

Harry Redknapp - First time in my life I questioned what this club really stood for.

You must be a fair bit older than me to be going back to Terry Neill (I was born in 81) so you'll have to correct me if this is wrong.... Wasn't he a former Gooner, who was batshit mental and went and managed the gooners after he left Spurs?
I heard that from Chivers mouth during a stadium tour.

I can't see it as totally independent. Levy lined it up and was talking to Jose for 3/4 weeks before whilst Poch was in charge, we know that. He had a choice to stick or twist and chose the later. Sacking Poch to bring in Pleat or Sherwood for 9 months wasn't an option.

I don't believe the league position we were left in was that bad considering we'd done City and Liverpool away. Remember the mid table was very tight, a win at lunchtime got you from bottom half to 5th. And we were basically through in the Champions League. If Poch was still here we wouldn't be in a relegation fight; hard to know if we are immediately better off given recent results.

I don't see it that Levy sacked Poch in order to appoint Mourinho as the sort of "upgrade" you may be thinking of. He is astute enough to know an interim manager for the rest of the season is bad, that there is a world class (if fragile) manager there, with no compo required ready to take over. Poch wanted out, you cannot in any way shape or form get around that fact. he and Levy and the players had all run their course together.
Blame whoever you want for that, it doesn't matter. Levy knew the change had to be made and he acted in the best interests of the club by having a safe pair of hands ready to catch the fallout.
Mourinho was 2019's Harry Redknapp to some degree.

My mind was made up that Poch needed to go or we were in a relegation fight

However I was very sad when it actually happened

His last match against Sheffield Utd was such a pathetic note to end on

Trying to conduct your pay negotiations in the red banner gutterpress did him no favours, particularly after the tragi-comedy trial. Not surprised he was sacked. Shame because he obviously had a great rapport with the players and some of the football he had us playing was a joy to watch.

As for Poch, try to imagine yourself in your job, trying to improve the work environment, facilities, the tools and skills for your job whilst being ignored constantly by your manager to upgrade all of ther things you need to make a success of what you do . After a while - you'd be pissed off at the lack of support, irrespective of the fact that you worked in a shiny building with lovely facilities. It's hardly any wonder that he lost motivation. He couldn't have made his feelings any more plain. If man U get him we are going to watch them be everything that we hoped he would make us become.

AVB has proved to be as useless as we all knew he was, as has Ramos, and to be fair - Jol has hardly gone on and set football alight with his managerial genius. He was however a great character and a fans manager.

I don't see it that Levy sacked Poch in order to appoint Mourinho as the sort of "upgrade" you may be thinking of. He is astute enough to know an interim manager for the rest of the season is bad, that there is a world class (if fragile) manager there, with no compo required ready to take over. Poch wanted out, you cannot in any way shape or form get around that fact. he and Levy and the players had all run their course together.
Blame whoever you want for that, it doesn't matter. Levy knew the change had to be made and he acted in the best interests of the club by having a safe pair of hands ready to catch the fallout.
Mourinho was 2019's Harry Redknapp to some degree.

A lot of parallels. And both detestable dated characters in my mind. Neither has "saved the club from relegation". Mourinho is here to win a trophy this season or next. If that doesn't happen it will be viewed as a massive failure in my opinion. And the rebuild will be messy and require a long term manager. We've seen the problems United and Woolwich have had finding someone after long term managers. Poch never took domestic cups seriously (a stain on his character for me), Mourinho has to but we all know winning the FA Cup isn't a gimme; even full strength. This might be Levys last roll of the dice. Otherwise; I hope he is seriously thinking NOW about who he wants to manage this club long term.

Back
Top Bottom