How you felt when our managers were sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Pretty straightforward question.

I started supporting Spurs in 1990 and it wasn’t until Jol that I felt bad about a manager being sacked. I felt it was inevitable as we had imploded and Berbatov was causing all sorts of trouble, but I just loved the guy.

Harry was a strange one. I really wanted him to go, but felt sad when it was announced. I think I was just sad about how it all ended. Never really forgave him for his ‘this is as good as it gets’ comment, but we were fun to watch back then.

AVB getting the sack was just a sense of relief. I liked him for a while, but by god the football we played under him was awful. I sort of looked at him as an underdog that I was rooting for.

Pochettino is possibly too soon to really reflect on. I loved him and was fully behind his approach, but his comments before the CL final really fucked me off, and after that he just seemed to be increasingly prickly. We ended up as bad as the AVB team he took over.

I started supporting Spurs in 1990 and it wasn’t until Jol that I felt bad about a manager being sacked. I felt it was inevitable as we had imploded and Berbatov was causing all sorts of trouble, but I just loved the guy.

Harry was a strange one. I really wanted him to go, but felt sad when it was announced. I think I was just sad about how it all ended. Never really forgave him for his ‘this is as good as it gets’ comment, but we were fun to watch back then.

AVB getting the sack was just a sense of relief. I liked him for a while, but by god the football we played under him was awful. I sort of looked at him as an underdog that I was rooting for.

Pochettino is possibly too soon to really reflect on. I loved him and was fully behind his approach, but his comments before the CL final really fucked me off, and after that he just seemed to be increasingly prickly. We ended up as bad as the AVB team he took over.

But you haven’t mentioned :sherwoodwtf:

Sad for most but equally felt it was the right time for each and every one of them for different reasons. Jol deserved far better, how it was done mid game was extremely shoddy I really wasn't a fan of that.

Poch the hardest. I fucking loved the guy but I look back on his last season with us and it's like reflecting on a girl you adored but in hindsight she acted like a massive bell end. My heart wanted him to stay so much but the black and white of rationale and logic when looking at all things considered left us with no other choice.

Redknapp I was glad to see go. He fucked around with his bread and butter of the job and I absolutely felt we needed to show we had a spine. Levy has got a few things wrong but the sacking of certain managers I think he's got it right on most occasions timing wise. Poch will always be a heartbreaking moment for me, I think the club will take a little time to find a new spirit after that, it almost made us look a little empty and probably made Jose's honeymoon period feel far less bouncy than it usually would with a world class name coming in.

Felt indifferent with all the manager sackings, even Pochettino. Was a thousand times more upset when our best players left (Berbatov, Keane, Modric, van der Vaart, Bale) and some other personal favorites

Juande Ramos was the only one I didn't think was a huge overreaction and a mistake (not counting Sherwood, who never was really the permanent manager, regardless of what his contract may have said)

Jol - sad and almost embarrassed

Ramos - delighted

Harry - shaking my head at the utter lunacy of Levy and our fans

AVB - partied like its 99

Tim - whatever

Poch - relieved

Ramos - relieved

Harry - it was a somewhat bitter sweet feeling

AVB - like having sex with 3 women in the same time

Sherwood - indifferent

Poch - a bit too early to say, but I consider the right decision was made

Sorry, I haven't got time to actually count the managers that have gone since the great Bill Nick, let alone articulate how I felt about it!
For the record, the way we got rid of Martin Jol was especially disgraceful.

Jol and Poch

ImperfectTightClingfish-size_restricted.gif

the rest (last 15 years) meh

Jol - gutted

Ramos - relieved

Harry - gutted but understood

AVB - wanted him to succeed but it was obvious he wasn't going to

Poch - gutted but there was no choice. He appeared disinterested and had lost his Mojo.

Big question for me is whether our results/points/league position under Jose so far would have been any different if Poch was still here. I fear there'd only be a couple of points in it.

Jol = Liked him but felt it was the right decision (especially considering it was common knowledge Ramos would be replacing him). So sad for Jol but excited about the next appointment.

Ramos = Relieved

Harry = Sad but understood why. Still wanted him to stay though.

AVB = Delighted that fraud was sacked.

Sherwood = Thought he was unfairly criticised but didn't really care that he didn't get the permanent Job.

Poch = Really sad but thought it was the right call at the end. Took me a while to get there though.

Usually relief that they're gone...Burkinshaw was fucking heart wrenching though...one of our greatest managers leaving just because he fell foul of a dick head of a chairman who thought he knew everything. Levy has nothing on Irving Scholar.

Jol - sad and almost embarrassed

Ramos - delighted

Harry - shaking my head at the utter lunacy of Levy and our fans

AVB - partied like its 99

Tim - whatever

Poch - relieved
Mainly disagree with you on Redknapp. Wouldn't have had a major problem if he stayed, but I thought the way he he behaved over the England job was out of order. Within 2 days of getting cleared over the tax trial, he was pointing his arse at the FA telling them he knew they fancied it. Had he done what Woy did(publicly denied any interest) he may have stayed in the job....and he has since admitted that he was thinking about who he wanted on his england staff during our matches.

The only one that's upset me in any major way was Jol, simply because the way the club went about its business was disgraceful

Last edited:
Mainly disagree with you on Redknapp. Wouldn't have had a major problem if he stayed, but I thought the way he he behaved over the England job was out of order. Within 2 days of getting cleared over the tax trial, he was pointing his arse at the FA telling them he knew they fancied it. Had he done what Woy did(publicly denied any interest) he may have stayed in the job....and he has since admitted that he was thinking about who he wanted on his england staff during our matches.
How did he behave?
He always said no English man could turn it down, it was hardly a betrayal.
He had half the fan base calling him a criminal and hoping he went to jail despite the courts finding him not guilty, he stayed and worked through that whole trial and people wondered why our form wavered.

Levy pandered to it all, and was too quick to try and go next level just two years after breaking the top 4 which was deemed impossible. With a manager who was only brought on to stave off relegation.

People can say what they want about the second time we came 4th, but funny how the rules changed just a year later making us the last team to be fucked by it. The failure that season was Barca and Bayern’s, not Redknapps.

The club tried to run before it could walk, and despite the early years under Poch, ten years later we are exactly where Redknapp had us, only this time we are playing shit football and have to start over with Jose.

Jol - sad
Ramos - sad but relieved
Arry - was for the best, he was a dinosaur
AVB - happy the clown was sacked
Tactic Tim - see AVB

Poch - felt dead inside, my passion in football has never been the same. I would have kept him even if he finished 17th. That's how much I loved him.

Joy at each one. They all deserved it.

Possibly the 2 that were somewhat unlucky were Redknapp and Jol. There are likely reasons we don't know on top of the ones we do that Levy pulled the trigger.

Has any manager ever been sacked from any club in a good state of health? Nope.

Edit - not including Real Madrid, Barcelona and their recent madness.

How did he behave?
He always said no English man could turn it down, it was hardly a betrayal.
He had half the fan base calling him a criminal and hoping he went to jail despite the courts finding him not guilty, he stayed and worked through that whole trial and people wondered why our form wavered.

Levy pandered to it all, and was too quick to try and go next level just two years after breaking the top 4 which was deemed impossible. With a manager who was only brought on to stave off relegation.

People can say what they want about the second time we came 4th, but funny how the rules changed just a year later making us the last team to be fucked by it. The failure that season was Barca and Bayern’s, not Redknapps.

The club tried to run before it could walk, and despite the early years under Poch, ten years later we are exactly where Redknapp had, only this time we are playing shit football and have to start over with Jose.
I dont think he failed( although he certainly took his eye off the ball). But the club had just (rightly) supported him through the court case, and deserved the same in return.
Not joking about taking another job in pressers. Not (by his own word) looking at Brendan Rodgers and deciding that he would make him assistant in the England job. During a match.
The man who got it publicly denied any interest, and yet privately must have been discussing it with the FA. It wouldn't have been hard for Redknapp to say (in Public) "Sorry lads, the club backed me to the hilt during the recent trial, and I owe them the same. I'm not prepared to discuss another job"

I've never believed for a second he was sacked because we didnt get champions league.
Anyone that does, it's up to them.

Back
Top Bottom