How you felt when our managers were sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought it was quite widely known Harry basically stopped doing his job as soon as the court case was won. Didn't turn up for training sessions and had deputies instead doing the job.

We were flying in the league and in a genuine position to get top 2 at one point. The form went down the toilet after the Newcastle thrashing. I remember all the fans singing "we want you to stay" that night.

Poch was the most difficult one for me, you looked at what he had given us, you wanted him to take that final step and win a trophy, he was a charming man you wanted managing your team instead of an utter prick like Klopp. But by the end he was losing it. Yes, he probably didn't get the support from the board he wanted, yes he was coming under pressure, but he simply didn't help himself.

This season alone, the Eriksen debacle pre-season, the feeling he had pre-planned an escape route, playing players he didn't want at the club etc.

Basically Poch undid his good work in a matter of months and left the team a shell of what they were, so there was no option, but for him to go. Sad, but inevitable.

Gutted when Jol went.
Relieved when Ramos went
Sherwood, wasn't bothered in the slightest
Harry , pissed off.
Poch, gutted, but felt it was inevitable.

However none come anywhere near the way i felt when the General left.
When KB went it affected my support for a couple of seasons.
We should have shown faith with that man. Whilst he wasn't actually sacked, it would be considered constructive dismissal in any other business.

EDIT
I think i had wiped the AVB era from my memory...

Last edited:
Jol I was fuming because of how it happened
Ramos delighted
Redknapp - felt was harsh
AVB ecstatic bigger cunt than Sherwood
Sherwood meh was never getting the job anyway
Poch distraught he was the Messiah and we will be a laughing stock when he goes on to greatness with a chairman that backs him
Mourinho liked him and loathed him in equal measure shame it never worked out.

Thought it was quite widely known Harry basically stopped doing his job as soon as the court case was won. Didn't turn up for training sessions and had deputies instead doing the job.
Any truth to that, like articles or quotes or is it a case of “it was so long ago I don’t need to be credible”

Francis - Can't really remember.

Gross - Same.

Graham - Excited at the prospect of Hoddle.

Hoddle - Relieved.

Santini - Perplexed.

Jol - Disappointed but a little relieved.

Ramos - Happy

Redknapp - Delighted, purely for non footballing reasons though. Didn't like his attitude, gave off the impression that there was no point in trying to be better than we were at the time, would have been a self fulfilling prophecy. Also felt like karma for whoring himself about for the England job.

AVB - Sad as he talked a decent game buy couldn't back it up, relieved as the hammerings were becoming too frequent.

Sherwood - Delighted, fucking relieved as thought Levy might have fallen for his spiel. Funnily enough despite no fucking clue about tictacs, he did actually manage to have us beating all the 'inferior' sides, even if we had less than zero chance of getting a point against the big 4. Also stuck to his words and did play the youth. Sigurdsson and Chadli in cm though, how fucking bonkers do you have to be to try that???

Poch - Little sad, little disappointed, really angry. Angry at Poch, for letting such a good side that we had slip to what we are now, for talking such a good game and banging on about bravery, then doing absolutely fuck all to back up those words, for not winning anything with the best team I've seen us have, for making half of our fans seemingly Poch fans as opposed to Spurs fans...

We have a weird history in my time, any time we think we've found the one, they move us up a level, but then can't seem to handle it there themselves, it always turns sour in the end.

I remember watching the match when Jol was sacked with a few mates who supported other clubs in Spain and thinking I am embarrassed by my club today, the way that was done was absolutely disgraceful and hurtful to a very nice man and good manager who got us going for a while. Took a long time to get back onside after that for me.

Redknapp, AVB,Ramos deserved it.
Tim should never have been in our dugout.
Poch it was time but had you asked me 6 months previous I would have been in tears.

I actually think Levy has done all he can in this dept over the last ten years or so. He brought in the likes of AVB, Ramos and co as they were big names who had won trophies, ironic maybe that the most successful three were steady the ship ordinary types in Jol, Harry and Poch.
Lets see how a winner works out now-be very US for him to win fuck all and finish 7th and 8th for a cupla seasons and get the boot!

Christian Gross!!
Another one i had erased from memory. The worst football i have seen us consistently play.
He was going to leave Mabbutt out of the side for what was the last game of the blokes retirement year.Sugar ordered him to play him.
Horrible git of a man.

Last edited:
Jol was disgraceful - I was at that game in the Park Lane (not too many others were) - it was before internet phones were solid and remember a few people hearing things and then it just being passed around. It's actually utterly mental how it happened, beyond toxic.

Most gutted was Pochettino - The error of this sacking might take years to recover from; time will tell what state Mourinho leaves us in next year.

Redknapp I think I went out on the piss to celebrate. Detested his attitude in the end. Should have been sacked sooner.

Any truth to that, like articles or quotes or is it a case of “it was so long ago I don’t need to be credible”

There's nothing in the mainline media I can find. I just read it various times from various blogs etc over the years.
Why else would a manager who got us 2 top 4 finishes in 3 seasons get sacked? Every other sacking saw us in seriously bad form in the lead up to it. The sacking came about just after Hodgson got the job as England manager too, leading me to suspect Levy thought he could get rid and get compo and not look like the bad guy for once.

Jol was disgraceful - I was at that game in the Park Lane (not too many others were) - it was before internet phones were solid and remember a few people hearing things and then it just being passed around. It's actually utterly mental how it happened, beyond toxic.

Most gutted was Pochettino - The error of this sacking might take years to recover from; time will tell what state Mourinho leaves us in next year.

Redknapp I think I went out on the piss to celebrate. Detested his attitude in the end. Should have been sacked sooner.

What error?
You think we should have kept him on?

Gutted when Jol went.
Relieved when Ramos went
Sherwood, wasn't bothered in the slightest
Harry , pissed off.
Poch, gutted, but felt it was inevitable.

However none come anywhere near the way i felt when the General left.
When KB went it affected my support for a couple of seasons.
We should have shown faith with that man. Whilst he wasn't actually sacked, it would be considered constructive dismissal in any other business.

EDIT
I think i had wiped the AVB era from my memory...

With AVB I just remember him standing on the touchline like a rabbit caught in the headlights not knowing what to do after we conceded

Loved KB

There's nothing in the mainline media I can find. I just read it various times from various blogs etc over the years.
Why else would a manager who got us 2 top 4 finishes in 3 seasons get sacked? Every other sacking saw us in seriously bad form in the lead up to it. The sacking came about just after Hodgson got the job as England manager too, leading me to suspect Levy thought he could get rid and get compo and not look like the bad guy for once.
He was sacked because Levy got a hard on for the “next level” and hired AVB

I've always supported the club not the personnel.

Players and managers come and go, there is very little loyalty anymore.

Those that think we did the dirty on Poch, he would have ended up doing the same to us if he had a mega offer, in fact I think he was/is still being groomed by Man Utd long term.

If I felt sorry for anyone it was Jol, as he was so just so likable and loved the club and the fans.

What error?
You think we should have kept him on?
Yes. In a years time, two tops, when Mourinho has gone utterly batshit and the team is playing with the form that got him the sack at Chelsea (11 points in first 12 games) or Man United (26 points in first 17 games), we'll be on the look for a manager just like Poch again IMO. Obviously we all hope that before that happens Mourinho will win us a cup but all of us know this isn't a long term appointment.

Yes. In a years time, two tops, when Mourinho has gone utterly batshit and the team is playing with the form that got him the sack at Chelsea (11 points in first 12 games) or Man United (26 points in first 17 games), we'll be on the look for a manager just like Poch again IMO. Obviously we all hope that before that happens Mourinho will win us a cup but all of us know this isn't a long term appointment.

You're looking at it all as one thing, sacking Poch and hiring Mourinho. They're two totally independent factors.

I think even the most optimistic of fans knows Mourinho has at best , 3 years in him.

That's got nothing to do with the absolute need to remove Pochettino from him role in November. If we had stuck with him, we would have been in a relegation fight. He had either lost the dressing room, or just stopped giving a fuck. He wanted out and he wanted the sack. No manager resigns when there is millions on the table for being sacked.

That issue with compensation needs to end. Clubs need to factor this into contracts whereby if unless there is a maintenance of form, there shall be no compensation for sackings. In no other profession can some one actively stop performing their duties and walk away with huge compensation. It's just ridiculous.

He will go to United. He will either be a success as they will certainly back him, or he'll repeat the same errors he did at Spurs. He will be there 5 years or so and then leave.
That is football now and has been football for 20 years with the exception of Fergie and Wenger.

Back
Top Bottom