How you felt when our managers were sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dr Rocktopus

🎃🦇🎃🦇🎃
Pretty straightforward question.

I started supporting Spurs in 1990 and it wasn’t until Jol that I felt bad about a manager being sacked. I felt it was inevitable as we had imploded and Berbatov was causing all sorts of trouble, but I just loved the guy.

Harry was a strange one. I really wanted him to go, but felt sad when it was announced. I think I was just sad about how it all ended. Never really forgave him for his ‘this is as good as it gets’ comment, but we were fun to watch back then.

AVB getting the sack was just a sense of relief. I liked him for a while, but by god the football we played under him was awful. I sort of looked at him as an underdog that I was rooting for.

Pochettino is possibly too soon to really reflect on. I loved him and was fully behind his approach, but his comments before the CL final really fucked me off, and after that he just seemed to be increasingly prickly. We ended up as bad as the AVB team he took over.

I started supporting Spurs in 1990 and it wasn’t until Jol that I felt bad about a manager being sacked. I felt it was inevitable as we had imploded and Berbatov was causing all sorts of trouble, but I just loved the guy.

Harry was a strange one. I really wanted him to go, but felt sad when it was announced. I think I was just sad about how it all ended. Never really forgave him for his ‘this is as good as it gets’ comment, but we were fun to watch back then.

AVB getting the sack was just a sense of relief. I liked him for a while, but by god the football we played under him was awful. I sort of looked at him as an underdog that I was rooting for.

Pochettino is possibly too soon to really reflect on. I loved him and was fully behind his approach, but his comments before the CL final really fucked me off, and after that he just seemed to be increasingly prickly. We ended up as bad as the AVB team he took over.

Sad for most but equally felt it was the right time for each and every one of them for different reasons. Jol deserved far better, how it was done mid game was extremely shoddy I really wasn't a fan of that.

Poch the hardest. I fucking loved the guy but I look back on his last season with us and it's like reflecting on a girl you adored but in hindsight she acted like a massive bell end. My heart wanted him to stay so much but the black and white of rationale and logic when looking at all things considered left us with no other choice.

Redknapp I was glad to see go. He fucked around with his bread and butter of the job and I absolutely felt we needed to show we had a spine. Levy has got a few things wrong but the sacking of certain managers I think he's got it right on most occasions timing wise. Poch will always be a heartbreaking moment for me, I think the club will take a little time to find a new spirit after that, it almost made us look a little empty and probably made Jose's honeymoon period feel far less bouncy than it usually would with a world class name coming in.

Sorry, I haven't got time to actually count the managers that have gone since the great Bill Nick, let alone articulate how I felt about it!
For the record, the way we got rid of Martin Jol was especially disgraceful.

Jol and Poch

ImperfectTightClingfish-size_restricted.gif

the rest (last 15 years) meh

Usually relief that they're gone...Burkinshaw was fucking heart wrenching though...one of our greatest managers leaving just because he fell foul of a dick head of a chairman who thought he knew everything. Levy has nothing on Irving Scholar.

'87 - 2004 since Shreeves and Venables was a morass of mediocrity. Except Ossie. Let's move on.

Briefly Pleat and Hoddle and BMJ was like the bit in the Matrix III when they go above the clouds for the first time ever but I'm pretty sure we were as functional as we were attractive. But I did like Big Martin though. Genuinely upset when he left.

Champagne Harry and eventually Poch.

Time has faded the rest away into not much - no harm, adieu and fare thee well - apart from that fucker AVB.

I thought AVB was an interesting character. Certainly more interesting than his style of football.

Just a random kid that lived in the same block as Bobby Robson, who pestered him into giving him a job in his coaching team without any experience in professional football. He was obsessive when it came to studying players from around the world, and had a big list of connections.

He just didn’t live in the real world. One of the funniest rumours was that he’d made an arrangement with Hulk to sign him for £40m...and then told Levy.

:avbpray:

:levywhoa:

:avbmad:

But you haven’t mentioned :sherwoodwtf:

Jol - sad
Ramos - sad but relieved
Arry - was for the best, he was a dinosaur
AVB - happy the clown was sacked
Tactic Tim - see AVB

Poch - felt dead inside, my passion in football has never been the same. I would have kept him even if he finished 17th. That's how much I loved him.

Thought it was quite widely known Harry basically stopped doing his job as soon as the court case was won. Didn't turn up for training sessions and had deputies instead doing the job.

We were flying in the league and in a genuine position to get top 2 at one point. The form went down the toilet after the Newcastle thrashing. I remember all the fans singing "we want you to stay" that night.

My mind was made up that Poch needed to go or we were in a relegation fight

However I was very sad when it actually happened

His last match against Sheffield Utd was such a pathetic note to end on

Harry got himself sacked, it was not Levy's fault. If I acted at my job the same way he did the last couple of months of his appointment, I'd be fired, and I'd deserve that. I loved Harry and what he did for the club (my favorite Spurs manager in my lifetime), but when it came down to his sacking, I literally cried, but was left with no one to blame but Redknapp. It stung even more when AVB was hired, because I couldn't stand the guy.
Trying to conduct your pay negotiations in the red banner gutterpress did him no favours, particularly after the tragi-comedy trial. Not surprised he was sacked. Shame because he obviously had a great rapport with the players and some of the football he had us playing was a joy to watch.

As for Poch, try to imagine yourself in your job, trying to improve the work environment, facilities, the tools and skills for your job whilst being ignored constantly by your manager to upgrade all of ther things you need to make a success of what you do . After a while - you'd be pissed off at the lack of support, irrespective of the fact that you worked in a shiny building with lovely facilities. It's hardly any wonder that he lost motivation. He couldn't have made his feelings any more plain. If man U get him we are going to watch them be everything that we hoped he would make us become.

AVB has proved to be as useless as we all knew he was, as has Ramos, and to be fair - Jol has hardly gone on and set football alight with his managerial genius. He was however a great character and a fans manager.

Jol - Sad, the club did it so badly.

Ramos - accepting.

Harry - bit down, was surprised more than anything. Pissed off more that we got dull AVB as his replacement, what a come down.

AVB - actually ok, his football killed my spirit.

Sherwood - indifferent, never hated him like some but didn’t warm either.

Poch - very sad, best manager of my lifetime and got us to a level we had never gotten before on a shoestring bit I think the lack of backing in the transfer market combined with Poch’s tough requirements on what became a team not physical able to play his style anymore doomed it.

No mention of Peter Shreeve(s).
Almost got us the League in his first season.
Erratic in his second one, but we were just starting to get our act together at the end of that campaign.
Perhaps deserving of a longer tenure.

Felt indifferent with all the manager sackings, even Pochettino. Was a thousand times more upset when our best players left (Berbatov, Keane, Modric, van der Vaart, Bale) and some other personal favorites

Back
Top Bottom