How to achieve 68 points?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This was always going to be the toughest game of the run-in.

Although we couldn't get the 3 points we wanted it was a fantastic game of football (it must have been great for neutrals), just a shame we couldn't nail it with the FK at the end.

Still, there is still everything to play for. Chelsea have now already gone past the 68 points limit, which is what to be expected of the team in 3rd position. In fact 73,35 points have been the average number of points in the 20-team PL.

The 4th team is Woolwich at the moment and they have 67 points with two potential banana skins left to avoid. Now the 4th team's average points have been 67,35 points where the highest points achieved were 76 points in 2007/08 and the lowest was 60 points, the same that Everton has after 36 games in 6th position.

We are 5th one point behind. The record number for a 5th placed team in the 20-team Premier League is 67 points when qualified for the CL and City was 5th in 2009/10. This record looks likely to be beaten now, although ourselves and/or Woolwich could still both lose both our games in theory.

Remaining fixtures in the race for 3rd and 4th place are:

Saturday 11.05
Villa - Chelsea

Sunday 12.05
Stoke - Spurs

Other relevant fixtures:
Sunderland - Southampton
QPR - Newcastle

Tuesday 14.05
Woolwich - Wigan

Sunday 19.05
Spurs - Sunderland
Chelsea - Everton
Newcastle - Woolwich

Villa to beat Chelsea is not impossible as Chelsea might begin for feel some strain. However, Chelsea look strong at the minute, so I guess that 2 points dropped might be the best we can hope for? If they get one point and we three point, they still need a win to be ahead of us on the last day vs Everton who won't be pushovers. But catching Chelsea looks like the long shot now - although we can revisit that after the weekend.

Sunderland meet Southampton on Sunday. A win would bring them up to 41 points, 6 points ahead of Wigan with two games to go. A win for the Black Cats would be preferred to put them in a slightly more of a Comfort zone. their goaldifference is superior to that of Wigan's. It would make them as good as safe ahead of Our last game and keep Soton in the relegation zone as one more team Wigan could possibly catch. It would increase the pressure that Wigan will be feeling on the Tuesday.

We also want Newcastle to lose vs QPR. Now, we have been let down badly by Harry's men,
there is a reason that they might go down. But if Andros and co could snatch a point if would be brilliant ahead of the Barcodes last fixture at home to the Scum and Wigan's fixture two days later.

Now, onto Woolwich, they are in a better situation just now, but it could be turned on it's head prior to their kickoff vs Wigan. It would be helpful if Sunderland keeps Southampton in the relegation fight and it would be helpful if Newcastle dropped points too. More importantly though - a win for us would put them under severe pressure again. Three points on Sunday and we would have a table with Spurs on 69p after 37 games and Woolwich on 67p after 36 games. Suddenly a draw in one of the remaining games is not enough for them and they would need to win both.

I can't see us qualifying with just a draw on Sunday though. It would put us level on points with Woolwich and they would need to win 1 of 2 games as they have a superior goal difference.

A win at the Britannia would turn up the heat. Still squeaky bum time then.

Game to game compared is on course to 69 points.

3. Chavs G36 P69
68 Points: Achieved.
Chavs need another 1 point from 2 games to get 70 points.
Chavs need another 3 Points from 2 games to get 72 points.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,917. Over a season: 72,846 points
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 68 points: -
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 70 points: 0,5
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 72 points: 1,5
Home game remaining: 1: Everton
Away game remaining: 1: Aston Villa

4. Scum G36 P67
Scum need another 1 point from 2 games to get 68 points.
Scum need another 3 points from 2 games to get 70 points.
Scum need another 5 points from 2 games to get 72 points. Only 4 or 6 points possible.
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,861. Over a season: 70,718 points
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 68 points: 0,50
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 70 points: 1,5
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 72 points: 2,5 points. Only 2,0 pr 3,0 possible
Home game remaining: 1: Wigan
Away game remaining: 1: Newcastle

5. Spurs G36 P66
Spurs need another 2 points from 2 games to get 68 points.
Spurs need another 4 points from 3 games to get 70 points.
Spurs need another 6 points from 3 games to get 72 points
P.p.g. so far this season: 1,833. Over a season: 69,654 points
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 68 points: 1,00
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 70 points: 2,00
P.p.g. needed remaining 2 games to get 72 points: 3,00
Home game remaining: 1: Sunderland
Away game remaining: 1: Stoke

----------------------------

Spurs PL seasons (36 games):
1. 2009/10: 67 points (70 points)
2. 2012/13: 66 points (? Points)
3. 2011/12: 65 points (69 points)
4. 2005/06: 62 points (65 points)

Points per games table:
3. Chavs 72,85 points
4. Woolwich 70,72 points
5. Spurs 69,54 Points

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

Don't care if Sunderland have anything to play for or not. Them not having Rose, Sessegnon, Gardner and Fletcher is much more important. The attacking trio there have 24 of Sunderland's 40 goals this season, 3/5.

Whatever the game means to both teams, we should be winning it.

So we can get 72 points and still miss out...fucking typical.

Replace can with will. Inevitability of shit things happening is something I've had to get to grips with following Spurs. I'm at the stage now when I just know something is going to happen.

Please fucking prove me wrong Wigan/Newcastle/Villa/Everton, please.

Replace can with will. Inevitability of shit things happening is something I've had to get to grips with following Spurs. I'm at the stage now when I just know something is going to happen.

Please fucking prove me wrong Wigan/Newcastle/Villa/Everton, please.

If you think back to the season we qualified for the first time for the CL.

Did you just know that we would lose to the likes of Woolwich, Chelsea and City.

We won all three!

think it's more important that wigan and newcastle have something to play for than sunderland. Can see wigan folding against woolwich and then newcastle being safe and on the beach for their last match.

I am going to laugh in all of your faces if we get 68 points and finish 5th.

and then I'm going to curl up in the corner and cry

I am going to laugh in all of your faces if we get 68 points and finish 5th.

and then I'm going to curl up in the corner and cry

Laugh in my face??

Yeah, because it's more important to me that we finish with 68 points than qualifying for the CL?! FFS, we all want to qualify for the Champions League!

This thread was made to monitor our quest for ending up in the top4. Could have called it 'The Race to the Champions League' like it's called on SpursOD, however I chose another headline based on what had been enough to beat 5th every single 20-team season in the PL so far.

68 points are irrelevant right now, two games before the end, but at the time it didn't look like it.

I don't fucking care about this thread if we fail to qualify. It's not a jinx, it's irrelevant, it's the internet.

Oh, regarding Mike Dean who will be the ref when Woolwich play Wigan next week.

His stat with Woolwich has been utter brilliant. Last 4 seasons:

P18 W1 D5 L12
:avbpray:

Oh, regarding Mike Dean who will be the ref when Woolwich play Wigan next week.

His stat with Woolwich has been utter brilliant. Last 4 seasons:

P18 W1 D5 L12
:avbpray:

The way he refereed the other night then I think its a given that Wigan will "concede" a soft penalty and have a man sent off.

Back
Top Bottom