How to achieve 68 points?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, when you look at some of the horrible results at home (0-1 to Fulham ffs :vdvcry:), we had the chance but didn't capitalise.

Maybe it'll be our year for the Europa League? :avbpray:

ppg? this isn't analysing fuel consumption on a car.

Due to the nature of when we play specific teams (even before considering their own state or probability of a win) the only time that stat will ever become valid is at the end of each season.

Until then it is a redundant and utterly meaningless figure and should be removed from common parlance until the end of the season frankly.

A 'fair target' is also disingenuous, it suggests that it would impossible to finish on 68 points and 5th, and yet mathematically that is fundamentally not the case.

These thread never start or end well, and pander to the notion of the sky sports indoctrinated 'one game' 'sky top 4' ethos. They also perpetuate the ideology that the champions league it is the only thing which fans care about, which is both disingenuous and morally vacuous.

I am sure you mean well, but time renders this academic.
*ahem* now may not be the time to say 'entirely predictable'. so I'll settle for a man up and lol biatches. this was back from march fyi.

There is not a single team who can't point to a hand full of dropped points.....so I'll join in...Liverpool away and Fulham home are the two that will haunt me. Threw it away at Anfield and were so abject against Fulham we never looked like winning that match.

Instead of looking at games where we "threw it away" why not look at games where we were saved by goal of the season contenders from one man, from where I'm sitting they papered over an awful lot of cracks which a lot of people seem to want to ignore whilst they bloke smoke up the managers arse.

There is not a single team who can't point to a hand full of dropped points.....so I'll join in...Liverpool away and Fulham home are the two that will haunt me. Threw it away at Anfield and were so abject against Fulham we never looked like winning that match.
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff Schoolboy'sOwnStuff already hinted at this, but AVB himself in the post-match interview talks about this:

1. Anfield, we were "unlucky"
2. Fulham home, we "didn't deserve to win" (that may not be a direct quote)

But for him, the dropped points that really mussed up the season was Everton. We went from three points to none in the blink of an eye, and it forced a reconsideration of the tactics for the rest of the season, which we saw. We got far better in the final minutes—lucky, even—and stopped bottling it, as we had several times in the season beforehand.

So who knows. If not for that defeat, we might not have picked up some of the dodgier later points (getting 85th minute + goals). But it's surely the case that if those two or three minutes of squeaky bum football had gone differently, there's a version of the story where we'd be in fourth.

As I said in a thread before the match - a win against Sunderland would give us 72 points and our highest ever total in the Premier League (which we managed in the end). There has been a lot of progression at this club in the last 10 years and I think we're in a great position to go and push forward again next season. We have the right manager at the club to steer us in that direction and we have been playing some great football. With or without Bale, I think we will do well next season. If we sell Bale then I think we have the right manager to invest that money back into the squad and make sure that it was like the departure of Modric, whereby we can get talent to come in (Dembele) who is more than capable of doing the job.

Onwards and upwards. I didn't really expect much more from today, considering that the others had to win as well. Overall, it has been a good season if it has been a bit of an anti-climax.

Next years thread will be called "How to achieve 73 points"

Or maybe not.

I take the blame for us not qualifying lads. Thanks to me the team wasn't bothered as soon as they knew they would get past 68 points.

Sorry.

This years' "How to Achieve 68 Points" thread, is last years' MIND THE GAP!

here's an idea... new thread: HOW TO ACHIEVE 68 PINTS! (in one game!!!!)

Tbh. thought where in this thread were we gloating? We didn't. Mind the Gap was always going to kick us in the nuts.

It's rather sensational to have achieved 72 points based on the Premier League history, but at least that shows progress. Not much to do with the fact that the bloody Gooners found title-winning form after the NLD!

Back
Top Bottom