Hopes for the 2023/24 season? šŸ¤”

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hopes for 2023/24?

• Total voters
Soooo.... hmm... I am really glad that this shitshow of a season is over. Not many bright spots to focus. But while thinking out loud, what strong side could we field next season? Well, I currently opted for 3CB system due to Porro-Udogie-Romero - I think all 3 play better in such formation -
And let's be realistic - time for Kane to move on and hopefully we could squeeze something out for Son as well. That would mean just 4 top quality players needed? Can that really be?

----------------New GK----------------
---Romero-New CB1-New CB2---
-Porro----------------------Udogie---
--------Bentancur--Bissouma------
--------------Kulusevski-------------
-------Richie----New FW----------
I don't think Kulusevski or Richarlison have shown enough quality or consistency for us to be able to rely on them for next season without Kane and Son. We can't afford to give them centre stage and hope they step up into the players we want them to be. That's how you get relegated. If they come good next season, great but we've got to have proven quality in the meantime.

IMO Kane will have to stay for the final year of his contract because there is too much else to do this summer to add finding a replacement for him to the list. If he leaves on a Bosman in 2024, we'll just have to take the hit but if we get everything right this summer we should be better placed to cope with the transition.

We have every reason to hope for a better goal return from Son next season. The fact that he wound up with 14 shows that he still has the ability.

There are a lot of Ifs with Bentancur's injury situation to get through before we know that we can count on him next season. Bissouma is getting better but he's still a long way from the player we signed from Brighton. Improvement is expected but not guaranteed. Skipp and Hojbjerg are still needed.

A new goalkeeper and at least one new centre-back are essential. I would be inclined to keep Dier and Davies as utility players. An attacking midfielder would also be desirable as Kulusevski is struggling to make the grade in that area.

Lloris and Perisic are surplus to requirements IMO.

Last edited:
Levy stops hanging around the training ground everyday and goes and works at Lillywhite House . He can spend the money he saved on the cheese room on a panic room for when Brenton has us on 2 points from 10 games

I don't think Kulusevski or Richarlison have shown enough quality or consistency for us to be able to rely on them for next season without Kane and Son. We can't afford to give them centre stage and hope they step up into the players we want them to be. That's how you get relegated. If they come good next season, great but we've got to have proven quality in the meantime.

IMO Kane will have to stay for the final year of his contract because there is too much else to do this summer to add finding a replacement for him to the list. If he leaves on a Bosman in 2024, we'll just have to take the hit but if we get everything right this summer we should be better placed to cope with the transition.

We have every reason to hope for a better goal return from Son next season. The fact that he wound up with 14 shows that he still has the ability.

There are a lot of Ifs with Bentancur's injury situation to get through before we know that we can count on him next season. Bissouma is getting better but he's still a long way from the player we signed from Brighton. Improvement is expected but not guaranteed. Skipp and Hojbjerg are still needed.

A new goalkeeper and at least one new centre-back are essential. I would be inclined to keep Dier and Davies as utility players. An attacking midfielder would also be desirable as Kulusevski is struggling to make the grade in that area.

A team with Kulusevski and Richarlison as two of the starting forwards is going nowhere fast.

Look, guys. I get what you are saying.

Kulusevski had shit 2nd half of the season. But in half a season from previous and first half of this one he was pretty good. In a team that included no progressive play from midfield and/or shitty output from wingbacks. We ain't gonna get 11 new players in + in this lineup I went for fewest possible additions to the squad. I personally would like us to get in Maddison on top of a quality attacker.

What regards Son and Kane, it is really the opposite what is said. We can either
- desperately cling on to the past for one more year
- guarantee that new manager is basically forced to play them and then come up with new solution year after that
- let them become worthless in monetary terms.
OR make this inevitable change with one go. Which lets new guy come up with new system with fresh players. And also takes some of the pressure off him in first season. Because we all know that until Kane and Son stay, "it's gonna be their last season where we can XX or YY". Enough of that. We squeezed all from them we could this season and it yielded 8th place.

This:

2-C328-A7-D-E446-40-EC-83-B6-ACED89377-D82.gif

I'll do my best.... Just don't over complicate the choreography or I'll forget the lot.

It's all well and good saying.....if we improve this and that we could get top 4. There is the small matter of the chavs and scouse to consider, who will also be improving this and that !! That's without considering toon.
See the Chavs still being a shit show tbh.
How will Newcastle cope with so many games?
Woolwich will turn sour after a few bad results as they won't match this year.

I'm going for a top four of:

City
Dippers
Us
Man Utd

Obviously that may change depending on our hires!

IMO Kane will have to stay for the final year of his contract because there is too much else to do this summer to add finding a replacement for him to the list.
Iā€™m as certain as I can be ā€” albeit not veryā€” that Harry doesnā€™t intend to stay and wind his contract down. That would mean that Levy would have had to held him against his will TWICE.
if thatā€™s the case then thatā€™s a really bad look for the club and will be reflected in how other players see the club and do business with us in future. It might be a Pyrrhic victory to keep him.

Iā€™m as certain as I can be ā€” albeit not veryā€” that Harry doesnā€™t intend to stay and wind his contract down. That would mean that Levy would have had to held him against his will TWICE.
if thatā€™s the case then thatā€™s a really bad look for the club and will be reflected in how other players see the club and do business with us in future. It might be a Pyrrhic victory to keep him.
I don't see how it's a bad look for us to expect a player to honour his contract. The decision to sell him or not is ours, not his.

Plus, I think it's to Kane's advantage to wait a year to see where Man United, Chelsea and Newcastle are at the end of next season. That way he'll be able to pick the one closest to a title challenge. At this stage, they're all a pig in a poke and he could make the wrong move and be no better off.

In the meantime, I'd like him to help us win a trophy.

I don't think we'll be able to make him leave, not with the opportunity to move on a free next summer and pocket a huge bonus for doing so, but the only way keeping Kane for next season benefits us is if doing so results in top 4.

I very much think a retooled squad can match 8th or better. Kane could generate Ā£65M+ even with just a year on his contract, so the only way we're better off is if it secures the CL revenue for 24/25.

I don't think even bringing Kane back gets us top 4, so we lose the money and the player in 24/25. I'd be trying to move him if he won't sign an extension after the manager is appointed, honestly. But, like I said, I doubt he moves with the chance to go on a free next year.

don't see how it's a bad look for us to expect a player to honour his contract. The decision to sell him or not is ours, not his.

Plus, I think it's to Kane's advantage to wait a year to see where Man United, Chelsea and Newcastle are at the end of next season.
Because itā€™s the unwritten law in football, that if a player outgrows your club, you let him move on. Maybe you hold them back for one transfer window. Itā€™s why. McAllister is leaving Brighton with years left on his contract (and possibly Calceido too). If we hold Harry back a second time, it sets an abhorrent precedent that other incoming players will note and maybe not sign for us. I know itā€™s not really fair with bilateral contracts not truly being binding in practice but thatā€™s football.

If United donā€™t get Harry this window, they wonā€™t wait for a year with Weghorst leading the line. Looking forward a year, united will have a center forward.(Oshimen?) as will city.(Haaland) and Newcastle (Isak). His options become more limited unless he goes to one of the scum teams, something Iā€™m sure heā€™s loathe to do. Of course, everything may change ā€”City might sell Haaland to Madrid.

there are many positives to see for the coming season
spence and udogie give us potentially a couple of fast, young and exciting options

the possibility of seeing bentancur and bissouma coupled with a creative player

eric dier returning to the form that got him into the world cup team
ally gold saying he played with an injury from just after the world cup. the club and dier elected against surgery, which he has now had.

dier was in great form, earning a place in southgate's squad, here's hoping he can get that form back come august

royal continuing his growth and pushing on to a higher level

our development players starting to show green shoots

kulusevski returning to his form on joining us

richarlison finding the form he shows for his country

fitting the yorkshire window cleaner into our starting eleven

there are obviously down sides to the coming season;
romero's commitment to tottenham

what to do with rodon, reguilon, winks, lo celso, ndombele

lloris' form

starting the summer break without a management team

the task of repairing our leaky defence

three months of sky pushing kane to yanited

our transfer policy

it will be a fascinating summer, which i am looking forward to watching how it all transpires

here's hoping we come out the other side of it with a direction, a youthful hunger and a sense of pride

football is about entertainment, something we've been starved of for such a long time

cheers to the 23/24! a season we return to that!

Hopes

For our ā€˜so calledā€™ World class training facilities to attract at least one manager with some sort of top flight pedigree. So far, every manager hired since its grand opening has either been far from world class or has walked away without any care. Contrary to what I was told by many of our fans this top class facility would be the turning point to fortunes with only the very best salivating over the prospect of working there. This hasnā€™t happened has it, in fact we are going backwards since it opened !!

Exciting possession based football, attacking teams and not sitting back, being able to quickly and effectively counter attack when needed, team needs 4 or 5 new young enthusiastic players with high technical ability.

If we have all that and we finish anywhere in the top 6 il be happy.

Back
Top Bottom