Home Attendances

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After seeing huge gaps in the crowd yesterday I was surprised to see the official attendance to be 61,093.

It appears that this season the club has been using the "tickets sold" rather than "through the turnstile" metric for recording attendances, presumably to avoid the embarrasing true figures becoming public.

Here are the 2021-22 and 2022-23 figures for comparison:

Most clubs do this. They claim it’s “easier” to count tickets sold plus season tickets.

But it’s almost certainly because they can charge more for sponsorship, etc.

They have to, by law, provide actual through the gates attendance figures to the Ground Safety Authority, but don’t have to publish these anywhere.

Most clubs do this. They claim it’s “easier” to count tickets sold plus season tickets.

They have to, by law, provide actual through the gates attendance figures to the Ground Safety Authority, but don’t have to publish these anywhere.
Yes most do, but I think Spurs didn’t and made a big deal about it while we were filling NWHL and other clubs (e.g. Woolwich) weren’t, despite obvious low attendances at claimed full stadiums.

It appears that times have changed.

Yes most do, but I think Spurs didn’t and made a big deal about it while we were filling NWHL and other clubs (e.g. Woolwich) weren’t, despite obvious low attendances at claimed full stadiums.

It appears that times have changed.
Pretty sure we used actual attendances at the old WHL, but used tickets sold at Wembley.

Makes sense we’d want to boast about attendances at the new ground when it’s full and take the higher ground. It was always fun to take the piss out of Woolwich and West Ham for being lying bastards. Not a big deal to be doing what we are doing, but does mean we lose that superiority over others a bit.

Does this mean that some current season ticket holders are not bothering to attend on a matchday, or sell their seat, despite having paid for it in advance?

This suggests that some people can not give their seats away.

Can Levy sustain the high ticket prices if he can't sell all his seats?

The man who exploited demand, through lack of supply, at the 36,000 ground, could slowly die on the hill of low demand and lots of empty seats.

I like that.

Mates yesterday had two together on the exchange for a week, south lower and couldn't flog them.
Demand is definitely declining. The way we are playing, we’ve not much to play for, people have less money. A combination of these I’d say.

Maybe it will lead to less season ticket sales and the club may have to stall ticket price rises for more than next season.

Only a small percentage of our money comes from ticket sales, but having loads of empty seats isn’t a good look.

Maybe Levy can take more of what Fortunate Düsseldorf are doing in giving away free tickets to three matches next season. They are covering the cost of this through sponsorship. Think it’s a wonderful idea.

Only three matches, but at 30,000 tickets per match, it’s a fair whack. I’d like to see us doing similar, but giving away a couple of thousand tickets each match to kids, the forces, emergency service workers, etc.

Does this mean that some current season ticket holders are not bothering to attend on a matchday, or sell their seat, despite having paid for it in advance?

This suggests that some people can not give their seats away.

Can Levy sustain the high ticket prices if he can't sell all his seats?

The man who exploited demand, through lack of supply, at the 36,000 ground, could slowly die on the hill of low demand and lots of empty seats.

I like that.
Yes, large numbers of season ticket holders that don't want to (or can't) attend some matches are stuck with them when they don't sell on the exchange.

Whereas they were easy to flog for the first couple of seasons after NWHL opened and we were doing well, they are now difficult to impossible to sell for some matches (e.g. Palace yesterday); I had my pair listed for a couple of weeks and gave up on Friday and decided to attend rather than waste them.

I suspect that a lot of the ST holders who have a season ticket even though they only want to go to the big matches were happy in the knowledge that the could easily flog them for the other matches may change their minds now and not renew; FWIW there were 9 empty sets in the 16 or so next to and in front of me yesterday and they are very good seats in rows 1 and 2 of the south end of the east upper. I rarely see the ST holders either side of me these days and the ones in front are never the same even though they are definitely season ticket seats.

Of course if we start doing well again under a new manager the fair weather supporters will return and it will all be hunky dory again.

Yeah. I'd like to see a rule that both sets of figures are published, but of course it won't happen.

Maybe Levy can take more of what Fortunate Düsseldorf are doing in giving away free tickets to three matches next season. They are covering the cost of this through sponsorship. Think it’s a wonderful idea.

Only three matches, but at 30,000 tickets per match, it’s a fair whack. I’d like to see us doing similar, but giving away a couple of thousand tickets each match to kids, the forces, emergency service workers, etc.
They may have to do it if we come 7th and qualify for the Conference League. I wouldn't pay more than £10 for a knockout match. Zero for the group games.

That way they'd at least get some F&B revenue from me. Otherwise it will be zilch.

Is it any surprise attendances are down? The football has been shit most of the season, we aren't playing for anything meaningful. And we are in a clear decline.

Nothing that can't be turned around if the club finally starts showing a bit of ambition in the summer though with the right signings and manager in place

We will never get near capacity if we become a mid table team again.
Yea, trouble is i think we've been a mid table team for a few years now, just one that happens to have our best ever striker. 6th, 7th, 4th, 7th or 8th this season is mid table really with the 4th spot being the anomaly. I think its the state of the football as well, bloody expensive day to watch a 7th placed team play boring football.

Back
Top Bottom