Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham forward Heung-Min Son has said he "felt physically empty" during the Asian Cup after South Korea suffered a shock quarter-final exit.

Despite being considered contenders to win the trophy, South Korea lost 1-0 to Qatar on Friday, leaving Son free to return to London.

With Harry Kane and Dele Alli out injured until March, Son's early return is a huge boost for Mauricio Pochettino, but his latest comments will be of concern to the Spurs manager.

"I wasn't fully prepared," revealed Son, who played three matches in the United Arab Emirates after arriving before South Korea's final group-stage game with China.

"I felt physically empty. I feel so sorry to have let down my team-mates, coaches and the fans.

"I would rather not speak about it really but I haven't felt right physically. I was losing sleep - I should have looked after my condition better."

Son provided two assists in his first game of the tournament as South Korea beat China 2-0 in their final group fixture, but the 26-year-old made little impact during an extra-time victory over Bahrain and the defeat to Qatar.

It was the first time since 2004 that South Korea have been knocked out of the Asian Cup before the semi-finals.

"I thought I would start to feel better and grow into the tournament but it just didn't happen," Son said.

"Many people expected big things of us and I'm annoyed at myself for not being able to step up. I know I didn't perform well."

Boy looks ragged. Ideally he would get the Watford game off to recharge but I can see him be on the bench

The guys got more League goals than Lacazette, Lukaku, Vardy & Arnautovic despite having to play in the Asian Olympics and Asian Games during the season. 1 less than Firmino & 2 less than Aguero even though he isn't a striker yet he's got to reach greater heights :pocheyes:

Yea, if he was a Brazilian, German or English they would be raving about him.
Personally, I think he is better than 90% of all the wingers or strikers in Europe.
Can't name a lot of players who can post his numbers.

The only thing keeping him from the world class level is his consistency. (Which we will see if he can continue this season)

Sonny supposedly played some 18 games since late November? with most close to full time?
thats about a game every 3~4 days. and these are after him running like a mad man on WC and Asian game all summer. And the worthless KFC and its stupid new manager had to use Son fully from the China match plus two more in 9 days and one of them was 120 min over extra time. Insane

Sat 24/11/18 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 1 Chelsea View events More info
Wed 28/11/18 UCL Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Internazionale View events More info
Sun 02/12/18 PRL Woolwich 4 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Wed 05/12/18 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 1 Southampton View events More info
Sat 08/12/18 PRL Leicester City 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Tue 11/12/18 UCL Barcelona 1 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Sat 15/12/18 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Burnley View events More info
Wed 19/12/18 LEC Woolwich 0 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Sun 23/12/18 PRL Everton 2 - 6 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Wed 26/12/18 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 5 - 0 AFC Bournemouth View events More info
Sat 29/12/18 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 3 Wolverhampton … View events More info
Tue 01/01/19 PRL Cardiff City 0 - 3 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Fri 04/01/19 FAC Tranmere Rovers 0 - 7 Tottenham Hotspur View events More info
Tue 08/01/19 LEC Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Chelsea View events More info
Sun 13/01/19 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 0 - 1 Manchester United

Last edited:
OMG I didn't even look up. and there is a newspaper saying Son has to reach some kind of new height?? lol

That's why the media aren't worth the time of day. It's a quick speculative piece they write with no insight, no genuine analysis just a quick 4:30pm job before it goes to print
I think it is only getting worse because I heard they are getting paid per click thesedays. The more toxic and irritating more clicks and better

I guess Korea wanted to consolidate top spot in the group as it was a must-win game to do so.

That was fully on the manager to secure a top seed before Son arrived, in the first two group stage matches. He had some truly baffling player selections and questionable tactics that put the team in this position. How do you only manage one goal each against the Philippines and Kzryrsgazstan of all countries?

And honestly even if Korea ended up in 2nd place, it's not like the other side of the bracket was absolutely stacked. This is Asia after all. I'd rather take my chances with a fresh Sonny against any Asian side than putting him on the pitch against Kung Fu FC (no seriously they're known for kicking the shit out of the opposition) hours after he landed. Sonny should have been given full rest and started in the first knockout match. The two assists against China were him running on pure guts and adrenaline but he ran into a brick wall against Bahrain, which dragged the match to ET, which affected the performance against Qatar.

I know most on here are happy that Son is back but I just feel like it was a huge waste for the Cup to end like this for Korea. Might just as well have left him alone in Tottenham then.

Off to Dubai or the Canaries please.
I saw a comment that they weren't doing a warm weather trip this year.
They said it was for operational reasons but then again the company I worked at when recession kicked in during the late 00's literally cancelled the annual Christmas party because of bad financial results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom