Have we reached as far as we could go with the current set-up ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't mean that you thought we were, but the question remains.... What else do you imagine would be going on here?

Personally if someone came in and say offered £100 mil for Dele and he was on 2 years and refused to extend I would accept. Club may look at it differently, just as we can’t thrown money around like City obviously if we sell a good player and get 2-3 good players as replacements overall the squad improves.

There seem to be a lot of these types of thread on here recently...

"Have we gone as far as we can...?"
"#BackPoch"
"Are we papering over the cracks...?"
"Do the players think they're better than they are...?"

...there's a definite underlying theme/tone to all of these....
...and not necessarily one from a Spurs perspective!

The FUCK is going on with some of our online support?
:kanehand:

Poch has done amazing given the circumstances. Pep or mourinho probably wouldn't have got us in to the final to being with.
Pep or mourinho would not have taken over at spurs to start with because they want, demand and expect instant success with ready made talent, so would not have been interested in Levy's 25 year plan for some success of sorts they have to buy into the bald ones philosophy or it won't work.

I don't have the feeling that everyone is pulling in the same direction like they were 3 or 4 years ago. Back then the players were younger, hungrier, fitter, on long contracts, they were prepared to run through brick walls for Poch and it showed on the pitch and with our results. There was a steely focus, a unity

Now, it's all a bit messy. Aging players, players running down contracts, constant injuries, no definitive playing style, uncertainty as to whether Poch will get the players he needs to rebuild, Poch himself is not so certain to remain at the club and be part of the rebuilding process

The season ahead will be a tough one I feel. Somehow Poch has to again create that unity and focus amongst the group. A base where everyone is working as one towards the goal set by Poch. It will be easier if he manages to get the players in that he wants and the likes of Rose, Toby and Eriksen leave because they are no longer committed to the long term at Spurs. Hopefully by the beginning of September things will be clearer

For me it is a case of defensive midfield having no competition, right-back having no competition, and striker having no competition. Those are three areas we could target with World Class players and get rid of deadwood. The other thing is, a lot has been made about Poch and the glass ceiling. However, clearly there is at least one year of progression left if he has got us to a final twice and not won and two semis and not won.

I credit Pochettino for using all of his forward players, but I feel he used them incorrectly and it was a case of too many cooks. That said, all of the four or five or six he brought on up front were not firing properly. I feel we should target very specific areas like Klopp and Liverpool and come back stronger.

We have definitely reached the end of the line for this selection of central midfielders. Wanyama is physically finished and without Dembele we have nobody who has both power and poise in the centre. Sissoko is a trier but limited in every technical aspect.

We need to buy 2 energetic and technical CMs to refresh that area of the pitch, games are won and lost in the middle and we have not had the proper balance in there for the entire season. I don't believe our defense or attack need massive reinforcement, it's midfield that is making the whole team look bad.

Depends on the level of ambition. Personally if Toby and Eriksen go then the below would re-energise us. Even with sales that about £150-200 mil of spending, don’t see it personally but think we might hit £100 mil or so net. We don’t have a choice as if we fail to go hard I have a feeling Poch will leave as he will think done as much as I can.

Wan Bisska (60 mil)
DM of quality like Rodri (60 mil)
Lo Celso (60 mil)
Ndombele ( 60 mil)
Sessegnon (30 mil)
Malcolm or Fekir or both (40-80 mil)

Sell

Trippier 25 mil
Waynama 10 mil
Toby and Eriksen (would rather keep) £100 mil
Janssen 8 mil
Llorentte free
Nkuoduo 5 mil

Need to be ruthless with these players, they either want to be here or not. Bored of them pissing about over their contracts.

In turn the wage cap needs to be moved higher.

Toby is getting on, time to find a long term replacement

I think we are more likely to change to a more type Liverpool model, Son and Lucas are quick dynamic players, if we get one or two like that we could go down a hard press route that Liverpool use. Eriksen and Dele are not suited for that game type.

Poch also ideally likes a hard press which he used when we had a younger team, I just don’t think we have the players for it, if we did I think this would come back.

My issue here is that we did it first. Liverpool took our model and made it better and we gave up on it.

The Leicester season style of play is a distant memory for this squad, so we either pioneer something new (442 is so out of fashion that it would be new) or we continue to bauble along with no identity.

Like I said last night being CL finalists is a hell of a brick wall to hit...used to be qualifying for the Europa League was beyond us, then the top 4 was the impossible dream, we are making fucking great progress, we just need to find players with a bit more consistency in putting balls into dangerous positions in the box ...

Yep he is not Bale or Modric quality.

I so hope we get Ndombele, watched him a lot this season and I honestly believe he will be one of the best midfielders in world football, has everything. If Eriksen leaving gets us this guy then yes.
I'm not going to hold my breath especially if he's as good as you say, I would expect other top clubs to make a bid, while we waste time making low ball bids that we know Lyon won't accept.

I'm not going to hold my breath especially if he's as good as you say, I would expect other top clubs to make a bid, while we waste time making low ball bids that we know Lyon won't accept.

I think our only chance is to match the price and get it done early. He bullied the Man City midfield in the CL games and was heavily linked with them and a few other clubs but all the reports are that we are the first ones knocking.

I think our only chance is to match the price and get it done early. He bullied the Man City midfield in the CL games and was heavily linked with them and a few other clubs but all the reports are that we are the first ones knocking.
We'd have to break the habit of a lifetime, this is a deal that should have be done last season. Levy needs to make a statement of intent and get this done, I don't think there is anyway that Poch will put up with a repeat performance of last summer.

Madrid will run a mile after last night. I can't see why they would be interested in Eriksen. Apparently it's Perez who wants him but Zidane is not a fan and would rather buy Pogba

Strange Pogba has been even worse and yes I know he got XI but most people thought that was a stupid joke.

I can understand Hazard but if I was Zidane Pogba and Eriksen would not be on my list.

but ManU as usual are living in cuckoo land and want 150 mil for Pogba... Considering Levy may be ok to part with Eriksen for 75 mil since he is on his final year

If we had Pogba Levy would do the same. Pogba sells shirts, can dap well and has top class haircuts. Marketers dream.

Have we reached as far as we can go? Yeah, I think we have, but if we can stay at this level, we're a good shout for any cup we enter.

What I don't see us being able to do is become a 95+ point type side. As long as that's where you have to get to for a league title, I think we're out of luck.

Don't you think that's exactly what we have been trying to do with regard to CE & TA tho'?

To suggest we're happy to watch them wind their deals down or that it's by design is ludicrous.

Where did I say we are happy about their contracts winding down?

More about what you do when you hit the 2 year mark, do you sell for highest value or not.

Any likely hold up could well be due to player or selling club holding out to see what other offers come in.

We can't hurry that which won't be rushed.

Where did I say we are happy about their contracts winding down?

More about what you do when you hit the 2 year mark, do you sell for highest value or not.

I didn't mean that you thought we were, but the question remains.... What else do you imagine would be going on here?

Back
Top Bottom