Have we reached as far as we could go with the current set-up ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Eriksen wants to go to Madrid, I say go ahead. He's a good player but not a top player or a world class player, he won't last at Madrid.

If Eriksen wants to go to Madrid, I say go ahead. He's a good player but not a top player or a world class player, he won't last at Madrid.

Yep he is not Bale or Modric quality.

I so hope we get Ndombele, watched him a lot this season and I honestly believe he will be one of the best midfielders in world football, has everything. If Eriksen leaving gets us this guy then yes.

I think it's clear we have.

League Cup runners up
FA Cup semi final x2
Premier League runners up
Top 4 finish x4
Champions League runners up

All in 5 years. If we were good enough and this team were capable of reaching the next level they would have done. Can't keep dismissing lack of "luck" - it's just the team when it came to the final hurdle just didn't have that extra.

Nothing wrong with that. It's about reacting now. We've lost Walker and Dembele from that original Pochettino team and we're about to lose Alderweireld and Eriksen this summer (likely) so a huge summer to try and build a new team with a new style, a new way of playing with different attributes to try and take us to the next level.

And I believe Pochettino can do that if he's allowed to build that team.

Yep he is not Bale or Modric quality.

I so hope we get Ndombele, watched him a lot this season and I honestly believe he will be one of the best midfielders in world football, has everything. If Eriksen leaving gets us this guy then yes.
I'm not going to hold my breath especially if he's as good as you say, I would expect other top clubs to make a bid, while we waste time making low ball bids that we know Lyon won't accept.

I'm not going to hold my breath especially if he's as good as you say, I would expect other top clubs to make a bid, while we waste time making low ball bids that we know Lyon won't accept.

I think our only chance is to match the price and get it done early. He bullied the Man City midfield in the CL games and was heavily linked with them and a few other clubs but all the reports are that we are the first ones knocking.

I think our only chance is to match the price and get it done early. He bullied the Man City midfield in the CL games and was heavily linked with them and a few other clubs but all the reports are that we are the first ones knocking.
We'd have to break the habit of a lifetime, this is a deal that should have be done last season. Levy needs to make a statement of intent and get this done, I don't think there is anyway that Poch will put up with a repeat performance of last summer.

Madrid will run a mile after last night. I can't see why they would be interested in Eriksen. Apparently it's Perez who wants him but Zidane is not a fan and would rather buy Pogba

Madrid will run a mile after last night. I can't see why they would be interested in Eriksen. Apparently it's Perez who wants him but Zidane is not a fan and would rather buy Pogba

Strange Pogba has been even worse and yes I know he got XI but most people thought that was a stupid joke.

I can understand Hazard but if I was Zidane Pogba and Eriksen would not be on my list.

Strange Pogba has been even worse and yes I know he got XI but most people thought that was a stupid joke.

I can understand Hazard but if I was Zidane Pogba and Eriksen would not be on my list.
Zidane wouldn't even consider Pogba if he was Belgian or Spanish.

but ManU as usual are living in cuckoo land and want 150 mil for Pogba... Considering Levy may be ok to part with Eriksen for 75 mil since he is on his final year

but ManU as usual are living in cuckoo land and want 150 mil for Pogba... Considering Levy may be ok to part with Eriksen for 75 mil since he is on his final year

If we had Pogba Levy would do the same. Pogba sells shirts, can dap well and has top class haircuts. Marketers dream.

At least need to upgrade our fullbacks and CM to have any chance of competing, Rose is an Everton / Leicester left-back and not the biggest problem, but Trippier and Aurier are done at this club and Wan-Bissaka would be a huge upgrade, Ndombele in CM would be amazing.

Our last game was in he final of the champions league , so by that we are where we should be , at the pinnacle of what football is .

We can beat anyone on our day & we are learning each season

Of course we can go further

Lloris
Wan Bisska-Sanchez-Verts-Rose/Sessegnon
Sissoko/Lo Celso-Winks-Ndombele
Lucas-Kane-Son

In terms of the players we have been linked with and how we can play Id imagine a 4-3-3 press as our future maybe. That’s if we should ambition in the market and the players want to come.

Yet another trophyless season and this is frustrating from the team that has promised so much until the final obstacle.
Poised to lose both Eriksen and Toby which would be ripping out a key player from our attack and defence . Levy needs to bring some changes in to take Spurs to the next level
1. Emergency revision of the salary cap and offer Toby a new deal meeting his demands that would hopefully change his mind and keep him for another 2 years
2. Los Celso needs to be priority#1 signing no matter what it takes. Very few players can replace Eriksen
3. Trippier's position needs to be upgraded and he needs to be moved on. Wan Bissaka is the best RWB in the country currently - sign him.
4. The side lacks pace compared to the likes of City and liverpool who have Mane, sterling,Sane,Mosalah etc. Pace is critical for counter attacks as well as to break down teams parking the bus. Pacy wingers need to be signed to give an added dimension to the team - we can't rely on Moura and Son's heroics to carry us through every single game. Lamela is useless and needs to be sold -even if he played in the final yesterday he wouldn't have made a difference given his attributes already shown
5. Wanyama is done. Need a reliable DM who can go toe-to-toe with the best and win the midfield battles - and push Sissoko for the spot . Ndombele!

I don't often agree 100% with posts but I do with this one.

We also need to sign a few more CBs because both Toby and Jan are getting older and personally I don't think Foyth or Sanchez are good enough replacements.

My thoughts:

Attack:
-Sell Kane. Observing how the team has evolved over the past year or so, Kane does not fit well within the system that has recently worked for Tottenham. Keeping him is a lose lose situation for both Kane and the club.
-Build attack around Son as #1 and Moura as #2. Clearly this duo has been working on the biggest stage and against the biggest clubs. I don't see why it wouldn't work going forward. Give Son more responsibility by making him the point-person up front. He still needs to be more consistent with his finishing and perhaps his passing but he has most of the qualities (pace, quickness, skill, ball sense, ambidextrous) that would allow him to be a top 10 attacker in the world.
-I would be inclined to try and sell Ali but if not, I'd move him up into a focused attacking role alongside Moura and Son. At times, he's asked cover most of the pitch but it's clear that he's not up to the task. A more focused attacking role would be more suitable for him at this stage in his career.
-Build some depth up front by signing a player or two with a lot of PACE and ideally, HEIGHT. Doesn't need to be the most expensive players in the world. Sign these players and develop them as the club did with Son. It's becoming more and more apparent that Tottenham needs to build their identity around speed, as many of the top clubs already have been doing.

Midfield:
-Sissoko and Eriksen are untouchables in the Midfield. Everyone else is fair game.
-Despite his recent poor performances, I think a replacement for Eriksen will be extremely hard to come by and even if Tottenham does bring in someone of quality, it'll take 1-2 years for the team to gel with the new playmaker. With a little time and rest, I think Eriksen will be back to form. I would try to keep him at all costs.
-Just like the attack, Tottenham needs to build more depth in the midfield. You could see the fatigue kick in during the latter stages of the season.

Defense:
-Defense overall looked pretty solid and organized throughout the season but it needs to get younger and find replacements.
-Love Danny Rose, particularly in a system where pace is instrumental. He's indispensable in my opinion.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

Attack:
-Sell Kane. Observing how the team has evolved over the past year or so, Kane does not fit well within the system that has recently worked for Tottenham. Keeping him is a lose lose situation for both Kane and the club.
-Build attack around Son as #1 and Moura as #2. Clearly this duo has been working on the biggest stage and against the biggest clubs. I don't see why it wouldn't work going forward. Give Son more responsibility by making him the point-person up front. He still needs to be more consistent with his finishing and perhaps his passing but he has most of the qualities (pace, quickness, skill, ball sense, ambidextrous) that would allow him to be a top 10 attacker in the world.
-I would be inclined to try and sell Ali but if not, I'd move him up into a focused attacking role alongside Moura and Son. At times, he's asked cover most of the pitch but it's clear that he's not up to the task. A more focused attacking role would be more suitable for him at this stage in his career.
-Build some depth up front by signing a player or two with a lot of PACE and ideally, HEIGHT. Doesn't need to be the most expensive players in the world. Sign these players and develop them as the club did with Son. It's becoming more and more apparent that Tottenham needs to build their identity around speed, as many of the top clubs already have been doing.

Midfield:
-Sissoko and Eriksen are untouchables in the Midfield. Everyone else is fair game.
-Despite his recent poor performances, I think a replacement for Eriksen will be extremely hard to come by and even if Tottenham does bring in someone of quality, it'll take 1-2 years for the team to gel with the new playmaker. With a little time and rest, I think Eriksen will be back to form. I would try to keep him at all costs.
-Just like the attack, Tottenham needs to build more depth in the midfield. You could see the fatigue kick in during the latter stages of the season.

Defense:
-Defense looked pretty solid and organized throughout the entire season so I don't think there's much to do here. I think time and experience will only make the defense stronger, should Tottenham be able to keep the core together.
-Love Danny Rose, particularly in a system where pace is instrumental. He's indispensable in my opinion.
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom