Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm more engaged than I have ever been with football and Tottenham. This includes delusional teenage years watching us win FA Cups and UEFA Cups and thinking that this is what was normal'ish.

I've never seen us this consistently good and IMO we are now back in the top 6 teams in English football when I was a kid we were known to be one of the "big five". I'm absolutely loving it right now, it feels fucking brilliant to be one of the best teams in the country and possible title contenders.

Following the Champions League final I didn't watch or read anything about football, I was fatigued. I still haven't watched back the final and I doubt I will. The big difference with football today, as opposed to my youth or even 10yrs ago, is that it's 24/7 and if you are fighting for things (getting to semi-finals and finals) it's even more stressful. I Think this takes it out of you as a supporter. The other thing is the "banter" is worse and relentless, driven mostly by 11yr olds kids wanking into their socks behind a TV screen, as getting to a final is apparently worse than getting knocked out of the thing first round!!!

But I've had my break, last game I watched was our CL Final followed by Englands loss in the semi-final friendly but not a friendly competition. Now can't wait for the season to start.

Last edited:
Some good posts here and a lot to agree with.
With regard to Spurs, I like many, was emotionally wrung out by the time the final whistle blew in Madrid. I turned around and walked out of NWHL and haven’t watched any of it back.

The whole season was bizarre. Mediocrity punctuated by moments of sheer unbelievable drama and high octane skill.

I’ve started to think a little about the coming season now - as a ST holder it’s hard not to. My ‘other’ sport is cricket, so I always have something else in the post season to keep my interests elsewhere. I’m looking forward to seeing new signings and to seeing our best players returning after a much needed break.

I don’t ‘just’ support Spurs. I have an interest in global football, non-league and the general history of the game. However, what some have called ‘modern football’ here I too find an anathema. Sky (& others tbf) have killed it, saturating TV with too many games (less is more?). High ticket prices, stadium gentrification, drivel on social media, betting companies monopolising the periphery, VAR, even the fucking ad hoardings that light up and detract from the match some have paid almost a ton to see!!!

I’ll always love Spurs and what the game in general brings to so many people but I’ll always loathe what the ad-men, corporate consultants, agents, TV moguls and general cunts in suits have done...

Not of Spurs but football in general.

It's not even Mourinho's tactic of defending a 1-0 defeat (though it certainly doesn't help), or the soulless experience of empty stadiums.

It's fucking VAR. I really do think it's destroyed the sport. Can't even have the joy of celebrating a goal because you need to wait ten minutes to see if someone grazed another player's elbow during the warm up.

I'm looking forward to it, but get what you're saying Mensa Mensa .
My head says we'll do well to finish 4th and maybe bag a domestic cup. My heart says we'll win the Premiership and the Champions League. Hope springs eternal, I suppose.
I'm looking forward to seeing our new signing(s), maybe a couple of the youngsters making a breakthrough and making the stadium a fortress.
Things about the modern game frustrate the heck out of me, mostly the messing about with fixtures, so I can't organise anything in advance, and the way that money is the absolute king.
I enjoy the summer break immensely, but I do miss going to see Spurs. I could do with the season being shorter though, it's ridiculous that we're going to start the season in a couple of week's time. What with internationals and high profile, pre-season "friendlies", players don't really get much of a rest from competitive games, and neither do we!

I don't really like football anymore.

Transfer windows, social media, 24/7 media coverage, the gentrification of the crowd, the ridiculous cost of attending and the even more ridiculous wages etc etc

But I love Tottenham. I always go into the new season with renewed hope even though I know deep in my heart it will peter out as always. Such a shame we couldn't take the final step last season.

For me football has always been about the whole day out and from that perspective I still enjoy it. Meeting old mates and making new ones. A few beers and a lot of laughs.

Been a fan for 51 years and still do 20+ games a season with a 5 hour minimum round trip to get there and home again.

If football is only about the winning for a particular individual it is probably not the right sport or right team for them.
That's a brilliant summing up. I'm a Spurs supporter first and foremost, not really interested in other games, unless it affects us. I don't bother watching live games unless we're playing. And that's always been the case, even before the days of blanket coverage.

I can not think of one single thing I enjoy about modern football, too much money, social media, shit atmosphere at all grounds, football tourists glued to their phones with their half and half scarfs and TV pundits have switched me off from the game altogether, I detest what it has become while more and more clubs financially struggle in the lower leagues and local kids are only interested in the top teams.

But I love Spurs and always will, it's the only time I get excited about football is when Spurs are playing and that will never change.

If you've had enough of Tottenham then fuck off elsewhere.

I didn’t say I had enough of Tottenham, just the landscape has become a little tiresome like a few have said on here

It’s like having a beautiful girlfriend in a really shitty town with a family that are nutters, you love her but the whole package isn’t appealing

As others have also said I am sure once that first ball gets kicked I can ignore the noise and concentrate on my team again

COYS

FA Cup final day was brilliant.

I watched it every year from about 1970 to around the early 1990s without fail. I genuinely cannot recall the last time I watched it. Haven't watched a League cup final since ours in 2008.
I still know practically every scorer in every final in the 70's and 80's....now I can't even name who played who 5 years ago...

Thing is, we've had darker days... we all know we have.

Problem is that Sky's new brand of Premier League football has you believe the league is over if your not top in October.... and all the fallout/ckickbait from irate fans is mere money in the pocket for the websites.... they WANT us to be angry in October 'cos we're not top.... and both team AND fans are obliging willingly!

No, I haven't had enough... I can never have enough.... 'cos it's Spurs... and I'll always love the club...

But fuck me they make it hard to like them sometimes!

Last edited:
I haven't had enough... I can never have enough.... 'cos it's Spurs... and I'll always love the club...

But fuck me they make it hard to like them sometimes!
At times like this, I think of them like that brat of a child that you're stuck with - unconditional love!

Last edited:
I just received a copy of the programme from my first ever match: Home v West Ham 19 April 1969.

Season ticket prices ranged from £14-£20. :pochcry:

Oh and West Ham were 6th and we were 8th. So in 52 years nothing whatsoever has changed*. What a waste of sodding time! :mourbye:

At least we won the match 1-0 (Greaves) although I'm expecting a VAR check to disallow that soon.

*Edit: We were even three points behind and had a game in hand! FFS, that’s 52 more years of my life gone and I’m back where I started.

Last edited:
I’m stoked for the start of the season. This team is exciting leading up to the season starting because we know how amazing we can be, but also how flat we can be. I’m excited to see which one comes out in the season opener.

I still really want us to win a cup. I don’t think it’s meaningless and I feel the second the FA Cup is meaningless is the second football becomes meaningless.

Regarding TFC, I feel like it’s inundated with either blowhards that can get enough of their own opinions or dickheads waiting for a fight. The levelheaded posters I hardly see anymore and that’s a bummer.

Buzzing from a brilliant day at Silverstone. I'm really looking to the new season at the stadium.

Over the years we all have our ups & downs with football (but never with Spurs, as far as I'm concerned). Sometimes life takes over for a while - it's normal. But you'll always come back to it in the end. Go with the flow.

Personally l haven't enjoyed the ride since the beginning of last season.
Even before Christmas when results were good the football was haphazard, bumbling and not attractive. Everything came to a head after February when the away form collapsed with ramshackle performances .
The road to Madrid was typical chaos but brilliantly unbelievable. The final
was so soul crushing and so flat for a once in a life time occasion.
Today l feel that both Poch/Levy have failed on many different levels . The mess seems to get bigger daily but without intelligent planning and financial clout we are in for a long bloody shit journey .
Well, that lifted my spirits.....
:)

Back
Top Bottom