Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Over the years I've considered jacking it in on a few occasions but sometimes, in the most unlikely circumstances, the defiance and siege mentality steps in. Was at the game yesterday and one of those moments occurred. 3-0 down to Brighton and then 'Tottenham Till I Die' starts up (which lets face it only usually gets sung in times of trouble) and you realise there is actually no other place i'd rather be. Win, lose or draw its with you for life.

FA Cup final day was brilliant.

I watched it every year from about 1970 to around the early 1990s without fail. I genuinely cannot recall the last time I watched it. Haven't watched a League cup final since ours in 2008.
Same here, probably because live football on TV was such a rare thing. You got through the season relying on MotD and then in the first week of May there was a whole fucking day devoted to it. Cup Final It's a Knockout (ask your granddad young 'uns), chat about the players' breakfasts, suits and so on, The Road to Wembley...

And the fun of "supporting" another team for the day, I remember my mum going into a bookies for the first time in her life to bet two shillings on Sunderland to beat Leeds in 1973 because I'd had a dream about it a couple of days before and the two of us carrying on like we'd broke the bank at Vegas when they won...

I was around in the Sugar era.
I detest Mourinho and have found the football interminably dull, but compared to then this nothing.

I remember getting done 6-1 at home by the chavs with a tore andre flo hat trick.Christian Gross and his magic ticket. John Scales at centre half. Pony kits and Pony football

Christ. We finished 12 points behind Spam that year.
I think I remember back-to-back 0-3 losses at home to Sheffield Wednesday and Middlesbrough one season. Finishing below Charlton and it was seemingly just accepted!

The gap and money in football was less then generally but it was still horrific underachievement. There is certainly a generation of Spurs who don't know how lucky they are in the past few years - punching highly above our weight for once - and that probably correlates with those who wanted Poch out.

Last edited:
This thread is just weird. We are 6th in the league and if we win our 2 games in hand we will be 1 point off 4th. Some posts on here make it seem like we are 18th.

It wasn't so long ago that the entire world was laughing at Woolwich and their suicidal fans then they went and beat Chelsea. Just calm down and save the meltdowns for after the game.

I am always excited to watch Tottenham and I don't understand any Tottenham fan who isn't.

My excitement levels varies, based on other interests and going-ons in my life and the quality of our football. Last season I was busy with kids, work-related shit and no-life nerd stuff. That coincided with us playing perhaps the worst football we have, in my opinion, under Poch. I've always said that it means more to me that our games are enjoyable than that we win titles. Last season I lost some interest due to our oftentimes poor performances - despite our results being decent (at times, anyway), and the CL final could not quite make up for that.

For next season I am currently quite excited, as I do hope that by adding some fresh blood and giving the players an actual decent pre-season, our football can again become exciting. Would love if we could apply some high press and start dominating games again. If we do, I do think I will again find it very exciting to watch our games.

Knowing where teams will finish before the season starts is not a new thing. If anything, I'd say the fight for CL places is more exciting than it used to be - with the previous top 4 now being top 6. Also, the fight for 7th. and the work to become one of the top X involves more teams now than it used to, with Everton and Wolves going hard.

Furthermore, more teams are focused on playing exciting, enjoyable football than they were some seasons back. And the money thing is less problematic, in my opinion, than it used to be, as there are more clubs with money to invest now.

The times are also quite exciting for English football, with a lot of hugely talented young players having just had or being near their breakthrough.

Our first season proper in that beautiful new stadium, finally a new signing to get excited about and potentially more on the way with a nice sprinkling of exciting youth coming through. Dude I can't wait for the new season.

:pochhail:

Football in general is a bit meh year on year it becomes less relevant to me, I used to watch all the big games on super Sunday religiously all the cl games, match of the day, internationals etc, unless it's a particularly quiet Sunday or Spurs are on super sunday is hardly ever and half the time when I can watch it I don't I just flick through the channels, watched MOTD twice last season and didn't love it, Cl I probably watch a few from the QF stage onwards and most of the time I forget international football is even on but enjoy Big England games.

My passion for Spurs burns brighter than ever tho and I make an effort to see most games it feels like life and death sometimes I'm fanatical, I am also enjoying Southgates England and appreciate it more because I don't really care if they lose (even the WC semi didn't sting long) anything is a bonus and they are exceeding my expectations.

I'd say my passion for football is a strong as ever just more concentrated in certain areas.

Hello all, was a one time regular poster now not so much, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has lost their excitement for this coming season, and for football in general?

I don’t know if it was the CL final that killed me, or the fact we know where teams will finish before this season starts, or that football has lost all of its charm to money now but I just don’t feel the passion I once did whatsoever

Knowing domestic cups are pretty meaningless now and waiting for the Euro super league to be formed sometime soon which will be a large step to killing the game altogether.

I am just wondering if anyone else’s interest had waned at all with the whole thing?

Hate modern football (money, media and fans)... Love Spurs.....

Bit like a crack addict feels, I suspect.

Just noticed how so few of the serial discontents in our midst are posting in this thread....

Further proof (as if it were needed) that the cunts love nothing more than to bitch and moan and that maybe beneath the surface they realise the club is in far better shape that they are honest enough to admit.

Please don't encourage the miserable bastards to come in here. They've soured enough of the forum already.

I'm more engaged than I have ever been with football and Tottenham. This includes delusional teenage years watching us win FA Cups and UEFA Cups and thinking that this is what was normal'ish.

I've never seen us this consistently good and IMO we are now back in the top 6 teams in English football when I was a kid we were known to be one of the "big five". I'm absolutely loving it right now, it feels fucking brilliant to be one of the best teams in the country and possible title contenders.

Following the Champions League final I didn't watch or read anything about football, I was fatigued. I still haven't watched back the final and I doubt I will. The big difference with football today, as opposed to my youth or even 10yrs ago, is that it's 24/7 and if you are fighting for things (getting to semi-finals and finals) it's even more stressful. I Think this takes it out of you as a supporter. The other thing is the "banter" is worse and relentless, driven mostly by 11yr olds kids wanking into their socks behind a TV screen, as getting to a final is apparently worse than getting knocked out of the thing first round!!!

But I've had my break, last game I watched was our CL Final followed by Englands lose in the semi-final friendly but not a friendly competition. Now can't wait for the season to start.
Almost at my paragraph limit there...

Fuck off you boring cunt

The difference being is that I make the odd remark it’s you that does it ‘constantly ‘ with your anti Sissoko agenda

You’re an absolute twat mate

Forum joke and it’s not just me that’s saying it now fuck off back to your tactics thread and sit on your double pivot
I always have high hopes for a post that starts with, "****off you boring ****", and this one did not disappoint.

Last edited:
My answer is a definite No. I’m really excited to see what Pochettino can do with his 2nd phase of his project.

We have a far higher baseline as a starting point. The CL run put our name in lights, Pochettino’s reputation as an elite coach is solidified, the stadium, the financial muscle... The club is in a far better place than it was in 2014, and if you look at what has happened over the last 5 years, what could the next 5 years bring if we kept on the same trend?

Hello all, was a one time regular poster now not so much, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has lost their excitement for this coming season, and for football in general?

I don’t know if it was the CL final that killed me, or the fact we know where teams will finish before this season starts, or that football has lost all of its charm to money now but I just don’t feel the passion I once did whatsoever

Knowing domestic cups are pretty meaningless now and waiting for the Euro super league to be formed sometime soon which will be a large step to killing the game altogether.

I am just wondering if anyone else’s interest had waned at all with the whole thing?
Like many, after the CL final I had definitely had enough. I did promise myself - and my wife - that, if we had won, I would have chucked in my ST and the thousands I put into the club each year. Seasons are so long now that I am absolutely exhausted mentally at the end of each season. Fans can't rotate. I go to most games H&A and it takes its toll. But a summer without a major tournament helps me to get back into it. I love the summer off. For me, cricket is my healer. But, I am getting ready for the new season. I have to say that it takes me until September to get properly into the new season, but I love this club, Tottenham is part of me, until the day I die... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Couldn’t agree more. Twatter is the single most reason as to why modern day football is ruined.
Silly little keyboard kids spending all day acting tough and craving attention.. oooh look at me I’m a proper Woolwich fan because I make little Gifs about spurs please press like.. 90% of them have never been anywhere near their clubs ground.
To make matters worse our so called professional pundits copy what these kids say, using terms like Spurs or bottlers. The only interaction with opposition fans used to be before, during and after the game. Now its all about who can post pretty pictures the quickest.
The majority of them have no clue at just how pathetic they make themselves look and it’s pretty much all they have in their pathetic little lives.

What I’d give to go back to the football experience of the 80’s and 90’s.

Totally agree. Although I would also include the 70s.

I was telling my (younger) mates yesterday that although my lot used to go home and away we basically never talked about football between 5pm on a Saturday after the previous game had ended and the following Saturday morning before the next game.

We would basically make plans to meet at the usual time for home games or where we needed to be for an away game. And that was it.

We weren't subjected to football 24/7. And it was far more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom