Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello all, was a one time regular poster now not so much, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has lost their excitement for this coming season, and for football in general?

I don’t know if it was the CL final that killed me, or the fact we know where teams will finish before this season starts, or that football has lost all of its charm to money now but I just don’t feel the passion I once did whatsoever

Knowing domestic cups are pretty meaningless now and waiting for the Euro super league to be formed sometime soon which will be a large step to killing the game altogether.

I am just wondering if anyone else’s interest had waned at all with the whole thing?

If you had asked me this up until a couple of weeks ago,I would have agreed with you.
But I am really looking forward to the new season now. Not saying the things you highlighted aren't true,just for me I have got my buzz back. What else would I moan about on a Sunday afternoon down the pub or at work Monday morning?... :)

My excitement levels varies, based on other interests and going-ons in my life and the quality of our football. Last season I was busy with kids, work-related shit and no-life nerd stuff. That coincided with us playing perhaps the worst football we have, in my opinion, under Poch. I've always said that it means more to me that our games are enjoyable than that we win titles. Last season I lost some interest due to our oftentimes poor performances - despite our results being decent (at times, anyway), and the CL final could not quite make up for that.

For next season I am currently quite excited, as I do hope that by adding some fresh blood and giving the players an actual decent pre-season, our football can again become exciting. Would love if we could apply some high press and start dominating games again. If we do, I do think I will again find it very exciting to watch our games.

Knowing where teams will finish before the season starts is not a new thing. If anything, I'd say the fight for CL places is more exciting than it used to be - with the previous top 4 now being top 6. Also, the fight for 7th. and the work to become one of the top X involves more teams now than it used to, with Everton and Wolves going hard.

Furthermore, more teams are focused on playing exciting, enjoyable football than they were some seasons back. And the money thing is less problematic, in my opinion, than it used to be, as there are more clubs with money to invest now.

The times are also quite exciting for English football, with a lot of hugely talented young players having just had or being near their breakthrough.

It's a tough one. I think for a few years now I have classed myself first and foremost as a Spurs fan rather than a football fan and if the worst were to happen and Spurs were to go out of business I doubt I would follow football anymore, at least not club football as there is something special about international tournaments.

I actually think some members of the so-called Big Six are in for a bit of a shock this season. Citeh and Dippers look nailed.on for Top 4 (and maybe us if we can bring in a couple more good players) but everyone else shouldn't be so cocky. Everton, Leicester, Wolves even, sorry, the Spammers are already looking competitive.

There's also the Euros in the summer to look forward to with both semi's and the final being played at Wembley.

Actually this season could be one of the very best in recent PL and CL. In short, ask me in a year's time!

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone on here went into the season really positive, cut out the bitching and got behind the team.

You just now its going to be same old, same old, slagging off Levy, Poch, the players are useless cunts, Trippiers sh..... err Davies is shit etc etc.

It's the entitled idiots that drain the energy from this site and the game for me. We all know who they are, year after year, same boring shite on repeat.

I can't wait for the new season, even more so the next 3 or 4 years when Poch really has fully been able to benefit from the stadiums increased revenue and build a squad winning trophies consistently.

Posters like John Thomas will come out with bollocks saying shite like the happy clappers won't deserve it, they never wanted investment blah blah blah. We'll just sit back and enjoy it even more knowing we invested our support for the long haul and enjoyed every minute of the journey seeing the club grow, the training complex, the stadium. We fully understood we needed to go through austerity and investment in infrastructure more than the squad to reap the longer term benefits and the glory when the stadium was finally finished.

A couple more signings before deadline and this could be a big, big season for us. Hang on to your seat because the buzz is going to come back in a huge way in these next few years.

I know what you mean regards same old, same old I think it’s getting worse season after season though for me not in regards us, Tottenham! this is relatively still a novelty top four, good manager, good squad etc etc it remains to be seen that if it continues I’ll still feel the same but I’ve watched/supported Tottenham through the late 90s, naughties and the majority would agree during that period it was grim but I stuck with it, so no reason why I wouldn’t now but it’s not just about the football with me regards Spurs it’s everything that’s to do with the club it’s history the area area, fans,ex players, new stadium, old stadium The FC it all comes under for me the support of Tottenham and what they are about. As for football yes it does wane seriously for me international football just bores me to death, as mentioned domestic cups aren’t taken seriously by the people that play in them nor run them so why should we! Just today it’s mentioned that Bale could be on his way to China 1million A WEEK!!!! Sorry but that’s just OBSCENE disgusting in fact even the guy himself should be saying to himself this is wrong! The thread about supporting Tottenham in the 60s sounds idyllic compared to today life/football seemed simple. If Tottenham didn’t play in the CL I wouldn’t take any interest in it at all, what’s left that’s just a money making scam of the highest level but what can you do? the majority that have supported Tottenham maybe do it for the same reason I do it for it was never about the glory it was just about doing the the best they could and you loved/love them for it, supporting a winning team that’s easy to do.

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is something like the CL final, though it was a tough experience, that would do it for me.

Plenty of very loyal season ticket holders at every club get to a point where they need to take a step back. If you're following the team home and away, you are going to get emotionally attached and there becomes a point where it seems like it's just too much in terms of time, money and emotional investment.

I think there's an interesting discussion to be had with folks who stop their season ticket and why and I am fairly sure some will have genuinely fallen out of love for their club. Doesn't mean changing allegiances but at least changing your priorities a bit.

When season tickets get renewed you do feel a bit exploited, for example, I have got mates who follows Watford & Crystal Palace, if you take the costs of their season tickets and combine them, they're still not as much as my Spurs season ticket, I know we have a better ground and I'm genuinely not comparing apples with apples but you have to question if it's reasonable or proportionate. This notion might lead you to feel a bit disenfranchised.

Personal opinion but I think you fall out of love with your club before you fall out of love with football and there is nothing scientific there to back it up, that's my instinct. The only thing I try to do is keep a distance at times with Spurs, so try not to get too ecstatic when we win or too down when we lose, I fail at both occasionally but I'm human.

I still renewed because the love is still there, I love the new ground, I think we've got a great side and a lot to look forward to but I do understand why people fall out of love. The best thing to do is not renew your season ticket if you think your relationship with the club is becoming toxic or you're not enjoying it. Watching Spurs should be fun not an abusive relationship!

Our first season proper in that beautiful new stadium, finally a new signing to get excited about and potentially more on the way with a nice sprinkling of exciting youth coming through. Dude I can't wait for the new season.

:pochhail:

I don't really like football anymore.

Transfer windows, social media, 24/7 media coverage, the gentrification of the crowd, the ridiculous cost of attending and the even more ridiculous wages etc etc

But I love Tottenham. I always go into the new season with renewed hope even though I know deep in my heart it will peter out as always. Such a shame we couldn't take the final step last season.

For me football has always been about the whole day out and from that perspective I still enjoy it. Meeting old mates and making new ones. A few beers and a lot of laughs.

Been a fan for 51 years and still do 20+ games a season with a 5 hour minimum round trip to get there and home again.

If football is only about the winning for a particular individual it is probably not the right sport or right team for them.

Football in general is a bit meh year on year it becomes less relevant to me, I used to watch all the big games on super Sunday religiously all the cl games, match of the day, internationals etc, unless it's a particularly quiet Sunday or Spurs are on super sunday is hardly ever and half the time when I can watch it I don't I just flick through the channels, watched MOTD twice last season and didn't love it, Cl I probably watch a few from the QF stage onwards and most of the time I forget international football is even on but enjoy Big England games.

My passion for Spurs burns brighter than ever tho and I make an effort to see most games it feels like life and death sometimes I'm fanatical, I am also enjoying Southgates England and appreciate it more because I don't really care if they lose (even the WC semi didn't sting long) anything is a bonus and they are exceeding my expectations.

I'd say my passion for football is a strong as ever just more concentrated in certain areas.

I'm looking forward to it, but get what you're saying Mensa Mensa .
My head says we'll do well to finish 4th and maybe bag a domestic cup. My heart says we'll win the Premiership and the Champions League. Hope springs eternal, I suppose.
I'm looking forward to seeing our new signing(s), maybe a couple of the youngsters making a breakthrough and making the stadium a fortress.
Things about the modern game frustrate the heck out of me, mostly the messing about with fixtures, so I can't organise anything in advance, and the way that money is the absolute king.
I enjoy the summer break immensely, but I do miss going to see Spurs. I could do with the season being shorter though, it's ridiculous that we're going to start the season in a couple of week's time. What with internationals and high profile, pre-season "friendlies", players don't really get much of a rest from competitive games, and neither do we!

Transfer windows, social media, 24/7 media coverage, the gentrification of the crowd, the ridiculous cost of attending and the even more ridiculous wages etc etc

But I love Tottenham. I always go into the new season with renewed hope even though I know deep in my heart it will peter out as always. Such a shame we couldn't take the final step last season.

For me football has always been about the whole day out and from that perspective I still enjoy it. Meeting old mates and making new ones. A few beers and a lot of laughs.

Been a fan for 51 years and still do 20+ games a season with a 5 hour minimum round trip to get there and home again.

If football is only about the winning for a particular individual it is probably not the right sport or right team for them.
That's a brilliant summing up. I'm a Spurs supporter first and foremost, not really interested in other games, unless it affects us. I don't bother watching live games unless we're playing. And that's always been the case, even before the days of blanket coverage.

Absolutely agree with this. After 55 years supporting Spurs I still get excited every season about our chances, our fixtures and our team. Transfer windows mean nothing until they're over and we see just what our squad looks like then, but for some people it's that which drives their excitement for the season. It's when I read shit like this that I think the 'support' base has gone mad:

Don Giovanni Don Giovanni 48 minutes ago
We have only made one first team signing so far, so yeah I'm not really excited fo new season at the moment unless things quickly change.

How shallow if one or two new signings make the difference between being excited about watching and supporting your team through a new season or spending the year whining on a football forum about how crap the team you 'support' is because we failed to sign the player that should have been so easy to get. Everyone's an expert!

So yes I am excited and yes I think we'll win the league and go one better in the ECL and probably win the FA Cup as well. I'll have money on us to win all three. I'll watch every game, sadly most on TV or a stream but I will get to as many live games as I can. And I won't care if we don't sign Dybala or it takes until the end of the window to sign any more players, and I don't really care if Bale doesn't come back on obscene wages just because he used to play for us, and I'll forgive Delli and Sonny and Harry and Moussa if they have the odd poor game, and I'll cry when we get to the Champions League final again and I'll understand why we can't beat the Bank of Man City. Why you may ask - am I stupid? No, it's all because I love Tottenham Hotspur!

For the last few seasons I have been ready for the football to finish. This last season the CL kept me going but our league form had me ready for a break from April really. Its a shame there is not a longer break from internationals etc.
I've supported Spurs since the 80's and am still enjoying our refreshing position as a top side, yes it's somewhat disappointing knowing that having finally got to a position to compete bar a miracle we will struggle to get above Man City but that is football and there has always been a dominant side.
I'm excited though for the new season because our players have largely had a decent break and I'm really optimistic that the signing of NDombele will significantly help the whole team structure.

Hello all, was a one time regular poster now not so much, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has lost their excitement for this coming season, and for football in general?

I don’t know if it was the CL final that killed me, or the fact we know where teams will finish before this season starts, or that football has lost all of its charm to money now but I just don’t feel the passion I once did whatsoever

Knowing domestic cups are pretty meaningless now and waiting for the Euro super league to be formed sometime soon which will be a large step to killing the game altogether.

I am just wondering if anyone else’s interest had waned at all with the whole thing?

I haven't "had enough" but the constant whinging from the usual entitled suspects on here can drag me down sometimes.

It's fucking irritating to read the same old shite from the same miserable bumpkins banging on about spending 500 million in the transfer market or we will" go backwards" 🙄

When we were shit, our fanbase was much more loyal and positive...its weird!

Anyway, decision today made to block the usual suspects. I'd rather an echo chamber of positivity than a well of whinging.

I will always support spurs, but I can also tell you now that if this exclusive European super league is formed, than that will absolutely kill football for me.

I haven't "had enough" but the constant whinging from the usual entitled suspects on here can drag me down sometimes.

It's fucking irritating to read the same old shite from the same miserable bumpkins banging on about spending 500 million in the transfer market or we will" go backwards" 🙄

When we were shit, our fanbase was much more loyal and positive...its weird!

Anyway, decision today made to block the usual suspects. I'd rather an echo chamber of positivity than a well of whinging.

I will always support spurs, but I can also tell you now that if this exclusive European super league is formed, than that will absolutely kill football for me.

Agreed

As you know I’ve been totally hooked since 1960-61 and have never lost my fanaticism and total bias towards anything Spurs but I also get fed up with negative posters who keep continually whining about us not spending enough, Levy and ENIC are cunts etc etc etc

They may have a point so just make it and shut the fuck up but they drone on and on and on ad finitum ad nauseam
We all know who most of them are and some have been doing for years and I don’t know why they even support our great club

But others are worse

They take a dislike to a particular player and during a game if that player fucks up and we concede they are positively delighted

Whenever we concede I am fucking gutted

I don’t like all of our players and whinge occasionally like we all do and get carried away in the heat of the moment like we all do but if they’re wearing our shirt then we should get behind them
Doubtless the usual suspects will be scrolling through my posts on previous match threads going back years looking for evidence of me slagging players off which was why I put in that last caveat

But these so called ‘fans ‘ keep on continuously slagging off the same players during the close season and have continued even for the first friendly

SHUT THE FUCK UP
ENOUGH ALREADY

It’s called the pre-season. Once the season has begun, I’m sure you’ll change your opinion.
We have more to be excited about now than ever. New stadium and thanks to reaching CL final, a new swagger.
I don’t agree that domestic cups are meaningless, I still love cup games. I do agree with Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor about social media, for me that has totally ruined football and turned people into fairies.
To clubs like Woolwich, social media is more important than the games, who gets the most likes is considered to be as important as a trophy. I’m worried that we are going to turn into them if we are not careful.
Look how excited they got just because their biggest flop tweeted something about our trophy cabinet.. it was the sort of comment you’d expect from a 12 year old in the playground and yet they more excited about it than if they won a trophy. It’s pathetic.

Once the whistles goes at 17-30 against Villa, all will seem good again.

It’s a a weird one for me. I class myself as a fan not a supporter since the family and Mrs came along, literally can not afford to go to the matches. Go to watch the Orient more now as it’s cheap and a cracking day out.

But we went to the champ league final, first time at new ground and by god I’ve missed that buzz. Everybody singing at Liv Street, the high road like a drunken carnival! It was like the old days lol

I will never fall out of love with Tottenham, but yes modern football isn’t for me

Back
Top Bottom