Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The club needs to buy up all the master tapes of this game and pay Google to scrub it from the Internet, anyone who watches this game wouldn't pay this guy more than 2k a week. He looked like some bum from the National League North we'd given a trial to. I've got this horrible feeling we're gonna get lumbered with him till his contract runs out.
Another shit player that has made millions from football.
The cunt has literally won the fucking lottery.
Please don't tell me he is Spurs through and through because that cannot be the case he lacks effort desire and goes through the motions.
Tonight it was like watching a 10 year old child trying to play with the big boys.

Another shit player that has made millions from football.
The cunt has literally won the fucking lottery.
Please don't tell me he is Spurs through and through because that cannot be the case he lacks effort desire and goes through the motions.
Tonight it was like watching a 10 year old child trying to play with the big boys.
its not just tonight, its every time he plays, hes so many levels below these premier league players its scary. he doesnt even look better than some of the dross you get in europa, he still looks physically inferior in them games.

we will know instantly if the next manager has a chance of being decent or not, if winks is in the squad for his first game you can write him off straight away.

I have genuinely come around to hating the cunt - last player was Ghaly in recent time

Coward little wanker who ran to the press like a rat already a few times. Has the physical built and skill of an 11 year old.

We went from 2nd in the table to 10th in 4 years as soon as this fraud shit-cunt became a regular

I've said for years this guy is not powerful enough and lacks the understanding where danger is to play DM, maybe he could have played higher up the pitch
still think for what we may get for him we might keep him to pad out the club trained part of our squad

A lot of dicks praised him for year's . It was obvious from the start he was limited , weak ,
slow, average technical ability, a typical light weight academy player that could not influence a game.
Shows levy controls everything , should have moved him on but priced him out of the market or the madness he will come good.
He will be around for years because Levy lives for pound notes and not football.

The moment for me that did it was we were countering.
Tanganga run ahead of him and rather than playing the pass around the Villa defender so thAT Tanganga was through he just played the pass on the outside and the attack was over.

He's useless.

The moment for me that did it was we were countering.
Tanganga run ahead of him and rather than playing the pass around the Villa defender so thAT Tanganga was through he just played the pass on the outside and the attack was over.

He's useless.
He's literally sabotaging the club every time he plays - we should consider laying criminal charges

Never thought a player could make me miss Sissoko being in the team.

Then Winks got a run of games.

Stumbled upon this old article last night. Some interesting comments from Poch, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it all.

Mauricio Pochettino warns Harry Winks he needs to dedicate himself to football to be a Tottenham and England regular​

14 SEPTEMBER 2018 • 12:00PM

Mauricio Pochettino has warned his young English midfielder Harry Winks that if he is to become a regular for club and country then he needs to dedicate himself to football and “not the business around football."

The Tottenham Hotspur manager also said that Winks, 22, who has one England cap, would have to learn to play “with pain” and that in the life of a professional it is almost impossible to be completely fit and pain-free for every game. Winks is in contention to start Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off against Liverpool, having made three substitute appearances this season following a long injury lay-off that claimed the final three months of last season.

Winks injured an ankle against Crystal Palace in November and struggled on to the end of February, playing his last game against Rochdale in the FA Cup fifth round on Feb 28. He eventually had surgery in May and went to Qatar to work on his rehabilitation. Pochettino chose his words carefully at the club’s training ground this week, praising the player but also warning him that he needed to make sacrifices if he was to fulfil the potential that many, including England manager Gareth Southgate, believe he has.

Pochettino said that Winks had the “perfect” profile for a midfielder but was cautious of praising him too much in case his “head [grows big]”. “The perception will be ‘Wow’ and the reality is ‘You still need to prove [yourself]’. The characteristics are perfect to play football. When we talk about midfielders like Xavi and [Andres] Iniesta, he’s like this type of player, but, please, he needs to take my words in a very positive way. He needs a lot of work.

“He has the possibility and the potential of course but now it is up to him and we go again: mentality. In his mind he [has to be] capable to learn about suffering; that there never is enough training, always try to be better. Football is his focus, not business that is around football. Maybe [if he learns this] he will arrive to play in a very good level and be one of the best midfielders in England.

“It is not my advice it is only how I describe the reality. If he wants to take it, take it … but of course his potential is to be a very, very good player for England and Tottenham, first for Tottenham and then if England believe that he can help them for England too.”

Pochettino said that Winks also had to learn that most professional footballers managed pain, and that it was “impossible” to expect to play without it. “You use your body for work. You push your body from a very young age. It is not a healthy sport and you always try to push your body and touch the limits and sometimes cross. For him, it was new. He had a serious operation last summer and of course that is something that will always be there.

“The psychology [required] is that you have suffered and are not free. You need to learn to live with this situation and he is now much better and stronger in his mentality. I am sure he will make a step up. It is only time to get to his best for the team."

Stumbled upon this old article last night. Some interesting comments from Poch, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it all.

Mauricio Pochettino warns Harry Winks he needs to dedicate himself to football to be a Tottenham and England regular​

14 SEPTEMBER 2018 • 12:00PM

Mauricio Pochettino has warned his young English midfielder Harry Winks that if he is to become a regular for club and country then he needs to dedicate himself to football and “not the business around football."

The Tottenham Hotspur manager also said that Winks, 22, who has one England cap, would have to learn to play “with pain” and that in the life of a professional it is almost impossible to be completely fit and pain-free for every game. Winks is in contention to start Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off against Liverpool, having made three substitute appearances this season following a long injury lay-off that claimed the final three months of last season.

Winks injured an ankle against Crystal Palace in November and struggled on to the end of February, playing his last game against Rochdale in the FA Cup fifth round on Feb 28. He eventually had surgery in May and went to Qatar to work on his rehabilitation. Pochettino chose his words carefully at the club’s training ground this week, praising the player but also warning him that he needed to make sacrifices if he was to fulfil the potential that many, including England manager Gareth Southgate, believe he has.

Pochettino said that Winks had the “perfect” profile for a midfielder but was cautious of praising him too much in case his “head [grows big]”. “The perception will be ‘Wow’ and the reality is ‘You still need to prove [yourself]’. The characteristics are perfect to play football. When we talk about midfielders like Xavi and [Andres] Iniesta, he’s like this type of player, but, please, he needs to take my words in a very positive way. He needs a lot of work.

“He has the possibility and the potential of course but now it is up to him and we go again: mentality. In his mind he [has to be] capable to learn about suffering; that there never is enough training, always try to be better. Football is his focus, not business that is around football. Maybe [if he learns this] he will arrive to play in a very good level and be one of the best midfielders in England.

“It is not my advice it is only how I describe the reality. If he wants to take it, take it … but of course his potential is to be a very, very good player for England and Tottenham, first for Tottenham and then if England believe that he can help them for England too.”

Pochettino said that Winks also had to learn that most professional footballers managed pain, and that it was “impossible” to expect to play without it. “You use your body for work. You push your body from a very young age. It is not a healthy sport and you always try to push your body and touch the limits and sometimes cross. For him, it was new. He had a serious operation last summer and of course that is something that will always be there.

“The psychology [required] is that you have suffered and are not free. You need to learn to live with this situation and he is now much better and stronger in his mentality. I am sure he will make a step up. It is only time to get to his best for the team."

I just think he was wrong and he was wrong about a lot of young players. Onomah, average Championship player. CCV, Very good Championship player, maybe lower Prem level. Poch saw both as potential first teamers and needlessly kept them hanging around the club. I really don't think his forte was youth development at all. Winks is his biggest mistake though, should never have been groomed to be a first teamer, should have been given a few games and sold for 10 million or so.

I just think he was wrong and he was wrong about a lot of young players. Onomah, average Championship player. CCV, Very good Championship player, maybe lower Prem level. Poch saw both as potential first teamers and needlessly kept them hanging around the club. I really don't think his forte was youth development at all. Winks is his biggest mistake though, should never have been groomed to be a first teamer, should have been given a few games and sold for 10 million or so.
What do you think he was saying in those quotes? It sounds to me like he was saying Winks was putting his feet up a bit too quickly.

Other than that, I agree with what you are saying.

What do you think he was saying in those quotes? It sounds to me like he was saying Winks was putting his feet up a bit too quickly.

Other than that, I agree with what you are saying.

He's saying he lacks the mentality to be a top player, which is true, I don't believe he ever had the talent to be one either though, so he never really had that much going for him in truth.

He's saying he lacks the mentality to be a top player, which is true, I don't believe he ever had the talent to be one either though, so he never really had that much going for him in truth.
It's hard to say for sure, but even at the beginning of Poch's last season here, it looked as though Winks was very much in his plans as a holding midfielder for us, did it not? Very strange stuff.

This sums up the vast majority of the fanbase too unfortunately. Every year there is a mass ejaculation about 1 or more kids coming through and how good they're gonna be.
And 99 times out of 100 those players are nowhere near PL class.

People watch kids games and think they're gonna be great in the men's game. It's incomparable. Literally boys against men.

Anyway back to Winks. I've been saying since before the start of LAST season he's fucking useless, adds nothing and, on his off days, is almost solely to blame for us playing terrible, awful, unattractive football.
He spent 78 minutes yesterday strolling around midfield being bypassed with consummate ease over and over. When he did get the ball he pretty much always lost it or took the safest option possible.
As another poster alluded to, the absolute epitome of Winks was him getting the ball, with most of the Villa players in our 3rd, and instead of playing the ball up to the running Tanganga, he held it, held it, held it a bit longer and then fucked the pass.

He is endemic of the problems at our club. He, Dier, Sanchez, Davies, Lamela etc have ALL clung on for far, far too long. Their inability to perform either as starters or as back up when needed has festered a feeling of mediocrity.

I mean it when I say this but I suspect they're dragging our better players mentality down.
Kane looks exasperated so often. Eriksen was a lumbering wreck for a year. Son has lost his smile. I'm pretty sure TND is wondering why on earth he signed for us with his reputation at the time so high.

Just fuck em all off. If Kanes going, sell them all. Sick of the sight of them bottling games year after year.

Back
Top Bottom