Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hardly me writing Winks off, is it? The first two comments were in response to you saying we needed no signings whatsoever because of the emergence of Lesniak. You also said Onomah would explode this season. I stand by my comments on Barkley and Winks and that's not an insult, I genuinely think Barkley is one of the most talented english players there are. I think one of the comments were also in response to you saying Winks is better than Fabregas. You're the crazy one here

You have consitantly called me deluded and mental for the faith Ive shown in Wínks and the academy.

Your post where you tell fans to "fuck off" with their "noble appraoch" regarding the academy says it all.
I said Winks is better for this team than Fabregas and Id pick him every day of the week. I stand for that, just like you do regarding Barkley, who to be honest, no one can even remember the last time he played a game, let alone a good one.

So what if I said Onomah would explode? How dare I back him?

Fucking hypocrite, crying because I said Dele was poor, and wanted him dropped for other SPURS players...... and here you are basically claiming some Everton nobody would have done a better job against Modric last night than Winks did...jog on

Last edited:
Winks was fantastic last night, metronome is the perfect word for it. He is just a really clever footballer, receives the ball, opens up, switches it. Some people may call that negative sideways passing but it is also exactly what Modric does, only difference is that Modric has perfected the art of finding the perfect through ball whereas Winks is still getting there. His work for the goal should shut up anyone saying he is too lightweight, shielded him off as if he was Dembele. Also he is actually pretty quick for someone of his playing style, showed a few times last night he has the ability to burst forward into space when needed.

England just don't make the type of footballer that Winks is and these sorts of players go under appreciated in the UK and IMO that is why you constantly underachieve, mind is set on always going forwards and playing with speed. Even when you guys look to keep possession it is almost like you are too eager to pull the trigger and play a silly through ball/cross. A guy like Carrick should have got a hundred caps for England, you need that quiet achiever in the team sitting deep and intercepting passes, recycling the ball from one side to another. Spain/Barca have Busquets, Italy and Juve had Pirlo, United had Scholes in their hey day, Xabi Alonso for Spain, Madrid and Liverpool, Xavi for Barca, the list goes on. Off the top of my head the only other English players that play in this style right now are Tom Carroll and maybe James Ward-Prowse could be that guy with a bit of better coaching. I am not saying Winks is going to be like Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc, but he has got the same skill set as a lot of these guys. It is just a matter of how good he gets at doing this job but he looks incredibly promising.

Also anyone bemoaning him for playing too many sideways passes last night can get in the bin.

Winks was fantastic last night, metronome is the perfect word for it. He is just a really clever footballer, receives the ball, opens up, switches it. Some people may call that negative sideways passing but it is also exactly what Modric does, only difference is that Modric has perfected the art of finding the perfect through ball whereas Winks is still getting there. His work for the goal should shut up anyone saying he is too lightweight, shielded him off as if he was Dembele. Also he is actually pretty quick for someone of his playing style, showed a few times last night he has the ability to burst forward into space when needed.

England just don't make the type of footballer that Winks is and these sorts of players go under appreciated in the UK and IMO that is why you constantly underachieve, mind is set on always going forwards and playing with speed. Even when you guys look to keep possession it is almost like you are too eager to pull the trigger and play a silly through ball/cross. A guy like Carrick should have got a hundred caps for England, you need that quiet achiever in the team sitting deep and intercepting passes, recycling the ball from one side to another. Spain/Barca have Busquets, Italy and Juve had Pirlo, United had Scholes in their hey day, Xabi Alonso for Spain, Madrid and Liverpool, Xavi for Barca, the list goes on. Off the top of my head the only other English players that play in this style right now are Tom Carroll and maybe James Ward-Prowse could be that guy with a bit of better coaching. I am not saying Winks is going to be like Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc, but he has got the same skill set as a lot of these guys. It is just a matter of how good he gets at doing this job but he looks incredibly promising.

Also anyone bemoaning him for playing too many sideways passes last night can get in the bin.
massive +1

winks will be the very player england hoped cuntshire would be .

Someone else said he wouldn't have looked out of place playing for Madrid, which is a great point.

I reckon playing against Modric and Kroos at this age will have such a huge influence on Winks.

He looks like a gem.

I don't agree with your faint praise to be honest. We did enough to deserve a win and were robbed of it by inconsistent refereeing. If the ref wasn't going to give us a penalty then he should not have given Madrid one, especially since the latter included an element of diving that the foul on Llorente did not. Without that penalty we'd be enjoying a famous win right now.
Even if we got the penalty - there is not way to know for certain what the final score would have been

What I like about him is that he doesn't appear nervous at all, he just looks like he is used to it. He's only 21 and hasn't played much yet but you don't pick up on any self doubt. And it's not all down to Poch, we've had other young players come in and play the same position as Winks, but none have looked so assured, even when they've displayed ability. Very much looking forward to seeing him develop further.

Love how well he uses his body and low center of gravity.

Wise player beyond his years. Hopefully this is only the tip of the iceberg.

DMxH8c3X4AAA7RJ.jpg

We should comb the postcode for any other footballing Harrys...

Looks like this one's gonna be a star too! :levywhoa:

His ball skills get all the praise but I’ve really been impressed with his ball-winning skills. For a tiny guy he’s feisty in a challenge.

His ball skills get all the praise but I’ve really been impressed with his ball-winning skills. For a tiny guy he’s feisty in a challenge.
He’s got a huge set of cajones to go with his other balling skills.
What a team we’ve got here. We owe so much to Pochettino (& Levy for backing him in the market) for giving us (well me at least) the finest spurs team I’ve ever had the good fortune to see.
Huge quality & gutsy characters throughout.
I wonder what Maradona made of today’s performance?

Back
Top Bottom