Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Technically yeah but several were penalties, no?

Going back to last year, how many goals has he scored against top level teams that weren't penalties...I could bet that his "Goal (non PK) to games played" ratio is less than 1/3 which isn't great for a world class player like Kane. I'm not trying to be negative but trying to look at his performance a little deeper than just number of goals scored. On the bright side, he's on the right track and he's getting back to form.
I'm Pretty sure Kane was injured last year right?

I'm Pretty sure Kane was injured last year right?

he absolutely was injured so going forward, he needs to produce on a consistent basis against good teams. by "produce" i'm not talking about PKs. this is the only way we get back to the top 4 and maybe win some kind of trophy. if he's our talisman, he needs to be the one stepping up in the biggest games and get us some Ws. from here on out, there's little margin for error and it begins with Kane. the last couple games have been promising.

Going back to last year, how many goals has he scored against top level teams that weren't penalties...I could bet that his "Goal (non PK) to games played" ratio is less than 1/3 which isn't great for a world class player like Kane. I'm not trying to be negative but trying to look at his performance a little deeper than just number of goals scored. On the bright side, he's on the right track and he's getting back to form.

Provide the stats then.... (If you're genuinely interested in analysis, they can't be to difficult to compile.)

....Why post unsubstantiated supposition?

he absolutely was injured so going forward, he needs to produce on a consistent basis against good teams. by "produce" i'm not talking about PKs. this is the only way we get back to the top 4 and maybe win some kind of trophy. if he's our talisman, he needs to be the one stepping up in the biggest games and get us some Ws. from here on out, there's little margin for error and it begins with Kane. the last couple games have been promising.
team appearances goals assists

Woolwich 11 10 2
chelsea 12 6 2
liverpool 11 6 2
manunited 10 2 1
man city 9 2 2

totals 53 26 9

so Kane has been involved in 34 goals in 53 apps against the top six but he needs to do more, thats why you have team mates my friend.

Provide the stats then.... (If you're genuinely interested in analysis, they can't be to difficult to compile.)

....Why post unsubstantiated supposition?

Ok, lets start with these five EPL teams.

HK's stats since last season...

OPPONENT: GAMES PLAYED / NON-PK GOALS (ASSISTS)
LIVERPOOL: 4/1
MAN CITY: 3/0
MAN UTD: 2/1 (1)
CHELSEA: 2/1
Woolwich: 4/0 (1)
TOTAL: 15/3 (2)
Non PK Goal Rate: ~20%

So back to my point... we aren't going to win anything with our talisman producing so infrequently against our top competitors. The PK's distort reality.

OPPONENT: GAMES / NON-PK GOALS (ASSISTS)

So back to my point... we aren't going to win anything with our talisman producing so infrequently against our top competitors. The PK's distort reality.

....Are those games HK played or just fixtures?

Either way, luckily enough PK's also "distort" the result... A point won with a penalty is still 3 points.

How can we say for certain that it's not Kane that's been the issue but our style of play? The boy certainly looks rejuvenated under the new gaffer.

It's games started by HK unfortunately. 20% isn't good, even for an attacker that isn't a striker. need to get him to turn that around quick.

Still glosses over the reality that if a team's not playing well a CF is not likely to score as much.

53 (P) / 26 (G) / 9 (A) has eased any concerns I may have had.

Still glosses over the reality that if a team's not playing well a CF is not likely to score as much.

53 (P) / 26 (G) / 9 (A) has eased any concerns I may have had.

I’m not saying that he doesn’t score. I said that he hasn’t performed well against top teams and his non PK goal record shows that. I think you’re also forgetting that we were playing fine when Kane was absent towards the latter half of the season last year. Our Champions League run was done in spite of Kane.

I’m not saying that he doesn’t score. I said that he hasn’t performed well against top teams and his non PK goal record shows that.

See prev. points.... I don't think that does show that "he hasn’t performed well against top teams".

Sorry to quote myself but "53 (P) / 26 (G) / 9 (A) has eased any concerns I may have had."

I think you’re also forgetting that we were playing fine when Kane was absent towards the latter half of the season last year. Our Champions League run was done in spite of Kane.

I'd argue strongly that we were getting results... Not playing "fine" (CL run included).

mirror27.jpg

Are we in a parallel universe where penalties don't count anymore? You're talking nonsense.
Either way, what matters is the team result. Gazzaniga can win every match with a penalty as far as I care. But Kane is breaking all kinds of scoring records. Why you feel the need to doubt him is a mystery.

irrelevant.

Some people still think of him as a flat-track bully for some reason.

He’s a threat against anybody. He’s more than proven himself. He’s in our top 3 goal scorers of all time, and extremely likely to be in our top 2. Legendary status achieved already, in my book.

If he eclipses Greaves we’re literally talking statue and stand-name status.
And Saturday afternoon football show with Andy Robertson or Charlie Adam?

Yes, Harry Kane is our main striker, but against the top sides, it can't all be down to him scoring goals. Sometimes he might end up occupying the defence, which creates space for others.

Kane almost always has 2 defenders on him at all times. This is why the Kane-Alli partnership works so well, especially when you have players out wide occupying the full backs. It forces the opposition to make a choice. 2 on Kane, means Alli will have the space, or 1 on Kane & 1 on Alli, means that Kane is more likely to find joy.

Yes, Harry Kane is our main striker, but against the top sides, it can't all be down to him scoring goals. Sometimes he might end up occupying the defence, which creates space for others.

Kane almost always has 2 defenders on him at all times. This is why the Kane-Alli partnership works so well, especially when you have players out wide occupying the full backs. It forces the opposition to make a choice. 2 on Kane, means Alli will have the space, or 1 on Kane & 1 on Alli, means that Kane is more likely to find joy.
If the defence doubles or triples up on Kane and Dele, it creates space that Son or Lucas will take advantage of.

Back
Top Bottom