GYLFI SIGURÐSSON TO SPURS....DONE!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: GYLFI SIGURDSSON TO SPURS....MAYBE

Really impressed with him last season, if we sign him then that would be great as we know he can operate wide if need be and certainly in the middle or behind the front man. I don't see him as an immediate replacement for Rafa but long term it is possible and if so, a little forward thinking is great work from the board.

We couldn't have gone after a player like this when we had a manager who couldn't spell and wrote like a two-year-old.

"Can't spell his name. No wonder he's in the fucking reserves."

penpen said:
HyNdZee said:
fjenebeck said:
Seems like some ppl think this is a replacement for Luka, but that's wrong. This feels more like a complement to VDV, but it also gives me a feeling that's vdv is on his way away from White Hart Lane..

Glyfi's starting position is deep like Luka's. He just scores a shitload of direct goals instead of only scoring when the opportunity is perfect. Of course he isn't a like-for-like replacement for Luka, but he isn't like Rafa either.

I think Luka will be first out if it happens though. We might even see Rafa in more of a Luka role in some matches, like he plays for Holland (for 70 minutes anyway).

I thought it was undisputed he was played in the CAM role for Swansea in their 4-2-3-1 with Allen and Britton or others as the deeper mids.

Yep, he is a CAM in the sense that Frank Lampard is a CAM - at least that is how Brendan Rodgers described him. The Swansea set-up allowed him to make runs into the box, but he doesn't start as high up as Rafa would. Rafa plays directly off the striker, what some would describe as a CF role if you consider Lampard a CAM.

Put it this way, he wouldn't look out of place in the centre of a 4-4-2, whereas Rafa would probably be more likely to leave us light unless the defensive midfielder was on fire. No doubt they could both do jobs in a range of positions though.

For the same reason that ArseAnal suddenly signing ever striker in Europe signals (for me) the end of RVP there... if this deal goes through, it's SURELY the end of Little Luka's London Adventure (it's a series of How-to Books aimed at under 5's!)

While I'm on the subject of ArseAnal... anyone see this quote from Giroud?

Giroud, whose contract will begin on 1st July, added: "I am delighted to be here at Woolwich and to be part of one of the great teams in English football.

"I was attracted by the philosophy of football and Arsene Wenger's 'touch' at this club.

I#ll let ypu draw your own conclusions as to how that particular 'meeting' went!

HyNdZee said:
Yep, he is a CAM in the sense that Frank Lampard is a CAM - at least that is how Brendan Rodgers described him. The Swansea set-up allowed him to make runs into the box, but he doesn't start as high up as Rafa would. Rafa plays directly off the striker, what some would describe as a CF role if you consider Lampard a CAM.

Put it this way, he wouldn't look out of place in the centre of a 4-4-2, whereas Rafa would probably be more likely to leave us light unless the defensive midfielder was on fire. No doubt they could both do jobs in a range of positions though.

That makes sense. Siggy does seem to have a better defensive work rate and positioning than Rafa which makes sense considering he is 7 years younger and has 1-2 more knees worth of cartilage.

So more evidence of Modric to Madrid as 1882 mentioned then. Sigh.

AVB would play 4-3-3, so Sigurdsson playing as the most offensive of the midfield three but still starting deep would make sense.

Of course, our manager could always end up being Jacques Santini.

It seems it is now Daniel's policy to only sign players whose names contain at least 10 letters in a subtle but clever ploy to extract more money from the fans through shirt sales. Isn't it something mad like £1.50 per letter on the shirt?

:levystare:

I don't understand why everyone thinks this means VDV is going. I know that as spurs fans over the last few years we've totally forgotten what squad rotation is but it still exists somewhere out there. Adding Sigurdsson makes our team significantly deeper and younger. He can bounce around a few different positions like Krancjar except he's younger and potentially better. Plus it is isn't like Rafa is some sort of iron man, he could certainly pick up an injury and who would we have to play for him then? Love this signing if it happens.

JDK said:
I don't understand why everyone thinks this means VDV is going. I know that as spurs fans over the last few years we've totally forgotten what squad rotation is but it still exists somewhere out there. Adding Sigurdsson makes our team significantly deeper and younger. He can bounce around a few different positions like Krancjar except he's younger and potentially better. Plus it is isn't like Rafa is some sort of iron man, he could certainly pick up an injury and who would we have to play for him then? Love this signing if it happens.

All depends how Levy feels about taking a loss on VDV -- can see his fitness deteriorating pretty badly over the next year or two (he's got Ledley Knees), so this might be the last summer to really recoup his fee.

jimmyriggle said:
It seems it is now Daniel's policy to only sign players whose names contain at least 10 letters in a subtle but clever ploy to extract more money from the fans through shirt sales. Isn't it something mad like £1.50 per letter on the shirt?

Which means that Rafa won't be leaving, right? Huzzah!

He is still officially on loan to some team. He is officially not on the July 1st.

JULY THE FIRST.... THIS DATE HAS BEEN USED FOR MANY THINGS. AVB... Vertonghen.

antastic said:
jimmyriggle said:

Which means that Rafa won't be leaving, right? Huzzah!

Yeah but say goodbye to King and Bale.

Back
Top Bottom