Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've been very impressed with the last 2 games. Totally dominating and very good distribution. The first game was clearly all nerves. Nice scouting for him as nobody else was on this guy.
I can tell you pretty much what happened ... for some weird reason Serie A teams seemed to deflate him, on the reasoning that other teams were not getting him. Pretty unlucky for him, but lucky for Tottenham. Even when it became clear he was so good, still some were sceptical, solely from an emotional "why did noone else get him so far then?"

Liking Vicario's performances, especially in the last two games. I do think that we're seeing a combination of his own talents with the addition of Micky van de Ven in front of him - I have little doubt that he'd be facing worse situations if Dier was in the starting XI.

Either way, such a breath of fresh air after having to watch Hugo's painful decline.

From my deep dive on Spursplay for my ratings I noted numerous examples of poor distribution going straight to the opposition and difficult passes for our players to keep possession from. Not impressed. He had little to do, what he did do save wise was basic stuff. What he had to do mostly was distribution and that wasn't good.

His long and medium passing is quite decent. He rarely makes a pass that puts the receiving player under a lot of pressure (Lloris did that a lot) and has made some press-splitting passes that have been beauties. And that from a keeper that is not used to playing for a team that plays out from the back. He also knows when to go long and when to go short.

And I love how he is always at the edge of his box and catching balls before the opposition forwards get to them. I see a lot of keepers dither too much in these situations, which puts the defender under pressure and leads to opposition chances that could have easily been snuffed out.

His long and medium passing is quite decent. He rarely makes a pass that puts the receiving player under a lot of pressure (Lloris did that a lot) and has made some press-splitting passes that have been beauties. And that from a keeper that is not used to playing for a team that plays out from the back. He also knows when to go long and when to go short.

And I love how he is always at the edge of his box and catching balls before the opposition forwards get to them. I see a lot of keepers dither too much in these situations, which puts the defender under pressure and leads to opposition chances that could have easily been snuffed out.

7 examples of poor distribution I logged while doing my ratings. I suggest you watch the game again.

Plus, I think he’s improved in the buildup in each of the 3 games. Thought brentford was his weakest and there were several poor/risky passes where bissouma bailed him out, but he was flawless against Bournemouth.

7 examples of poor distribution I logged while doing my ratings. I suggest you watch the game again.
I'd say Tottenham can be happy about him so far.
Saves wise he was solid, and I doubt Raya would have saved Casemiro's header (I think it was Casemiro's). That could have easily become a 1 - 1. With regards to his feet, Tottenham isn't exactly known for their rock solid defence. For a keeper that moved not only to a new team, but to another league too, I'd say his distribution has been pretty good so far.
Onana is the goalkeeper with the best distribution skills (in my opinion), and even he is struggling after making the move from Inter to Man United (despite having CL experience).
There will always be something to complain about, we could have a 25 year old Buffon and some people would still not be happy.

I can tell you pretty much what happened ... for some weird reason Serie A teams seemed to deflate him, on the reasoning that other teams were not getting him. Pretty unlucky for him, but lucky for Tottenham. Even when it became clear he was so good, still some were sceptical, solely from an emotional "why did noone else get him so far then?"
We seemed to have got the jump on the big Italian teams for both him and Udogie.

IIRC, Inter were looking at him as Onana's replacement, but we were quicker and paid the bigger fee.

Same with Udogie and Juve. We just swooped in, paid up and accepted the season on loan demand from his club.

I'd say Tottenham can be happy about him so far.
Saves wise he was solid, and I doubt Raya would have saved Casemiro's header (I think it was Casemiro's). That could have easily become a 1 - 1. With regards to his feet, Tottenham isn't exactly known for their rock solid defence. For a keeper that moved not only to a new team, but to another league too, I'd say his distribution has been pretty good so far.
Onana is the goalkeeper with the best distribution skills (in my opinion), and even he is struggling after making the move from Inter to Man United (despite having CL experience).
There will always be something to complain about, we could have a 25 year old Buffon and some people would still not be happy.

I'm not complaining, just calling what I saw. Like I said, try watching again.

Back
Top Bottom