Guglielmo Vicario

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As a chap who played keeper at a decent level and trained keepers for some years... I love him. Very agile and pretty good positioning (which is the most important thing). Keepers rely on timing and confidence and it looks like he's building those.

I reckon he'll be exceptional.
...but what would I know?

I used to worry about life without Hugo. Not only have we replaced his shot stopping, we've actually ungraded hugely in terms of ability on the ball.
i think hes an upgrade on shot stopping. i dont think hell be getting beat by many shots outside the box. he looks top draw. doesnt cack his pants when the balls at his feet either like lloris would.

be interesting to see at the end of season but im tipping him to let the fewest amount of shots outside the box in.

I'm really loving our keeper.

I can now see what those people who had watched him in Serie A were talking about. His shot stopping is world class, he is cool and confident on the ball, has a real presence in the box.

And to think, 5 years ago he was playing in Serie D. He's done it the hard way, climbed the ladder season by season. It's a massive jump to go from Empoli to Spurs, so of course there were some nerves in his first game, but he seems to be settling in very well now.

And he just seems like a nice lad to boot, and also speaks perfect English, which I did not expect.

It's a long shot, but I hope he gets a chance to start in one of Italy's matches.
it will happen eventually ..... Spalletti new coach, and he can only ignore him so long as he plays for Empoli. Especially if we go to CL next season and he gets to play in CL too.

Just one comment I found on redcafe, i think it was after the first header's save. Soon all EPL will have to know him.

image.png

Also, just found a video on Vicario 2 months ago "behind the scenes" (just look for "guglielmo vicario behind the scenes).
At 1.54, he's saying his english needs to improve a lot (he says it in english) ... I think he is humble and very determined.

Also, his reaction upon seeing the stadium is very telling about why he was shaky at first.
Skip to 2.05, where he says "lo stadio" (the stadium) ... and then makes an exclamation about the virgin mary, like saying "oh god ....." ... then stops to take pictures while inside, like a tourist (2.45).

At around 3.10 ... you can hear "bello alto qua eh" ... which is "it's quite high from here eh" ... "you can't see well". Then they look at the pictures he took and I'm sure you can understand "bellissimo". At 3.58 he gets excited upon seeing his name and picture on the screen.

Now, if you consider that he was playing in one of the worst stadiums in Italy (picture below), you can understand why he must have suffered the jump initially. Of course you will be shaken at first when you have pre-season against Barcelona, and find yourself playing in a home ground with fans that are so close (and not that far like in that old stadium), with different expectations too.

stadio-carlo-castellani-interno-vista-panorama-panoramica-640x360.jpeg

Last edited:
it will happen eventually ..... Spalletti new coach, and he can only ignore him so long as he plays for Empoli. Especially if we go to CL next season and he gets to play in CL too.
Spalletti refused to call up Udogie. I hope you're right.

Just one comment I found on redcafe, i think it was after the first header's save. Soon all EPL will have to know him.

image.png

Also, just found a video on Vicario 2 months ago "behind the scenes" (just look for "guglielmo vicario behind the scenes).
At 1.54, he's saying his english needs to improve a lot (he says it in english) ... I think he is humble and very determined.

Also, his reaction upon seeing the stadium is very telling about why he was shaky at first.
Skip to 2.05, where he says "lo stadio" (the stadium) ... and then makes an exclamation about the virgin mary, like saying "oh god ....." ... then stops to take pictures while inside, like a tourist (2.45).

At around 3.10 ... you can hear "bello alto qua eh" ... which is "it's quite high from here eh" ... "you can't see well". Then they look at the pictures he took and I'm sure you can understand "bellissimo". At 3.58 he gets excited upon seeing his name and picture on the screen.

Now, if you consider that he was playing in one of the worst stadiums in Italy (picture below), you can understand why he must have suffered the jump initially. Of course you will be shaken at first when you have pre-season against Barcelona, and find yourself playing in a home ground with fans that are so close (and not that far like in that old stadium), with different expectations too.

stadio-carlo-castellani-interno-vista-panorama-panoramica-640x360.jpeg
yea was defo nervy at the start, looks completely different now. looks so confident and assured. going to be a massive keeper for us.

Back
Top Bottom